Longevity in the rap game. name a rap and what you think his secret is.

Nas and i feel he manage to stay relevant cos he spits on real life event occurring @ the certain time. Trends come and go but realness remains.

January 24th, 2013

Jay Z is pretty much the embodiment of longevity. His flow is so good that he sounds fresh on every successive album. He’s revolved around the development of technology and music and thats why he sounds just as good today as he did 10-15 years ago.

January 24th, 2013
MYH's photo

Even though Kanye hasn’t been around for too long I would say he is going to be relevant for a long time to come. He essentially reinvents himself on each album(for better or worse) and brings something new to the table. Many rappers just end up seeming stale over the years and I doubt that will happen to him

January 24th, 2013

Kanye adapts to new trends. “What You Know” by T.I. was a massive hit in 2006, so Kanye starts collaborating with the producer (DJ Toomp) and “Graduation” sounded distinctly Toomp-ish. Then check out “Mercy”, with it’s trap-style beat and the low voice that had been recently popularised by A$AP. I could go on…

January 24th, 2013
MYH's photo

I wasn’t saying that he is creating new genres of hip-hop or anything. I’m just saying that each of his albums sound much different than his previous ones.

January 24th, 2013

I think the comment on kanye is more or less a projection cos he has hardly bin on the rap scene for 10 years. And yeah he might follow trends but so does snoop and I bet its working for him.the ability to switch styles @ the right time is a strategy to longevity on its on.

January 24th, 2013