Our best posts
- IllumiNOT-Me: 10 Ways Rappers Deny Being in the Illuminati
- Kanye West Is Not a Jackass
- From Art Basel to Art Yeezy: Kanye's "New Slaves" Projections as Contemporary Art
- Top 50 Songs of 2013 // January - June
- Slap Genius: Hip Hop's Best Slaps
- When Hip Hop Goes to Court: Rap Lawsuits and Music Law
- She’s Just Being Miley... and Every Other Pop Star in American Music History Ever
- Trap Geniuses: Why Selling Rap is like Selling Crack
- Why No One Has Killed Your Favorite Rapper
- The Rapper's Flow Encyclopedia
- The Beastie Chronicles — I
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations
- Verse to Verse: Arcade Fire
- Top 10 Television Theme Songs
- Verse to Verse: Kanye West
- Verse to Verse: Jay-Z
- Rap Genius Presents: The Top 100 Rap Songs of 2012
- Scarface: The Holy Bible of Rap Music
- Great Expectations: The RapGenius Guide to Rap Albums in 2013
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations of 2013
- The Personification of Hip-Hop
- NEW VIDEO from the latest verified rapper on Rap Genius: 50 Cent
- NAS INTERVIEW: why Nas wants to explain his own lyrics on Rap Genius
- Showing Our Poetry Love
- Rappers Crying
- POETRY GENIUS: How To Read And Why
- Life is Good's Future Impact
- GODFATHERS OF RAP GENIUS: Ben Horowitz Interviews Steve Stoute
- Rap Genius Explanation Competition
- The Top 5 People Rappers Reference
- RapGenius Ranks the First Half of 2012
- Hannibal Buress: First Comedian Verified on Rap Genius
- Bricks to Billboard, Grams to Grammys: Rap Genius' Top 25 Jay-Z Verses
- RGU Lesson Two: Me and the Devil Blues
- What Does Trust Mean in the Rap Game?
- RGU Lesson One: The Signifyin' Monkey
- A$AP ROCKY INTERVIEW: Maboo v. Nardwuar
- Who's this new Bada$$ kid???: A UK Perspective
- Professor Rapper: 7 Uncommon Black History Facts as Told by Kendrick Lamar
- Bragging in Hip Hop
- Inside the Lines with RZA: Part 1
- Rap Genius goes Inside the Lines with Mac Miller
- Interview With B Horowitz: RG Verified Blogger
- Are the fans getting more ignorant?
- Rap Genius Interviews B.o.B.
- An Open Letter from Donald Glover
- Rap Genius Nas interview PREVIEW
- Drake Says He's The First Person To Successfully Rap And Sing. Here's why he's wrong.
- Operation Free Earl
- Rap vs. Ronald Reagan
- Rap Genius of the Month: Big Ghostfase
- 30 Rock: On Gunplay and 2Chainz
- What to Expect from Rap Albums in 2012: The RapGenius Guide to Listening Safely in a Hype-Cycled Universe
- Why There Will Never be a 'GOAT' in Hip-Hop: An Extensive Analysis
- SUBJECT: Jones, Russel Tyrone
- The Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011
- Top 100 Rap Songs of 2011
- The Direction of Hip-Hop
- The Recent History Of Mixtape Trolling
- Rappers' Obsession with Jewish Culture
- Dear Shyne, Ask Yourself: 'What Is A Classic Album?' Ya Bish!
- Five Tips For Unsigned Rappers
- The Navy Seal Who Killed Osama bin Laden loves That "Red Nation" Track MTV Banned
- Is Pete Rock's Disappointment Justified?
- Stereo IQ's Top Albums of 2012
- R.A THE RUGGED MAN AND EMINEM: BEEF, OR NO BEEF?
- Is The Rap Game Pretentious?
- My Philosophy on Socrates References in Rap
- Machine Gun Kelly Inside the Lines
- WTF is a Basquiat?
- You Can't Rap, But You Can Make A Song
- "Six Minutes, Slim Shady, You're On"
- Retrospect for Lu: One Year Later...
- Rap Genius Political Appointees 2012
- "Triple Beam Dreams": A Reinvigoration of Tradition
- Top 10 Lines From Drake's "Take Care"
- Rap Geniuses of the Month: Kembe X / Alex Wiley
- Freak Wit It - The Five Greatest Censored Versions of Hip Hop Songs
- Black Star: Let's ALL Get Down!
- Inside the Rappers Studio: A Witty Nicki Minaj?
- Can’t Wait To Be King: If J. Cole Really Were Simba
- Don’t Become a Rapper If: A Checklist
- All in the Name of P***Y: 7 Women Who Made Fresh Beef Into Poison Meat
- Fuck You; Pay Me (By Not Buying My Music)
- The Many Nicknames of Lil Wayne
- Introducing the Rap Map™ - your guide through the gangsta terrain of the planet
- Hella Based: The Many Faces of Lil B
- Is it right to hate fame?
- Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor: All the Lyrics Explained
- Rappers: They're Just Like Us!
- 10 Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas For The Hip Hop/Music Lover
- Lupe Fiasco: The Proust of Rap
- Which Throne are You Watching?
- Kill Whitey: Top 10 Corporate Greed Rap Lyrics
- Common: "A Letter To The Law" Video Breakdown
- Liquid Swords: Rap Genius on the Rap Genius
- Joey Bada$$ & Kendrick Lamar: This Generation’s Biggie & Pac? : A UK Perspective
- The Five Nastiest, Most Explicit Sex Scenes in Rap History
- My Kingdom For A Platinum Football Field
- Selena Gomez does Birthdays, Biebers, and Beats in her new album Stars Dance
- Tyler the Creator - Goblin
- Wax: From YouTube To Def Jam
- Eminem's Infinite Explained
- Bad Meets Evil Hell: The Sequel Lyrics
- Tyler gets pizzunked
- Kirk Knight Shines on Summer Knights: A UK Perspective
- Track-by-Track Guide to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- ALL of Tyler, The Creator's "Bastard" Explicado
- Eatbox: rappers eat pussy sometimes, too
- Wale: The Antithesis of J. Cole
- MCA Keeps Rocking in the Afterlife
- THE HISTORY OF HIP HOP (as told by Rap Genius)
- Big Sean's "Finally Famous"
- That Shit Cray: Top Ten Meme Lines of the Year Thus Far
- I Think I'm Turning Japanese: Rap's Infatuation With Benihana
- ENTER THE WU: 36 Chambers
- Raponomics: Top Ten Foreign Currency References Of All Time
- Curren$y's Weekend At Burnie's Syncs With The Film
- Rage Against the Machine: Rap, Rock and Revolution
- Rappers and the Alphabet: A Romance on the D.L.
- International Underground: Hip Hop as Global Rebel Music
- Rap Genius LLP: A NEW Legal Service for the Rap Community
- Tyler, The Creator vs. Woody Allen
- "These n*ggas be mad -- that's why they stay hating" : Thoughts on V-Nasty
- Frank Ocean Nostalgia Ultra - all the lyrics explained
- Interview With Jay-Z's Financial Biographer: Rap Genius Editor SnoopZoggyZogg
- Rap Genius Watch The Throne Cover
- Excerpt: They call me Jay Electronica
- One Love. Elzhi's "Elmatic"
- Notes on "Ready To Die"
- Al Qaeda / Taliban rap paper plate awards: a discussion of Jihadi references in rap lyrics
- The Many Nicknames of Tyler, the Creator
- Top 25 Rap Albums of 2011
- 2011's Best Twitter Moments
- Rap Genius in the OED
- Curren$y "Covert Coup": All The Lyrics Explained
- Belief in Based God
- Lil Wayne Carter 4 Cover
- An Intro to Break Beats
- "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop
- Big Sean is Finally Famous...boiiiii
- Gil Scott Heron - Father of Rap
- Hip-Hop's TECHNOlogic Revolution
- Pass Through, Ghost-like: A Multi Before I Die Mixtape
- Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
- Nas interview PREVIEW
- Dominic Strauss Khan & Ghostface
- Adrien Brody Reciting 10 Crack Commandments
- M-m-m-maybach Music
- Crooked I Decodes Crooked I
- Lupe Fiasco's LASERS
- Jay-Z: "Rap Is Poetry"
- XV Reasons Why XV's The Next Big Thing
- A Modest Proposal: Why those white-bread, hella suburban rappers matter
- "Tastes like Swag": Cooking with Lil B (Part1: Wonton Soup)
- We Found Earl!
- Nas, Illmatic: All the lyrics to every song explained
- Wiz Khalifa: probably fucked your bitch
- An Open Letter Regarding OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All)
- Kanye & Pharrell at Design in Miami: Breaking Down Understanding and Rap Genius
- Most commonly misheard rap lines
- Kanye in Paris
- Tyler the Creator: Tron Cat
- Religion in Hip Hop: A RapGenius Overview
- Bad Meets Sequel?
- Rhyming Words with Themselves, sort of: Top Ten Homophone Rhymes of All Time
- Interview: Vince Staples
- Donald Glover Interview: "What the fuck is a Childish Gambino?"
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Despot reveals a supergroup and gives his fans a SPECIAL MESSAGE!
- Subliminal Satanic Messages in Jay-Z
- On "Blue Slide Park": A Review of Moderate Proportions
- The Classic Yo! MTV Raps Returns, One Night Only!
- Cadence & Flow -- A Study in MMG
- Curren$y Interview With DDS
- Jay-Z vs. RapGenius.com: Who's Better at Decoding Jay-Z's Lyrics?
- Lupe Fiasco's "Words I Never Said" Music Video
- Virginia's Finest: Intalek Interview
- "Well I Guess, This Is My Dissertation" - Notes on Graduation
- "Well I guess, this is my dissertation"- Graduation: Decoded
- Fabolous "I'm Raw": A Close Reading
- Dre - Is Detox coming?
- Lil B "Charlie Sheen" music video breakdown
- Fabolous SOUL Tape
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Nicki Minaj's Titty
- Hip Hop & Islam: The Sacred Nexus
- Hell: The Sequel
- Rap Genius on German MTV!
- RIP Macho Mane - Wrestler, Rapper, Baller
- "Don't Wanna Go Home" lyrics – Jason DeRulo
- Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song decoded
- Drake, Thank Me Later: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained
- "Empire State of Mind" video breakdown
- "Yonkers" Video Breakdown
- Lil Wayne Explains Lil Wayne
- Psychiatrist Advises Degenerate Geniuses to "Check Your Head"
- StereoIQ Lines of the Week: July 30-August 7
- Osama Got Popped..
- DIY: Turning the RG shirt into an RG Lady-Tee
- ALL the lyrics to Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Explained
- RIP Biggie Smalls (the Rap Genius)
- Congressman Tweets Dickpic: Inspired by Kanye? Or Mannie Fresh? Who knows?
- Woman's work: transporting drugs for rappers
- Thank You Bouillabased God
- Rap Genius of the Month: Don Trip
- Hip-hop Superbowl: Black and Yellow vs Green and Yellow
- Jay-Z on Biting Biggie's Rhymes
- Pusha's "Fear of God" Mixtape: Don't Be Scurred
- Eminem, Recovery: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- All of the Lights: Seizure-tastic
- V-Nasty Saying The "N-Word"
- Cole Summer Saga Continues..
- Interview with producer and OFWGKTA affiliate BrandenBeatBoy
- I Love Hip-hop, But...Part I
- Rappers: Suckered by Obama's Charm, Just Like the Rest of Us...
- big boi exclusive: new outkast next?
- Eminem vs. Weezy: Who's the King of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative lyrics?
- Lil Wayne and Birdman's Notorious K.I.S.S.
- Was Slug the O.G. Drake?
- The 5 degrees of decadence in "Fashion Rap"
- Either Kanye and Ghostface both sleep head to toe with their respective cousins, or Kanye is biting
- "Get it?" Why do rappers explain their own lines in the Age of Rap Genius?
- Roots, How I Got Over: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- RIP Big Pun
- Rap Genius University: Rhyme Types
- Lulu's son shine: What is Jay-Z talking about in "A Star is Born"?
- Jay-Z, Eminem, and "Renegade": Who Killed Whom?
- Woman sleeps with Nas, Jay-Z, and Allen Iverson; reveals penis secrets
- "I Got More at Stake Than Philly": Reasonable Doubt decoded
- "Can't Knock The Hustle": How Jay-Z Came Up on Ace of Spades
- The Top Ten Verses of 2011
- Introducing RapMetrics™: The Birth of Statistical Analysis of Rap Lyrics
- Rap Genius Interview: Adam Bradley, editor of the Yale Anthology of Rap
- The Game R.E.D. Album Preview
- Wale Attention Deficit: DECODED
- Lil Wayne on Roman's Revenge 2.0: Only One Verse?
- Poll: What are the best "fuck songs" / "love songs" in rap music?
- Wiz & Amber sitting in a tree.. T - A - T - T - O - O - I -N -G
- "Words I Never Said": Lupe Fiasco's Anthem for the Egyptian Revolution?
- ALL of the "All of the Lights"
- Tat My Name On You So I Know It's Real
- Carter IV Preview: Lil Wayne rolling with a cougar
- 420 NEWS: Kid Cudi quits quitting weed
- Lil B album to be called "I'm Gay"
- Hipster Girl Raps "Look At Me Now"
- Prodigy's Book: The Anti-Decoded
- Lupe Fiasco's Long-Awaited Lasers...Cover Art
- Thurnis Haley: Really Into Golf
- Tyler Arrested In L.A.
- Tyler the Creator & Odd Future on Tim Westwood
- Goblin L.A. Concert
- Lil Wayne Carter IV Release Date
- Big K.R.I.T. booed at Highline Ballroom
- Odd Future Is The New Beatles
- "Dreams Money Can Buy" by Drake
- "Return Of Simba" by J. Cole
- FREESTYLE BATTLE: Lupe Fiasco vs. Bill O'Reilly
- Annals of the Rap Orientalist: Talk of Money in Rap
- "Acura Integurl" by Frank Ocean
- "She Wanna Have My Baby" by The Game
- Kendrick Lamar "Hiii Power" Music Video Breakdown
- "Marvins Room" by Drake
- "Everywhere I Go" by 2Pac
- "Tree" - Kid Cudi & Wiz Khalifa
- "Loud Noises" by Bad Meets Evil
- 2Pac on Intellectual Property
- "Ronald Reagan Era" by Kendrick Lamar
- Detox - July 26 Release Date?
- Lil Wayne: "Dear Anne" Lyrics Explicado..
- "Her Room" by Teyana Taylor
- Interview - Indie Artist "b.a.sick"
- Obama sings "Let's Stay Together"
- MO Purp please! New music from Alex Wiley, Kembe X and Chance the Rapper
- Hip Hop's Hero's Hubris?: RG Introduces Asaad
- Lupe Fiasco (and Big Sean) - "Wait for Me"
- Drake Interview
- Lyrics to Tyga's Well Done 2 Mixtape
- Norwegian Mass Murderer Hates Hip-hop
- The Bullitts X Jay Electronica MOOVIE
- "I'm On One" lyrics – Tyga
- "Oh My Remix" lyrics – DJ Drama
- Odd Future in Germany
- MeLo-X = Sade + The Weeknd
- J Cole Breaks Down His Album Title
- Soulja Boy: The Movie (Trailer)
- "Trouble on My Mind" lyrics – Pusha T
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain says farewell
- "I'm On One Freestyle" lyrics – Chamillionaire
- What's Wrong With John Galliano?
- Tyler The Creator Bonds With Tim Westwood
- Oh Mercy Me: New Music & An Artist to Watch
- "Uncle Otis" lyrics – The Game
- Consequence's "Pusha T Diss"
- Frank Ocean on "Watch The Throne".. Good Move? Bad Move?
- Rap Genius Reviews Dreams and Nightmares
- Jetlifer SinnersRemorse Reviews Curren$y's Priest Andretti
- Nardwuar Interviews Casey Veggies
- MJ Faded Way: Perfect
- Big Sean Arrested
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain spits a fire freestyle
- Wiz Khalifa x Curren$y x Big Sean = STONER MIXTAPE OF THE CENTURY
- Cam'ron Threatens iTunes
- Black Hippy Interview
- Watch The Throne (Snippets)
- Birdman Forbes Interview
- NEW MUSIC: "Hotel" by NRK (Nobody Really Knows)
- Watch The Based
- In the Zone: Jay-Z and Kanye West Live at Bank Atlantic Center
- EARL IS FREE!
- Rap Genius Editor Teaches Kreayshawn Makeup Techniques
- INSIDE GAME: The Making of Martians vs Goblins
- Rap Genius of the Month: Touré
- Kreayshawn's Ballinest Fan? Drake
- A$AP FERGENSTEIN: on the origins of "A$AP"
- "Watch The Throne" Preview
- Ambition 2: BEHIND THE SCENES
- J Cole on How Jay-Z REALLY Feels About "Cole World: A Sideline Story"
- Game's track-by-track breakdown of the Red Album
- Jay-Z 101 at Georgetown University
- Young Dr. Dre on TV!
- Drake care...
- Lil B's "I'm Gay"
- #Ambition (cover)
- Freddie Gibbs: Cold Day In Hell Cover
- BEEF: Fox News vs. Jon Stewart (& Common)
- Young Jeezy's TM103: Hustlerz Ambition Review
- Siri vs Biggie
- Bad Meets Evil on Fuse TV at Bonnaroo
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Cyhi is an Otis Fan
- N***AWATCH 2011: V-Nasty Calls A Black Man "N***a" In A Fight
- Mac Miller "Blue Slide Park" Tracklist
- Q: what will be this year's MOST MEME Halloween costume?
- MMG loves lyrics just like RG
- RUH ROH: Tyler the Creator Arrested (Again)
- NEW VIDEO: Lupe Fiasco's "Bitch Bad"
- RG RANCH SXSW RECAP (part 2)
- Introducing the Rap Genius Artist in Residence: The Black Cobain Experience
- 13 YEAR OLD KENDRICK LAMAR WISHES HE HAD RAP GENIUS
- TDE on Tour & Too funny
- Southern Boys Collide: Big KRIT & Yelawolf collaboration coming soon
- Rap Hoods - Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Big K.R.I.T. goes live from the underground and gets verified with RapGenius
- Lupe is a rap god but also human
- ras kass keeps it raw
- What is Wayne? The Artist Lives
- New Freshness: Urbana Poppin' Champaign (UPC)
- Ab-Soul Drawing Contest on Rap Genius?!
- Monday Morning with the BRKF$T Club
- Rhyme Spotters: Twinkies
- RIP KING CAPITAL STEEZ
- Artist in Residence: The Confessional, Day One
- Common talks LUV on Rap Genius - Live Ustream!
- first ever freestyled verified explanation (don't ask me how)
- Lupe Fiasco Exclusive world premiere: breaking down "bitch bad"
- Ras Kass Behind the Lines with Rap Genius
- Behind the Bars with RiFF RaFF, part 1
- Behind the Bars with Riff Raff, part 2 (prepare to be enlightened)
- Does Bruno Mars have a space in hip hop?
- Slaughterhouse tells RG what they really think about Black Hippy
- LUPE FIASCO EXCLUSIVE world premiere: Explore Lamborghini Angels
- LUPE IS HERE
- BIG BOI NOW VERIFIED ON RG!
- EXCLUSIVE Lyrics and More From Skyzoo's New *A Dream Deferred* -- UPDATED!!
- What Does Common Think About Rap Genius?
- 2012 BET Cyphers Lyrics: Who spit fire?
- Grand Theft Audio: The Music of San Andreas
- The Importance of Music Education
- big boi RG fan contest: are you big's rap genius?
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 1
- MEEK MILL EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE: Maybach curtains
- Ne-Yo is Now verified!
- Dreadlocks. Rasta?
- Blog fam Interview: AFH - Kendrick Lamar "GRIT"
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 2
- Verified Artist Lushlife is hosting an RG COmpetition
- Joey Bada$$ new single "Unorthodox"
- RANCH RECAP: RG at SXSW part 1
- Rap Genius x BET: Video Breakdown of Stalley's "Fountain of Youth"
- The Fine Art of the Name Drop: From Pac to R.A.
- News Genius Lines of the Week, 05/03/2013
- Kush and Corinthians: Religious Contradictions in Hip Hop
- The Honors English Rap Genius Challenge - CONTEST RULES
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/10/2013
- Skylar Grey x RG x Gigg "Final Warning" Verse Contest
- Young and Beautiful: The Anomaly That is Lana Del Rey
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/17/2013
- The 7 Stages of Yeezus: From "Through the Wire" to "I Am a God"
- "Jimmy's Back": A Documentary about Mass Incarceration by Dice Raw
- Why Kanye Chose No Album Artwork
- Top 10 Whistleblowers
- Wale Contest: Unlock the Meaning Behind The Gifted Lyrics and Win!
- Artist in Residence: Making of "The Recipe" freestyle w/ Black Cobain
- Honors English Lyrics Challenge Coming Soon - Sneak Peak
- TV Night at Cam's
I’m hesitant to put the label of “Top Ten” on this post, because that’s not exactly what this is. As we are all aware, there are several different elements that make Drake who he is. Some people says he’s feminine, in touch with his simpin’ side, emotional, real, comical, etc., but the one thing we can say about him without any doubt is that he’s open about his life in his music. Because of that, we’re treated to a plethora of quotables that are laced throughout his second LP, “Take Care.”
Whether that’s for the best or worst remains to be seen as of this moment, but the lines are definitely memorable. So don’t consider this a “Top Ten Lines” post, but more of a springboard for some of the more, uh, potent, lines to come from Drake’s “Take Care.” Also, these lines aren’t to analyze their meanings (that’s what we do all day on Rap Genius, right?), but to point out WHY they’re…uh….potent.
As a bonus, I got a couple of extra lines to comment on at the bottom that has to do with “Take Care”, but not with Drake, so keep reading…
(Note: these lines are presented in the order of appearance, not necessarily in rank)
“They got me on these White women like Seal, n-gga /
Slave to the p-ssy, but I’m just playing the field n-gga..”
–Drake’s “Over My Dead Body”
First and foremost, this is one of those lines that only Drake could pull off because of the references (and because of his DeGrassi roots). Most rappers don’t rack their brain to namedrop Seal in a verse, usually because it’s not exactly a great idea, and because USUALLY (EMPHASIS ON USUALLY) Black chicks don’t seem to like Black men dating White women. For some reason, this doesn’t apply to Seal anymore because (I’m assuming here) that Black chicks just gave up on the dude, and the only person who gets a pass to talk about it is Heartbreak Drake. Combine that with the fact Drake goes from that to a slick (but clever) slavery/plantation double entendre, and you have an interesting line for more reasons than one.
As an unrelated sidenote, I’ve never heard a Seal song before. I’m kind of proud of it…lowkey, though.
“The way you walk, that’s me, the way you talk, that’s me /
The way you’ve got your hair up, did you forget that’s me?”
–Drake’s “Shot For Me”
Anyone who actually LOOKS at this line in context could see the true meaning behind the rhyme (essentially, “Yeezy Taught Me”, but replace Yeezy for Drizzy), but for an unsuspecting troublemaker — like myself at times – this could be all the ammo someone needs to accuse Drake of being a cross-dresser in his private life.
I’m just saying.
“You know that they ain’t even got it like that /
you gon’ hype me up and make me catch a body like that..”
We may not know the background to this story, but I’m sure Drake will make another song talking about this song soon since he does things like that. Who knows, it may even be another Hot Boyz-remake like “Practice.”
All I can assume about “Headlines” is that before the song, something happened, and it make Aubrey upset to the point where he felt hype enough to say he’d catch a body over it, which is Urban-speak for a homicidal commitment.
“But wait,” you say, “Drake isn’t a hood cat! He has videos on Youtube of him getting upset at his mom for not bringing him a Tuna Sandwich on a bagel from Panera Bread, yo.”
And now you know why this line is relevant.
“The realest n-ggas say ‘Your lyrics do sh-t for me’ /
I told my story, and made his story (history)”
–Drake’s “Crew Love”
I could overreact here and say that the “Your lyrics do sh** for me” line makes me think of him exclaiming about working with Wayne (“OOOOH, he’s TOO good”), but that would be reaching, right? Honestly, it’s one of those clever double entendres that Drake’s getting better at throwing in the flow of a song. It’s also a snapshot line that represents a majority of the males that vibe with his music.
Yeah, we actually do exist. We just don’t go full-retard when talking about it like most females.
“F—k that n-gga that you think you found /
and since you picked up, I know he’s not around.”
–Drake’s “Marvin’s Room”
Drake’s so emotional…
But… this ties directly back into the previous statement, but for all of the wrong reasons. Unfortunately, some guys are NOT emotionally stable, to the point that they would actually do things like call their ex when they’re drunk just to vent. Dudes do this. And females entertain it on occasion. This line’s essentially the introduction to Pandora’s Box, because if the girl’s picked up the phone to see what’s up… Drake’s probably right.
And being a person that’s actually experienced this before (from the angle of the “guy not around”), my issue isn’t with the emotional dudes that do this, but the gullible girls that fall victim to this LINE. Call Drake emotional if you want, but I bet he’s gotten the drawers several times using this line BEFORE he put it in a song. That statement can wreak havoc on an unsuspecting conscious, and most girls who are open to a conversation with their ex get screwed over when the ex actually CALLS them on it.
Bold move, but it would explain the alcohol influences on this song, wouldn’t it?
“So I’m goin’ through her phone if she go to the bathroom /
in her purse right there I don’t trust these h—s at all”
This is one of three quotables that’ll be mentioned from “Lord Knows.” Relevant, because we have another side of Drake being shown here. Some people would call it the insecure side, or even a female trait (because dudes don’t usually check female phones………..that blatantly) but regardless of what you want to classify it as, it’s one of the grimiest lines you may hear, and Drake says it almost nonchalantly. It makes you wonder what else he snoops through when the girl’s not looking….
Female groupies, take heed; if you’ve slept with him, chances are he knows your Twitter password, especially if you tweet from your phone. Knowing Drake, he probably wrote the password down in his Blackberry for future references.
Then again, if a chick I knew set me up for a robbery, I’d overdo it too.
“I’m hearing all of the jokes, I know that they’re trying to push me /
I know that showing emotion don’t ever mean I’m a p-ssy /
I know that I don’t make music for n-ggas that don’t get p-ssy /
So those are the ones I count on to diss me or overlook me…”
What up, Pusha T?
Oh. Oh, snap. Let’s see how those returned shots play out.
“In this b—-h, all drinks on the house like Snoopy…”
– “Lord Knows”
This might be the best line on the album to me, and here’s why. ONLY Drake could’ve pulled this line off. If Jay or Kanye said it, people would look at them like they’re corny beyond words for making Peanut references. If someone said it in a Youtube freestyle, it would garner a chuckle, but it would be one of those bars that said Youtube spitter would punk out from using in real life because…well, some people might think it’s wack.
But Drake can say it because:
1) he’s Drake,
2) half of the people listening to him want him to say some outlandish bars anyway, and…
3) he was on Degrassi. By default, DeGrassi actors reference Charlie Brown at least twice a week.
This dude Drake said it at the end of his verse on a Just Blaze beat. No, not just any part of the beat, but the part where Blaze got the samples screaming their lungs out and the instrumentation blaring as if Jesus Himself was coming down out of the clouds to announce the end of the NBA lockout.
I’ll take Snoopy over the “Ball so hard muuhfuggas wanna fine me” line, anyday.
“They keep telling me, ‘Don’t Save You’/
If I ignore all that advice, and something isn’t right/
then who will I complain to?”
– “The Real Her”
Drake admits to saving promiscuous women (Urban-speak: hoes).
It was a matter of time, but I mean we knew he was Captain Save-A…right?
“I took her for sushi, she wanted to f—k so we took it to go, told them ‘don’t even plate it’” – “HYFR”
Drake has impeccable taste in women, obviously, but when it gets to the point where they can’t even plate sushi because he’s so ready to ‘go’? He literally just told them to throw it in the bag, yo.
But what happens if they ordered different kinds of sushi? Would they mind about it touching? Did they get separate bags, or would that take too long, too? How come they just didn’t get someone to deliver it to them? Did they find a trashcan outside and just go at it like that dude in “Kick-Ass”? Is mixing sushi even sanitary? (#FirstWorldProblems)
If said female KNEW she was raining beforehand, how come she just didn’t tell Drake? I don’t imagine Drake being the one to say NO to inner-thigh precipitation. I mean, imagine if hypothetically he was with a female named Maliah or something.
Maliah: “Baby, you ready?”
Aubrey: “Nah, not right now.”
Maliah: “That can wait-”
Aubrey: “Nah, nah, I gotta get my California Rolls and Soy Sauce. Save that for me later, I can’t do anything when I’m hungry.”
See? That doesn’t even sound right.
The Bonus Lines…
“He asked my sign, I said a Sag /
I’m A Star…Sheriff Badge.”
– Nicki Minaj, “Make Me Proud”
Yo, I’m not a rapper. By any means… but this is the second worst bar I’ve heard ALL year (it was the first until Ludacris snatched it back with his newest mixtape release). It’s painful to even hear, and I know that pause/hashtag/supa dupa flow is a rap form but does it have to be this blatant? My homie Jake told me she said this line and I originally didn’t believe it. Nicki’s got some good and bad bars, but I’m initially thinking there’s no way she’d say that..
…But If she said it, there’s no way it’ll make a verse, and if it made a verse there’s no way it’ll be on an album, and if it’s on an album there’s absolutely NO way she’ll OK that to be pushed as a single.
Turns out, I don’t know ANYTHING, man…
“Now the both of us are colorblind cuz the other side looks greener /
Which leaves your turf in a Boise State, can’t see a play or the team, cuz….”
– Andre 3000, “The Real Her”
Answering this as a football fan…
Ever watched a home Boise State college football game? They start like this…
And by halftime, it looks like this.
It’s extra work to just distinguish the players from the field, lol. I usually just watch to see the field goal kicker shank potential season-ending kicks off his foot (we got another one this season! Two years in a row! Incredible!) but even getting to that point’s frustrating. Watching a full game in HD makes my head hurt from trying to distinguish their outfits, more specifically their pants. As the team alternates colors, the home pant colors stay the same. Why? No idea.
I would say that they should take notes from Penn State’s pants, but Jerry Sandusky would probably like that…so nevermind.
“Villa on the water with the wonderful views /
Only fat n-gga in the sauna with Jews…”
– Rick Ross, “Lord Knows”
You know how Kanye re-coined the phrase “Sophisticated ignorance” in Otis? Well, this line from Rick Ross might be the best example of that we’ll see this year. Never mind the stereotype he uses, never mind how good he’s living in the song, just the fact that he had the audacity to SAY this line…
Yeah, that just happened.
There’s several other lines that could be mentioned and expounded on, but I think the point’s across pretty well. Regardless of all the jokes, Drake did a pretty good job here, and it’s on pace to sell well over 600k first week (thanks to people like me who actually bought the album, I guess). What other lines stuck you as memorable or quote-worthy? Let us know.
Until next time…