Our best posts
- Why No One Has Killed Your Favorite Rapper
- Trap Geniuses: Why Selling Rap is like Selling Crack
- The Rapper's Flow Encyclopedia
- The Beastie Chronicles — I
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations
- Verse to Verse: Arcade Fire (via StereoIQ)
- Top 10 Television Theme Songs
- Verse to Verse: Jay-z
- Verse to Verse: Kanye West
- Rap Genius Presents: The Top 100 Rap Songs of 2012
- Scarface: The Holy Bible of Rap Music
- Great Expectations: The RapGenius Guide to Rap Albums in 2013
- NEW VIDEO from the latest verified rapper on Rap Genius: 50 Cent
- NAS INTERVIEW: why Nas wants to explain his own lyrics on Rap Genius
- Showing Our Poetry Love
- Rappers Crying
- Life is Good's Future Impact
- GODFATHERS OF RAP GENIUS: Ben Horowitz Interviews Steve Stoute
- Rap Genius Explanation Competition
- The Top 5 People Rappers Reference
- RapGenius Ranks the First Half of 2012
- Hannibal Buress: First Comedian Verified on Rap Genius
- Bricks to Billboard, Grams to Grammys: Rap Genius' Top 25 Jay-Z Verses
- Who's this new Bada$$ kid???: A UK Perspective
- RGU Lesson Two: Me and the Devil Blues
- A$AP ROCKY INTERVIEW: Maboo v. Nardwuar
- What Does Trust Mean in the Rap Game?
- RGU Lesson One: The Signifyin' Monkey
- Bragging in Hip Hop
- Professor Rapper: 7 Uncommon Black History Facts as Told by Kendrick Lamar
- Rap Genius goes Inside the Lines with Mac Miller
- Rap Genius Interviews B.o.B.
- Interview With B Horowitz: RG Verified Blogger
- Drake Says He's The First Person To Successfully Rap And Sing. Here's why he's wrong.
- An Open Letter from Donald Glover
- Rap Genius Nas interview PREVIEW
- Rap vs. Ronald Reagan
- Are the fans getting more ignorant?
- Operation Free Earl
- Rap Genius of the Month: Big Ghostfase
- The Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011
- Why There Will Never be a 'GOAT' in Hip-Hop: An Extensive Analysis
- 30 Rock: On Gunplay and 2Chainz
- SUBJECT: Jones, Russel Tyrone
- What to Expect from Rap Albums in 2012: The RapGenius Guide to Listening Safely in a Hype-Cycled Universe
- Top 100 Rap Songs of 2011
- The Direction of Hip-Hop
- Machine Gun Kelly Inside the Lines
- R.A THE RUGGED MAN AND EMINEM: BEEF, OR NO BEEF?
- Stereo IQ's Top Albums of 2012
- The Recent History Of Mixtape Trolling
- Is Pete Rock's Disappointment Justified?
- Rappers' Obsession with Jewish Culture
- My Philosophy on Socrates References in Rap
- The Navy Seal Who Killed Osama bin Laden loves That "Red Nation" Track MTV Banned
- Dear Shyne, Ask Yourself: 'What Is A Classic Album?' Ya Bish!
- Five Tips For Unsigned Rappers
- Is The Rap Game Pretentious?
- You Can't Rap, But You Can Make A Song
- WTF is a Basquiat?
- Retrospect for Lu: One Year Later...
- "Triple Beam Dreams": A Reinvigoration of Tradition
- "Six Minutes, Slim Shady, You're On"
- Rap Genius Political Appointees 2012
- Top 10 Lines From Drake's "Take Care"
- Rap Geniuses of the Month: Kembe X / Alex Wiley
- Freak Wit It - The Five Greatest Censored Versions of Hip Hop Songs
- Inside the Rappers Studio: A Witty Nicki Minaj?
- Black Star: Let's ALL Get Down!
- Don’t Become a Rapper If: A Checklist
- Can’t Wait To Be King: If J. Cole Really Were Simba
- All in the Name of P***Y: 7 Women Who Made Fresh Beef Into Poison Meat
- The Many Nicknames of Lil Wayne
- Fuck You; Pay Me (By Not Buying My Music)
- Lupe Fiasco: The Proust of Rap
- Is it right to hate fame?
- Rappers: they're just like us!
- Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor: All the Lyrics Explained
- Which Throne are You Watching?
- 10 Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas For The Hip Hop/Music Lover
- Kill Whitey: Top 10 Corporate Greed Rap Lyrics
- Introducing the Rap Map™ - your guide through the gangsta terrain of the planet
- Hella Based: The Many Faces of Lil B
- The Five Nastiest, Most Explicit Sex Scenes in Rap History
- Big Sean's "Finally Famous"
- I Think I'm Turning Japanese: Rap's Infatuation With Benihana
- That Shit Cray: Top Ten Meme Lines of the Year Thus Far
- Liquid Swords: Rap Genius on the Rap Genius
- Common: "A Letter To The Law" Video Breakdown
- Track-by-Track Guide to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- THE HISTORY OF HIP HOP (as told by Rap Genius)
- Eatbox: rappers eat pussy sometimes, too
- Bad Meets Evil Hell: The Sequel Lyrics
- ALL of Tyler, The Creator's "Bastard" Explicado
- Joey Bada$$ & Kendrick Lamar: This Generation’s Biggie & Pac? : A UK Perspective
- Eminem's Infinite Explained
- MCA Keeps Rocking in the Afterlife
- Tyler the Creator - Goblin
- Tyler gets pizzunked
- Wax: From YouTube To Def Jam
- My Kingdom For A Platinum Football Field
- Wale: The Antithesis of J. Cole
- Belief in Based God
- Notes on "Ready To Die"
- "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop
- Rappers and the Alphabet: A Romance on the D.L.
- Lil Wayne Carter 4 Cover
- The Many Nicknames of Tyler, the Creator
- Tyler, The Creator vs. Woody Allen
- Curren$y "Covert Coup": All The Lyrics Explained
- "These n*ggas be mad -- that's why they stay hating" : Thoughts on V-Nasty
- Rage Against the Machine: Rap, Rock and Revolution
- Curren$y's Weekend At Burnie's Syncs With The Film
- ENTER THE WU: 36 Chambers
- Big Sean is Finally Famous...boiiiii
- Rap Genius LLP: A NEW Legal Service for the Rap Community
- One Love. Elzhi's "Elmatic"
- Rap Genius Watch The Throne Cover
- Raponomics: Top Ten Foreign Currency References Of All Time
- Interview With Jay-Z's Financial Biographer: Rap Genius Editor SnoopZoggyZogg
- Top 25 Rap Albums of 2011
- An Intro to Break Beats
- Excerpt: They call me Jay Electronica
- Al Qaeda / Taliban rap paper plate awards: a discussion of Jihadi references in rap lyrics
- International Underground: Hip Hop as Global Rebel Music
- Rap Genius in the OED
- 2011's Best Twitter Moments
- Frank Ocean Nostalgia Ultra - all the lyrics explained
- We Found Earl!
- Interview: Vince Staples
- Kanye & Pharrell at Design in Miami: Breaking Down Understanding and Rap Genius
- Subliminal Satanic Messages in Jay-Z
- An Open Letter Regarding OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All)
- Crooked I Decodes Crooked I
- Kanye in Paris
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Despot reveals a supergroup and gives his fans a SPECIAL MESSAGE!
- Pass Through, Ghost-like: A Multi Before I Die Mixtape
- A Modest Proposal: Why those white-bread, hella suburban rappers matter
- XV Reasons Why XV's The Next Big Thing
- Most commonly misheard rap lines
- Tyler the Creator: Tron Cat
- Religion in Hip Hop: A RapGenius Overview
- Hip-Hop's TECHNOlogic Revolution
- Wiz Khalifa: probably fucked your bitch
- Nas interview PREVIEW
- Dominic Strauss Khan & Ghostface
- Nas, Illmatic: All the lyrics to every song explained
- Jay-Z: "Rap Is Poetry"
- Cadence & Flow -- A Study in MMG
- Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
- The Classic Yo! MTV Raps Returns, One Night Only!
- Rhyming Words with Themselves, sort of: Top Ten Homophone Rhymes of All Time
- "Tastes like Swag": Cooking with Lil B (Part1: Wonton Soup)
- Adrien Brody Reciting 10 Crack Commandments
- M-m-m-maybach Music
- Lupe Fiasco's LASERS
- Donald Glover Interview: "What the fuck is a Childish Gambino?"
- Bad Meets Sequel?
- Gil Scott Heron - Father of Rap
- On "Blue Slide Park": A Review of Moderate Proportions
- "Well I Guess, This Is My Dissertation" - Notes on Graduation
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Nicki Minaj's Titty
- Jay-Z vs. RapGenius.com: Who's Better at Decoding Jay-Z's Lyrics?
- Hip Hop & Islam: The Sacred Nexus
- Lil Wayne Explains Lil Wayne
- Congressman Tweets Dickpic: Inspired by Kanye? Or Mannie Fresh? Who knows?
- Cole Summer Saga Continues..
- "Yonkers" Video Breakdown
- Lil B "Charlie Sheen" music video breakdown
- Paid tha Caust to be tha Boss: Rappers discussing the Nazis
- Woman's work: transporting drugs for rappers
- Lupe Fiasco's "Words I Never Said" Music Video
- Rap Genius on German MTV!
- Jay-Z on Biting Biggie's Rhymes
- Rappers: Suckered by Obama's Charm, Just Like the Rest of Us...
- RIP Macho Mane - Wrestler, Rapper, Baller
- Curren$y Interview With DDS
- Virginia's Finest: Intalek Interview
- "Empire State of Mind" video breakdown
- Hell: The Sequel
- "Don't Wanna Go Home" lyrics – Jason DeRulo
- Fabolous "I'm Raw": A Close Reading
- I Love Hip-hop, But...Part I
- Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song decoded
- Interview with producer and OFWGKTA affiliate BrandenBeatBoy
- Drake, Thank Me Later: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained
- Dre - Is Detox coming?
- ALL the lyrics to Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Explained
- Fabolous SOUL Tape
- RIP Biggie Smalls (the Rap Genius)
- Rap Genius of the Month: Don Trip
- DIY: Turning the RG shirt into an RG Lady-Tee
- Osama Got Popped..
- Thank You Bouillabased God
- Hip-hop Superbowl: Black and Yellow vs Green and Yellow
- Pusha's "Fear of God" Mixtape: Don't Be Scurred
- V-Nasty Saying The "N-Word"
- StereoIQ Lines of the Week: July 30-August 7
- Eminem, Recovery: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- Psychiatrist Advises Degenerate Geniuses to "Check Your Head"
- All of the Lights: Seizure-tastic
- "Well I guess, this is my dissertation"- Graduation: Decoded
- Hipster Girl Raps "Look At Me Now"
- Lil Wayne and Birdman's Notorious K.I.S.S.
- Jay-Z 101 at Georgetown University
- Young Dr. Dre on TV!
- Drake care...
- Lil B's "I'm Gay"
- Lil B album to be called "I'm Gay"
- 420 NEWS: Kid Cudi quits quitting weed
- #Ambition (cover)
- Freddie Gibbs: Cold Day In Hell Cover
- BEEF: Fox News vs. Jon Stewart (& Common)
- Young Jeezy's TM103: Hustlerz Ambition Review
- Young and Beautiful: The Anomaly That is Lana Del Rey
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/17/2013
- Carter IV Preview: Lil Wayne rolling with a cougar
- Tat My Name On You So I Know It's Real
- Siri vs Biggie
- ALL of the "All of the Lights"
- "Words I Never Said": Lupe Fiasco's Anthem for the Egyptian Revolution?
- Bad Meets Evil on Fuse TV at Bonnaroo
- Eminem vs. Weezy: Who's the King of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative lyrics?
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Cyhi is an Otis Fan
- N***AWATCH 2011: V-Nasty Calls A Black Man "N***a" In A Fight
- Mac Miller "Blue Slide Park" Tracklist
- Q: what will be this year's MOST MEME Halloween costume?
- MMG loves lyrics just like RG
- Wiz & Amber sitting in a tree.. T - A - T - T - O - O - I -N -G
- RUH ROH: Tyler the Creator Arrested (Again)
- Poll: What are the best "fuck songs" / "love songs" in rap music?
- NEW VIDEO: Lupe Fiasco's "Bitch Bad"
- RG RANCH SXSW RECAP (part 2)
- Introducing the Rap Genius Artist in Residence: The Black Cobain Experience
- Lil Wayne on Roman's Revenge 2.0: Only One Verse?
- 13 YEAR OLD KENDRICK LAMAR WISHES HE HAD RAP GENIUS
- TDE on Tour & Too funny
- Wale Attention Deficit: DECODED
- Southern Boys Collide: Big KRIT & Yelawolf collaboration coming soon
- The Game R.E.D. Album Preview
- Rap Hoods - Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Big K.R.I.T. goes live from the underground and gets verified with RapGenius
- Lupe is a rap god but also human
- ras kass keeps it raw
- What is Wayne? The Artist Lives
- Rap Genius Interview: Adam Bradley, editor of the Yale Anthology of Rap
- New Freshness: Urbana Poppin' Champaign (UPC)
- Ab-Soul Drawing Contest on Rap Genius?!
- Monday Morning with the BRKF$T Club
- Rhyme Spotters: Twinkies
- RIP KING CAPITAL STEEZ
- Artist in Residence: The Confessional, Day One
- Common talks LUV on Rap Genius - Live Ustream!
- first ever freestyled verified explanation (don't ask me how)
- Lupe Fiasco Exclusive world premiere: breaking down "bitch bad"
- Ras Kass Behind the Lines with Rap Genius
- Behind the Bars with RiFF RaFF, part 1
- Behind the Bars with Riff Raff, part 2 (prepare to be enlightened)
- Does Bruno Mars have a space in hip hop?
- Slaughterhouse tells RG what they really think about Black Hippy
- Introducing RapMetrics™: The Birth of Statistical Analysis of Rap Lyrics
- LUPE FIASCO EXCLUSIVE world premiere: Explore Lamborghini Angels
- LUPE IS HERE
- BIG BOI NOW VERIFIED ON RG!
- EXCLUSIVE Lyrics and More From Skyzoo's New *A Dream Deferred* -- UPDATED!!
- What Does Common Think About Rap Genius?
- 2012 BET Cyphers Lyrics: Who spit fire?
- Grand Theft Audio: The Music of San Andreas
- The Importance of Music Education
- The Top Ten Verses of 2011
- big boi RG fan contest: are you big's rap genius?
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 1
- MEEK MILL EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE: Maybach curtains
- Ne-Yo is Now verified!
- Dreadlocks. Rasta?
- Blog fam Interview: AFH - Kendrick Lamar "GRIT"
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 2
- big boi exclusive: new outkast next?
- Verified Artist Lushlife is hosting an RG COmpetition
- "Can't Knock The Hustle": How Jay-Z Came Up on Ace of Spades
- "I Got More at Stake Than Philly": Reasonable Doubt decoded
- Joey Bada$$ new single "Unorthodox"
- Woman sleeps with Nas, Jay-Z, and Allen Iverson; reveals penis secrets
- RANCH RECAP: RG at SXSW part 1
- Jay-Z, Eminem, and "Renegade": Who Killed Whom?
- Rap Genius x BET: Video Breakdown of Stalley's "Fountain of Youth"
- Lulu's son shine: What is Jay-Z talking about in "A Star is Born"?
- Rap Genius University: Rhyme Types
- "Tree" - Kid Cudi & Wiz Khalifa
- "Loud Noises" by Bad Meets Evil
- 2Pac on Intellectual Property
- "Everywhere I Go" by 2Pac
- Kendrick Lamar "Hiii Power" Music Video Breakdown
- "She Wanna Have My Baby" by The Game
- "Get it?" Why do rappers explain their own lines in the Age of Rap Genius?
- Interview - Indie Artist "b.a.sick"
- The Fine Art of the Name Drop: From Pac to R.A.
- Obama sings "Let's Stay Together"
- MO Purp please! New music from Alex Wiley, Kembe X and Chance the Rapper
- Either Kanye and Ghostface both sleep head to toe with their respective cousins, or Kanye is biting
- Hip Hop's Hero's Hubris?: RG Introduces Asaad
- Lupe Fiasco (and Big Sean) - "Wait for Me"
- Drake Interview
- "Acura Integurl" by Frank Ocean
- Lyrics to Tyga's Well Done 2 Mixtape
- Norwegian Mass Murderer Hates Hip-hop
- The Bullitts X Jay Electronica MOOVIE
- "I'm On One" lyrics – Tyga
- "Oh My Remix" lyrics – DJ Drama
- Annals of the Rap Orientalist: Talk of Money in Rap
- FREESTYLE BATTLE: Lupe Fiasco vs. Bill O'Reilly
- Odd Future in Germany
- MeLo-X = Sade + The Weeknd
- "Return Of Simba" by J. Cole
- J Cole Breaks Down His Album Title
- "Dreams Money Can Buy" by Drake
- Odd Future Is The New Beatles
- News Genius Lines of the Week, 05/03/2013
- Big K.R.I.T. booed at Highline Ballroom
- Soulja Boy: The Movie (Trailer)
- "Trouble on My Mind" lyrics – Pusha T
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain says farewell
- "I'm On One Freestyle" lyrics – Chamillionaire
- What's Wrong With John Galliano?
- Tyler The Creator Bonds With Tim Westwood
- Oh Mercy Me: New Music & An Artist to Watch
- "Uncle Otis" lyrics – The Game
- Consequence's "Pusha T Diss"
- Frank Ocean on "Watch The Throne".. Good Move? Bad Move?
- Rap Genius Reviews Dreams and Nightmares
- Jetlifer SinnersRemorse Reviews Curren$y's Priest Andretti
- Nardwuar Interviews Casey Veggies
- Kush and Corinthians: Religious Contradictions in Hip Hop
- Lil Wayne Carter IV Release Date
- MJ Faded Way: Perfect
- The 5 degrees of decadence in "Fashion Rap"
- Big Sean Arrested
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain spits a fire freestyle
- Wiz Khalifa x Curren$y x Big Sean = STONER MIXTAPE OF THE CENTURY
- Cam'ron Threatens iTunes
- Goblin L.A. Concert
- Tyler the Creator & Odd Future on Tim Westwood
- Black Hippy Interview
- Watch The Throne (Snippets)
- Birdman Forbes Interview
- Tyler Arrested In L.A.
- Thurnis Haley: Really Into Golf
- NEW MUSIC: "Hotel" by NRK (Nobody Really Knows)
- Watch The Based
- Lupe Fiasco's Long-Awaited Lasers...Cover Art
- The Honors English Rap Genius Challenge - CONTEST RULES
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/10/2013
- In the Zone: Jay-Z and Kanye West Live at Bank Atlantic Center
- EARL IS FREE!
- Rap Genius Editor Teaches Kreayshawn Makeup Techniques
- INSIDE GAME: The Making of Martians vs Goblins
- Rap Genius of the Month: Touré
- Kreayshawn's Ballinest Fan? Drake
- A$AP FERGENSTEIN: on the origins of "A$AP"
- "Watch The Throne" Preview
- Ambition 2: BEHIND THE SCENES
- J Cole on How Jay-Z REALLY Feels About "Cole World: A Sideline Story"
- Game's track-by-track breakdown of the Red Album
- Was Slug the O.G. Drake?
- Skylar Grey x RG x Gigg "Final Warning" Verse Contest
- Prodigy's Book: The Anti-Decoded
- Lil Wayne: "Dear Anne" Lyrics Explicado..
- "Her Room" by Teyana Taylor
- Roots, How I Got Over: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- "Marvins Room" by Drake
- "Ronald Reagan Era" by Kendrick Lamar
- RIP Big Pun
- Detox - July 26 Release Date?
- Honors English Lyrics Challenge Coming Soon - Sneak Peak
- TV Night at Cam's
- Artist in Residence: Making of "The Recipe" freestyle w/ Black Cobain
Most rappers' television and movie references are, sadly, fairly limited. Outside of Scarface, New Jack City, The Wire, and a few other standbys, they just don’t seem to have a wide variety of watching habits.
That is, except for Dipset. The Harlemites' TV and movie references are so stunningly varied (and weird) that we often wonder how they come up with them. Here’s how we imagine a typical TV night at Cam’s:
Location: Dipset headquarters, 140th and Lenox Ave
Time: 6 P.M.
Occasion: Dipset TV night
Cam'ron: Thanks for coming. Ay yo, no homo
Juelz Santana: I want to watch some Cops on TV, before I cop a watch and TV. Ay!
40 Cal: No way! 40 ONLY watches Family Matters. That Carl Winslow is so funny!2
Jim Jones: (entering from outside) BALLIN'!
Juelz: You’re always screaming that, ass. Watch out, before I scream on that ass. Ay! Skullgang!
Jim Jones: BALLIN'!
Cam'ron: Shut up or I’ll put you BACK in 5H!
Hell Rell: (entering) Cam, you’re not gonna make us watch that clip of you on 60 Minutes5 again, are you?
J.R.: I ain’t watching no old-ass sitcoms. What about cartoons, like He-Man?6 (yelling) BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!
Cam'ron: No homo.
J.R.: (continuing) I…HAVE…THE…POWER!!!!
Cam'ron: We ain’t watching that bullshit. We gonna watch The Smurfs.7 That blue skin is hot, yo. I’m gonna cop that.
Hell Rell: How do you cop skin?
Cam'ron: I don’t know, but check it — first I had the blue Lam, then I had the blue mink. Blue skin is that new shit that computers ain’t even ‘puting8 yet!
Duke Da God: (entering) What’s going on? Y'all fighting again over what to watch? You know how this ends every week. Just get the DVD out and save us all some time.
J.R. Writer: Yeah, yeah, get it out! (Singing) You’ll be a den-tist! People will pay you to be in-hu-mane…
Hell Rell: Yeah, yeah. That movie’s the best! (Singing) Show me your face, clean as the morn-ing!
Cam'ron: Okay, okay. We’ll watch Little Shop of Horrors9 again. That Audrey is dope. I’m gonna cop me one!
All (singing): FEED ME, SEYMOUR! FEED ME ALL NIGHT LONG!!
Cam'ron: No homo.
Jim Jones: BALLIN'!
It’s bananas, you just for the cameras
Thinking you could touch this, you MC’s are hammered
— J.R. Writer, “There Ain’t No Hotter” ↩
And your moms been know
That I chop rocks that’ll make your father cop like Carl Winslow
— 40 Cal, “Best Out” ↩
I wish my homie could watch me
Live happy days like Joanie and Chachi
— Cam'ron, “Leave Me Alone, Pt. 2” ↩
We like Thelma and J.J., Brandy and Ray J
— Cam'ron, “Me And My Boo” ↩
- Cam'ron was famously interviewed in 2007 for a segment about snitching (he’s against it, by the way) ↩
- Writer has a song called “He-Man” that samples the 80’s cartoon theme. No, really ↩
You eat Louis, shit Gucci, breathe Chanel
Karl Lagerfeld, acting like Gargamel
— Cam'ron, “Soap Opera” ↩
I get the boosters boosting, I get computers ‘puting
— Cam'ron, “Get ‘Em Girls” ↩
I wouldn’t say I’m Nino at the Carter
I’m more like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors
But I don’t say, “Feed me, Seymour”
I say, “Feed me, Dame; feed me, Lyor”
— Cam'ron, “Leave Me Alone, Pt. 2” ↩