Our best posts
- IllumiNOT-Me: 10 Ways Rappers Deny Being in the Illuminati
- Kanye West Is Not a Jackass
- From Art Basel to Art Yeezy: Kanye's "New Slaves" Projections as Contemporary Art
- Slap Genius: Hip Hop's Best Slaps
- Top 50 Songs of 2013 // January - June
- When Hip Hop Goes to Court: Rap Lawsuits and Music Law
- Why No One Has Killed Your Favorite Rapper
- Trap Geniuses: Why Selling Rap is like Selling Crack
- The Rapper's Flow Encyclopedia
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations
- The Beastie Chronicles — I
- Verse to Verse: Arcade Fire
- Top 10 Television Theme Songs
- Verse to Verse: Jay-Z
- Verse to Verse: Kanye West
- Rap Genius Presents: The Top 100 Rap Songs of 2012
- Scarface: The Holy Bible of Rap Music
- Great Expectations: The RapGenius Guide to Rap Albums in 2013
- The Personification of Hip-Hop
- NEW VIDEO from the latest verified rapper on Rap Genius: 50 Cent
- NAS INTERVIEW: why Nas wants to explain his own lyrics on Rap Genius
- Showing Our Poetry Love
- Rappers Crying
- Life is Good's Future Impact
- GODFATHERS OF RAP GENIUS: Ben Horowitz Interviews Steve Stoute
- Rap Genius Explanation Competition
- The Top 5 People Rappers Reference
- RapGenius Ranks the First Half of 2012
- Hannibal Buress: First Comedian Verified on Rap Genius
- Bricks to Billboard, Grams to Grammys: Rap Genius' Top 25 Jay-Z Verses
- A$AP ROCKY INTERVIEW: Maboo v. Nardwuar
- RGU Lesson Two: Me and the Devil Blues
- RGU Lesson One: The Signifyin' Monkey
- What Does Trust Mean in the Rap Game?
- Who's this new Bada$$ kid???: A UK Perspective
- Bragging in Hip Hop
- Professor Rapper: 7 Uncommon Black History Facts as Told by Kendrick Lamar
- Rap Genius goes Inside the Lines with Mac Miller
- An Open Letter from Donald Glover
- Interview With B Horowitz: RG Verified Blogger
- Rap Genius Interviews B.o.B.
- Rap vs. Ronald Reagan
- Drake Says He's The First Person To Successfully Rap And Sing. Here's why he's wrong.
- Are the fans getting more ignorant?
- Rap Genius Nas interview PREVIEW
- Operation Free Earl
- Rap Genius of the Month: Big Ghostfase
- The Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011
- What to Expect from Rap Albums in 2012: The RapGenius Guide to Listening Safely in a Hype-Cycled Universe
- SUBJECT: Jones, Russel Tyrone
- 30 Rock: On Gunplay and 2Chainz
- Why There Will Never be a 'GOAT' in Hip-Hop: An Extensive Analysis
- Top 100 Rap Songs of 2011
- The Direction of Hip-Hop
- The Navy Seal Who Killed Osama bin Laden loves That "Red Nation" Track MTV Banned
- The Recent History Of Mixtape Trolling
- Machine Gun Kelly Inside the Lines
- Rappers' Obsession with Jewish Culture
- Stereo IQ's Top Albums of 2012
- Is The Rap Game Pretentious?
- R.A THE RUGGED MAN AND EMINEM: BEEF, OR NO BEEF?
- Is Pete Rock's Disappointment Justified?
- Five Tips For Unsigned Rappers
- Dear Shyne, Ask Yourself: 'What Is A Classic Album?' Ya Bish!
- My Philosophy on Socrates References in Rap
- You Can't Rap, But You Can Make A Song
- Rap Genius Political Appointees 2012
- "Six Minutes, Slim Shady, You're On"
- WTF is a Basquiat?
- Retrospect for Lu: One Year Later...
- "Triple Beam Dreams": A Reinvigoration of Tradition
- Rap Geniuses of the Month: Kembe X / Alex Wiley
- Black Star: Let's ALL Get Down!
- Freak Wit It - The Five Greatest Censored Versions of Hip Hop Songs
- Inside the Rappers Studio: A Witty Nicki Minaj?
- Top 10 Lines From Drake's "Take Care"
- Don’t Become a Rapper If: A Checklist
- All in the Name of P***Y: 7 Women Who Made Fresh Beef Into Poison Meat
- Fuck You; Pay Me (By Not Buying My Music)
- The Many Nicknames of Lil Wayne
- Can’t Wait To Be King: If J. Cole Really Were Simba
- Kill Whitey: Top 10 Corporate Greed Rap Lyrics
- Rappers: They're Just Like Us!
- Is it right to hate fame?
- Which Throne are You Watching?
- Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor: All the Lyrics Explained
- Introducing the Rap Map™ - your guide through the gangsta terrain of the planet
- 10 Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas For The Hip Hop/Music Lover
- Lupe Fiasco: The Proust of Rap
- Hella Based: The Many Faces of Lil B
- Liquid Swords: Rap Genius on the Rap Genius
- Tyler gets pizzunked
- Bad Meets Evil Hell: The Sequel Lyrics
- My Kingdom For A Platinum Football Field
- ALL of Tyler, The Creator's "Bastard" Explicado
- I Think I'm Turning Japanese: Rap's Infatuation With Benihana
- Eatbox: rappers eat pussy sometimes, too
- Common: "A Letter To The Law" Video Breakdown
- Tyler the Creator - Goblin
- MCA Keeps Rocking in the Afterlife
- Joey Bada$$ & Kendrick Lamar: This Generation’s Biggie & Pac? : A UK Perspective
- The Five Nastiest, Most Explicit Sex Scenes in Rap History
- Wale: The Antithesis of J. Cole
- THE HISTORY OF HIP HOP (as told by Rap Genius)
- Track-by-Track Guide to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- Wax: From YouTube To Def Jam
- Big Sean's "Finally Famous"
- That Shit Cray: Top Ten Meme Lines of the Year Thus Far
- Eminem's Infinite Explained
- Curren$y's Weekend At Burnie's Syncs With The Film
- The Many Nicknames of Tyler, the Creator
- Notes on "Ready To Die"
- Tyler, The Creator vs. Woody Allen
- Al Qaeda / Taliban rap paper plate awards: a discussion of Jihadi references in rap lyrics
- Rappers and the Alphabet: A Romance on the D.L.
- Interview With Jay-Z's Financial Biographer: Rap Genius Editor SnoopZoggyZogg
- Top 25 Rap Albums of 2011
- Curren$y "Covert Coup": All The Lyrics Explained
- "These n*ggas be mad -- that's why they stay hating" : Thoughts on V-Nasty
- "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop
- Rage Against the Machine: Rap, Rock and Revolution
- Raponomics: Top Ten Foreign Currency References Of All Time
- Rap Genius Watch The Throne Cover
- Lil Wayne Carter 4 Cover
- ENTER THE WU: 36 Chambers
- Big Sean is Finally Famous...boiiiii
- Frank Ocean Nostalgia Ultra - all the lyrics explained
- An Intro to Break Beats
- 2011's Best Twitter Moments
- Rap Genius in the OED
- International Underground: Hip Hop as Global Rebel Music
- One Love. Elzhi's "Elmatic"
- Rap Genius LLP: A NEW Legal Service for the Rap Community
- Excerpt: They call me Jay Electronica
- Belief in Based God
- Gil Scott Heron - Father of Rap
- Bad Meets Sequel?
- Nas, Illmatic: All the lyrics to every song explained
- Dominic Strauss Khan & Ghostface
- On "Blue Slide Park": A Review of Moderate Proportions
- Rhyming Words with Themselves, sort of: Top Ten Homophone Rhymes of All Time
- "Tastes like Swag": Cooking with Lil B (Part1: Wonton Soup)
- M-m-m-maybach Music
- Interview: Vince Staples
- Lupe Fiasco's LASERS
- Wiz Khalifa: probably fucked your bitch
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Despot reveals a supergroup and gives his fans a SPECIAL MESSAGE!
- Tyler the Creator: Tron Cat
- Crooked I Decodes Crooked I
- XV Reasons Why XV's The Next Big Thing
- Hip-Hop's TECHNOlogic Revolution
- Nas interview PREVIEW
- Pass Through, Ghost-like: A Multi Before I Die Mixtape
- Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
- Cadence & Flow -- A Study in MMG
- Jay-Z: "Rap Is Poetry"
- Donald Glover Interview: "What the fuck is a Childish Gambino?"
- Kanye in Paris
- Subliminal Satanic Messages in Jay-Z
- Most commonly misheard rap lines
- Adrien Brody Reciting 10 Crack Commandments
- Religion in Hip Hop: A RapGenius Overview
- We Found Earl!
- The Classic Yo! MTV Raps Returns, One Night Only!
- Kanye & Pharrell at Design in Miami: Breaking Down Understanding and Rap Genius
- A Modest Proposal: Why those white-bread, hella suburban rappers matter
- An Open Letter Regarding OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All)
- Thank You Bouillabased God
- Jay-Z vs. RapGenius.com: Who's Better at Decoding Jay-Z's Lyrics?
- All of the Lights: Seizure-tastic
- Eminem, Recovery: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- Drake, Thank Me Later: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained
- Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song decoded
- Rappers: Suckered by Obama's Charm, Just Like the Rest of Us...
- Lil B "Charlie Sheen" music video breakdown
- "Yonkers" Video Breakdown
- "Well I Guess, This Is My Dissertation" - Notes on Graduation
- "Well I guess, this is my dissertation"- Graduation: Decoded
- Psychiatrist Advises Degenerate Geniuses to "Check Your Head"
- Pusha's "Fear of God" Mixtape: Don't Be Scurred
- Hip-hop Superbowl: Black and Yellow vs Green and Yellow
- RIP Biggie Smalls (the Rap Genius)
- ALL the lyrics to Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Explained
- "Empire State of Mind" video breakdown
- Fabolous SOUL Tape
- Dre - Is Detox coming?
- Fabolous "I'm Raw": A Close Reading
- Lupe Fiasco's "Words I Never Said" Music Video
- Virginia's Finest: Intalek Interview
- Hell: The Sequel
- RIP Macho Mane - Wrestler, Rapper, Baller
- Jay-Z on Biting Biggie's Rhymes
- Woman's work: transporting drugs for rappers
- Congressman Tweets Dickpic: Inspired by Kanye? Or Mannie Fresh? Who knows?
- Osama Got Popped..
- Lil Wayne Explains Lil Wayne
- "Don't Wanna Go Home" lyrics – Jason DeRulo
- Curren$y Interview With DDS
- I Love Hip-hop, But...Part I
- Interview with producer and OFWGKTA affiliate BrandenBeatBoy
- V-Nasty Saying The "N-Word"
- Cole Summer Saga Continues..
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Nicki Minaj's Titty
- Hip Hop & Islam: The Sacred Nexus
- Rap Genius on German MTV!
- Rap Genius of the Month: Don Trip
- DIY: Turning the RG shirt into an RG Lady-Tee
- StereoIQ Lines of the Week: July 30-August 7
- NEW MUSIC: "Hotel" by NRK (Nobody Really Knows)
- Watch The Throne (Snippets)
- Black Hippy Interview
- Cam'ron Threatens iTunes
- Lil Wayne and Birdman's Notorious K.I.S.S.
- Wiz Khalifa x Curren$y x Big Sean = STONER MIXTAPE OF THE CENTURY
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain spits a fire freestyle
- Rap Genius Editor Teaches Kreayshawn Makeup Techniques
- INSIDE GAME: The Making of Martians vs Goblins
- Rap Genius of the Month: Touré
- Kreayshawn's Ballinest Fan? Drake
- A$AP FERGENSTEIN: on the origins of "A$AP"
- "Watch The Throne" Preview
- Ambition 2: BEHIND THE SCENES
- J Cole on How Jay-Z REALLY Feels About "Cole World: A Sideline Story"
- Big Sean Arrested
- MJ Faded Way: Perfect
- Nardwuar Interviews Casey Veggies
- Game's track-by-track breakdown of the Red Album
- Jetlifer SinnersRemorse Reviews Curren$y's Priest Andretti
- Rap Genius Reviews Dreams and Nightmares
- Frank Ocean on "Watch The Throne".. Good Move? Bad Move?
- Consequence's "Pusha T Diss"
- Top 10 Whistleblowers
- "Uncle Otis" lyrics – The Game
- Oh Mercy Me: New Music & An Artist to Watch
- Tyler The Creator Bonds With Tim Westwood
- What's Wrong With John Galliano?
- Jay-Z 101 at Georgetown University
- Young Dr. Dre on TV!
- Drake care...
- Lil B's "I'm Gay"
- "I'm On One Freestyle" lyrics – Chamillionaire
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain says farewell
- "Trouble on My Mind" lyrics – Pusha T
- #Ambition (cover)
- Soulja Boy: The Movie (Trailer)
- Freddie Gibbs: Cold Day In Hell Cover
- BEEF: Fox News vs. Jon Stewart (& Common)
- J Cole Breaks Down His Album Title
- Watch The Based
- In the Zone: Jay-Z and Kanye West Live at Bank Atlantic Center
- EARL IS FREE!
- Birdman Forbes Interview
- MeLo-X = Sade + The Weeknd
- Young Jeezy's TM103: Hustlerz Ambition Review
- Odd Future in Germany
- "Oh My Remix" lyrics – DJ Drama
- "I'm On One" lyrics – Tyga
- The Bullitts X Jay Electronica MOOVIE
- Norwegian Mass Murderer Hates Hip-hop
- Lyrics to Tyga's Well Done 2 Mixtape
- Siri vs Biggie
- Drake Interview
- Lupe Fiasco (and Big Sean) - "Wait for Me"
- Bad Meets Evil on Fuse TV at Bonnaroo
- Hip Hop's Hero's Hubris?: RG Introduces Asaad
- MO Purp please! New music from Alex Wiley, Kembe X and Chance the Rapper
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Cyhi is an Otis Fan
- N***AWATCH 2011: V-Nasty Calls A Black Man "N***a" In A Fight
- Mac Miller "Blue Slide Park" Tracklist
- Q: what will be this year's MOST MEME Halloween costume?
- MMG loves lyrics just like RG
- Obama sings "Let's Stay Together"
- Interview - Indie Artist "b.a.sick"
- RUH ROH: Tyler the Creator Arrested (Again)
- "Her Room" by Teyana Taylor
- Lil Wayne: "Dear Anne" Lyrics Explicado..
- Eminem vs. Weezy: Who's the King of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative lyrics?
- Detox - July 26 Release Date?
- "Ronald Reagan Era" by Kendrick Lamar
- 2Pac on Intellectual Property
- NEW VIDEO: Lupe Fiasco's "Bitch Bad"
- RG RANCH SXSW RECAP (part 2)
- Wale Contest: Unlock the Meaning Behind The Gifted Lyrics and Win!
- "Loud Noises" by Bad Meets Evil
- "Tree" - Kid Cudi & Wiz Khalifa
- "Everywhere I Go" by 2Pac
- Introducing the Rap Genius Artist in Residence: The Black Cobain Experience
- "Marvins Room" by Drake
- 13 YEAR OLD KENDRICK LAMAR WISHES HE HAD RAP GENIUS
- TDE on Tour & Too funny
- Kendrick Lamar "Hiii Power" Music Video Breakdown
- "She Wanna Have My Baby" by The Game
- "Acura Integurl" by Frank Ocean
- Annals of the Rap Orientalist: Talk of Money in Rap
- Southern Boys Collide: Big KRIT & Yelawolf collaboration coming soon
- FREESTYLE BATTLE: Lupe Fiasco vs. Bill O'Reilly
- Rap Hoods - Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Big K.R.I.T. goes live from the underground and gets verified with RapGenius
- Lupe is a rap god but also human
- ras kass keeps it raw
- What is Wayne? The Artist Lives
- "Return Of Simba" by J. Cole
- New Freshness: Urbana Poppin' Champaign (UPC)
- Ab-Soul Drawing Contest on Rap Genius?!
- Monday Morning with the BRKF$T Club
- Rhyme Spotters: Twinkies
- RIP KING CAPITAL STEEZ
- "Dreams Money Can Buy" by Drake
- Artist in Residence: The Confessional, Day One
- Common talks LUV on Rap Genius - Live Ustream!
- first ever freestyled verified explanation (don't ask me how)
- Lupe Fiasco Exclusive world premiere: breaking down "bitch bad"
- Ras Kass Behind the Lines with Rap Genius
- Behind the Bars with RiFF RaFF, part 1
- Behind the Bars with Riff Raff, part 2 (prepare to be enlightened)
- Does Bruno Mars have a space in hip hop?
- Slaughterhouse tells RG what they really think about Black Hippy
- Odd Future Is The New Beatles
- Big K.R.I.T. booed at Highline Ballroom
- Lil Wayne Carter IV Release Date
- LUPE FIASCO EXCLUSIVE world premiere: Explore Lamborghini Angels
- LUPE IS HERE
- BIG BOI NOW VERIFIED ON RG!
- EXCLUSIVE Lyrics and More From Skyzoo's New *A Dream Deferred* -- UPDATED!!
- What Does Common Think About Rap Genius?
- Goblin L.A. Concert
- 2012 BET Cyphers Lyrics: Who spit fire?
- Tyler the Creator & Odd Future on Tim Westwood
- Tyler Arrested In L.A.
- Grand Theft Audio: The Music of San Andreas
- The Importance of Music Education
- Thurnis Haley: Really Into Golf
- big boi RG fan contest: are you big's rap genius?
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 1
- MEEK MILL EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE: Maybach curtains
- Ne-Yo is Now verified!
- Dreadlocks. Rasta?
- Lupe Fiasco's Long-Awaited Lasers...Cover Art
- Prodigy's Book: The Anti-Decoded
- Blog fam Interview: AFH - Kendrick Lamar "GRIT"
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 2
- Hipster Girl Raps "Look At Me Now"
- Lil B album to be called "I'm Gay"
- big boi exclusive: new outkast next?
- Verified Artist Lushlife is hosting an RG COmpetition
- 420 NEWS: Kid Cudi quits quitting weed
- Carter IV Preview: Lil Wayne rolling with a cougar
- Tat My Name On You So I Know It's Real
- Joey Bada$$ new single "Unorthodox"
- ALL of the "All of the Lights"
- "Words I Never Said": Lupe Fiasco's Anthem for the Egyptian Revolution?
- Wiz & Amber sitting in a tree.. T - A - T - T - O - O - I -N -G
- Poll: What are the best "fuck songs" / "love songs" in rap music?
- RANCH RECAP: RG at SXSW part 1
- Lil Wayne on Roman's Revenge 2.0: Only One Verse?
- Wale Attention Deficit: DECODED
- Rap Genius x BET: Video Breakdown of Stalley's "Fountain of Youth"
- The Game R.E.D. Album Preview
- Rap Genius Interview: Adam Bradley, editor of the Yale Anthology of Rap
- Introducing RapMetrics™: The Birth of Statistical Analysis of Rap Lyrics
- The Top Ten Verses of 2011
- "Can't Knock The Hustle": How Jay-Z Came Up on Ace of Spades
- The Fine Art of the Name Drop: From Pac to R.A.
- "I Got More at Stake Than Philly": Reasonable Doubt decoded
- News Genius Lines of the Week, 05/03/2013
- Woman sleeps with Nas, Jay-Z, and Allen Iverson; reveals penis secrets
- Kush and Corinthians: Religious Contradictions in Hip Hop
- Jay-Z, Eminem, and "Renegade": Who Killed Whom?
- The Honors English Rap Genius Challenge - CONTEST RULES
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/10/2013
- Lulu's son shine: What is Jay-Z talking about in "A Star is Born"?
- Skylar Grey x RG x Gigg "Final Warning" Verse Contest
- Rap Genius University: Rhyme Types
- RIP Big Pun
- Young and Beautiful: The Anomaly That is Lana Del Rey
- Roots, How I Got Over: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/17/2013
- "Get it?" Why do rappers explain their own lines in the Age of Rap Genius?
- Either Kanye and Ghostface both sleep head to toe with their respective cousins, or Kanye is biting
- The 5 degrees of decadence in "Fashion Rap"
- The 7 Stages of Yeezus: From "Through the Wire" to "I Am a God"
- Was Slug the O.G. Drake?
- Why Kanye Chose No Album Artwork
- Honors English Lyrics Challenge Coming Soon - Sneak Peak
- Artist in Residence: Making of "The Recipe" freestyle w/ Black Cobain
- TV Night at Cam's
Rap ♥’s unabashed extravagance: Bugattis, Armand de Brignac Champagne, Swiss Watches, Goyard bags, Rothschild wine, $1,000,000 Jewelry, etc. However, one prosaic theme has been commonplace throughout rap for almost two decades: Benihana.
Benihana was founded in 1964 by Hiroaki “Rocky” Aoki, father of electro house musician Steve Aoki (Shouts to Dim Mak Records). Rocky “worked seven days a week selling ice cream in New York City and studied restaurant management at night.”¹ He wanted to give American diners something different and believed seating them at communal tables, cooking the food in the Teppanyaki (hibachi) style with highly entertaining chefs would be the way to go.
There are certainly more expensive, more famous and more exclusive restaurants and eateries out there. Why is this everyday Japanese restaurant chain such a fixture in rap? Is it the fact they serve only the finest of crab meats? Is it their Express Lunch starting at $7? Is it their reverence for Sake etiquette? One thing we can say for certain, the onion volcano almost certainly plays a prominent role in this love affair. Hit the jump and let us explore why rap has such a lady boner for Beni Han Han.
Good For Punchlines
The earliest known reference to Benihana is as hotly a debated topic as “Who shot Tupac?” and “Why didn’t Soulja Boy win a Grammy for Zan With That Lean?” Though Lord Finesse technically first mentions Benihana in his 1995 song “No Gimmicks,” DJ Quik refers to Benihana in his 1998 song that is all about a time period in 1991. Mindfuckery, I know. However, with Benihana becoming ubiquitous due to franchising and chefs wielding knives, there is plenty for rappers to reference.
Lord Finesse — No Gimmicks ft. KRS-ONE (1995)
I cut that ass like the chef at Benihana’s
DJ Quik & AMG — Used To Know Her (1991/1998)
Now who gon do the honors
I hit the liquor next to Benihana’s
Gang Starr — Make Em Pay (1998)
Drop you for your spot with the blazer then I blast you
Slice precise like Benihana’s when I come to bring the dramas
Beastie Boys — Putting Shame In Your Game
I’m the Benihana chef on the SP12
I chop the fuck out the beats left on the shelf
Four highly respected, Golden Era of Hip Hop icons name drop the restaurant; what great marketing. It should be noted that up until this point no one has explicitly stated that they have eaten at Benihana. This trend would continue. Where as the first punchlines involving Benihana were about a cutting/chopping and doing bodily harm, later uses of its name would draw on the obvious steak/beef and cooking/manufacturing drug aspects. Who better than Mr. Cam'ron and Mr. Snowman to do the honors?
Cam'ron — Can’t Hurt My Style
Been into plenty drama, Flame it like Benihana
Young Jeezy — The Real Is Back
Same dramas on my momma I served em like Benihana’s
Young Jeezy — Thug Motivation 101
Kitchen’s fumed up, niggas jamming 2pac
Get my Benihana’s on, working 2 pots
Herbal T (the identical twin of YouTube Star/Def Jam artists Wax) drops one of the best multi-syllabic punchlines with:
Herbal T — Long Time Coming
Me and Wax on that raw Carpacchio
Fire Department beats stay kicking like Ralph Macchio
Hot Hibachi flow on some Benihana Chef Shit
Legendary crew not many want to mess with
Great for Nefarious Meetings
Much like in Beverly Hills Ninja, Benihana is a perfect place to meet with your gang to discuss illicit activities and nefarious plans of actions. It gets loud at peak times with the clashing of Chef utensils, fires (and the subsequent screams of frightened toddlers) and conversation so outsiders/snitches can’t eavesdrop but it’s also unlikely for there to be inconspicuous surveillance and bugs.
50 Cent — Ghetto Qu'ran (Please Forgive Me)
In a conversation over shrimp and lobster
At Benihana’s, heard Chico stopped boxing, and started robbing diners
Signifier of Wealth
Urban poets often flaunt the fact they eat regularly at Benihana. With prices ranging for dinner from $15 to $50… it doesn’t really make too much sense. But, time and time again, rappers juxtapose Benihana with claims of wealth.
Perhaps the most puzzling Benihana reference belongs to The Gooch. Anyone know what he is even saying? I think “monotoly backe” is code for “I skeet diamond dust,” but I may be wrong.
Skyzoo – The Necessary Evils
And you the next contestant
Your life could go from Mickie D’s to Benihana’s, Tameka to Rihanna
Dom Kennedy — Grindin
Eating, I ain’t talking vegan
We at Benihana like twice on every weekend
Chip Tha Ripper — Fat Raps
Cut the AC back up, gettin' kinda hot in here, Benihana leftover
But we smokin' I’m in here
Chip Tha Ripper goes so far as to say that in a perfect world where he has everything he would require superfluous amounts of Hibachi gourmet be accessible at all times.
Chip Tha Ripper — Mansion
Back to all the beautiful bitches attacking me
Sippin' them daquiri’s, couple of hoes fannin' me
And two bitches laid out butt naked up on the canopy
Back to them Lamborghinis and the Bugattis
And enough of that Benihana’s bet I can do karate
And, back to my mansion like you promised me
I'mma see my grandma, and she proud me
Im on the streets of gold, you can’t stop me
Please doctor, don’t shock me
Perfect for Dates
Benihana is also the perfect location to take a side chick, main squeeze, wifey, heaux, skip-skop skank, scallywag or respectable lady for several reasons:
- The prices are moderate (unless that bitch gets Surf & Turf).
- If it isn't going well you can strike up convo with the people at your table.
- Not too upscale to send the wrong message or just upscale enough to impress.
- Heauxs find Japanese food exotic.
- If you know how to use chopsticks, it's guaranteed you'll get them drawlz.
- If she isn't sure about sushi, assure her she'll like it then order crazy stuff, save on bill.
Devin The Dude — Broccoli and Cheese
We pulled up in front of the restaurant-a
Ah yea Benihana's
Chose a table by the window
So we can look at the stars and shit
He made our plate, We ate,
Got back in the car and dipped
Here, Theodore Pain not only takes his bitches to Benihana, but tells us that he has so much money it doesn’t even matter.
T-Pain — I’m Sprung 2
I told my homeboys I’ll holla
I got plans for a date, my girl want steaks
And she prefer Benihana's
We can go from Monday to Sunday, don’t even matter ‘bout the money
Kendrick Lamar — She Needs Me
Paparazzi spot ‘em out shopping, Tuesday morning brunch, Benihana’s
Hoodie Allen — Can’t Hold Me Down
Sittin' in my 97 Honda,
Yolanda, be cool, she just want to go to Benihana
Nipsey Hu$$le — Keys to the City
Eatin Benihana’s daily, drive my baby, momma crazy
Immortal Technique — Parole (Evil Genius Remix)
But now I’m free, hit the block, eatin Entenmann's
Benihana in and out, flow to eat to enter in
Chet Haze — West Side LA
It’s a bet, Blackjack
Me play it at Merango,Pechanga
Indian casinos, then Benihana
Lying Ass Rappers
It should be noted that not only did I scour the menu one item at a time, but I also called the two Benihana restaurants closest to me (Dulles & Bethesda, Virginia) and the one in Beverly Hills, CA to confirm that the restaurant in no way, shape or form has wontons. Big Sean is a lying rhyme opportunist who deserved to be served by The Lame.
Big Sean — My Last
Up in Benny Han Han eating all the Wonton
Moo Goo Gai Pan is an American-ized version of a Cantonese/Chinese dish. Mac Dre, you do know that although all Orientals look alike their cuisine is distinct? Oh, you didn’t? Wow. You are so racist. I also doubt the validity of your claim that you are capable of “speaking Japan.”
Mac Dre — Something You Should Know
I said the hell if we are I’d rather Benihana's
She said what’s that for I said for any drama
Now look little mama it’s a quarter to ten
Can’t be out all night I got to stop when the song ends
At the restaurant I am feelin like the man
Spoke Japan give me moo goo gai pan
Ate drank got too full and burped
So... Why Beni?
I can’t think of another restaurant with as many name drops and references. Nobu? No, boo. Sue’s Rendezvous? Uh uh. Delmonico’s? Nah. Mr. Chow’s? Nope. Morton’s Steakhouse? Not even close (though I did have a co-worker run into Young Jeezy there in Atlanta.) If you notice who name drops Benihana, and where they are in their career, you’ll notice a motif: Middle-Class Luxury.
None of these rappers are at a Kanye West, Eminem, Jay-Z level of wealth, which means that amongst their low-income level peers Benihana is like a 5-Star restaurant. Though not necessarily stunting, these rappers are letting us know that they now have enough money to pay $100 or more for a meal… everyday if they so choose. However, it goes way beyond that. For many of them, Benihana holds a place in their heart that equates to a simpler, more pleasant time in their life:
That time where their grind was starting to pay off, and, all of a sudden, they have the financial means to start buying/getting the things they want, where they can take care of the people in their circle. Imagine being able to take your man’s and them to Benihana, getting your own table and acting a fool. Or a nice evening void of paparazzi with no disturbances:
Childish Gambino — So Much Better
Most rappers want the drama, but I don’t want the drama
I just want a quiet night down at Benihana
Benihana is not highfalutin, though rappers treat it as such. In reality, the restaurant acts as the training wheels on a rapper’s boastful bars bicycle. It is many rappers' first interaction with “elegance.” Since a majority of artists stay in the middle of the pack instead of achieving “Janye” status, Benihana serves as their go-to recognizable name drop. Benihana has that faux luxury swag: Impressive to those of little means, while low-class to those with even a modicum of affluence.
What’s the verdict from you guys? Is Benihana worth the praise? Ever taken a breezy there? Is it your favorite Japanese Steakhouse? Ever tried to do an Onion Volcano at home? If you could only have one restaurant’s food for the rest of your life what would it be? Leave many comments below.