Real Meaning of "Cray"

The origin of the term “Cray” from “Niggas In Paris” is actually not a shortened form of “crazy”, nor is it “cray”, it’s actually “Kray”. It’s in reference to the schizophrenic twins Ronald and Reginald Kray. The Kray twins who were the crime lords of London in the 50’s and 60’s, the police failed to locate them on numerous occasions, which is where the line “ball so hard, muthafuckas wanna find me, that shit Kray. That shit Kray. That shit Kray.

Which brings me to the point of Jay-Z and Kanye West are GENIUSES! Honestly I don’t think a lot of rappers could come up with something like this.

November 2nd, 2011
metron's photo

That shit cray.

November 2nd, 2011

WTF, real Rap Genius here, regardless of whether this shit true or not. Good find.

November 2nd, 2011

This is me being that douche that mentions that this was trending on twitter so he probably didn’t find it he just clicked on the trending topic like 50 million other people did.

November 2nd, 2011

This shits been floating round tumblr for days lol. I don’t thats where they got it from dude. Jay was saying something like “that shit crazy” anyway.Just my $0.02

November 2nd, 2011
ApeVigoda's photo

if it is it’s not that genius….that’s like someone saying Gotti on some shit. OK good, you brought up a criminal awesome…he said it because that shit cray as fuck.

November 2nd, 2011

All I’m trying to say it’s original not a recycled line like “Life’s a, so__” I love the true meaning of the term and the incorporation of it into the song.

November 2nd, 2011

November 2nd, 2011

Posted to my fb

November 3rd, 2011
BossSteezJ's photo

The shit you find on the net.

THat shit cray

November 3rd, 2011

LOL this is ridiculous. this is a troll created by le-mia.tumblr.com and the whole internet fell for it. she has a fucking blog dedicated to her and everything…
Thatshitcrazykray.tumblr.com. She singlehandedly got EARTH to stop using Cray and start using KRAY. Everyone fell for it, The person at the top, that’s her original tumblr post You guys have been duped.

November 3rd, 2011

I tried to tell y'all but I guess the kool-aid was to nice to stop drinking.

November 3rd, 2011
Magnitude901's photo

So Jay says “crazy” in the verse and the lyric book says “crazy”, but no one wants to believe the piece of paper that came with the album…

Let’s believe some random guy on twitter who had an epiphany after hitting his crack-laced blunt.

November 3rd, 2011

Aw, i got trolled — hard!

November 3rd, 2011

lol this isn’t a troll. the kray’s were actual brothers who were involved in armed robberies, racketeering, arson, and various other criminal activities. Though they were originally feared in their environment, but went on to become somewhat like celebrities…remind you of anyone???

the obvious meaning of “that shit cray” is…crazy. but given the wealth of crime lord and crime lord movie allusions in the hip-hop cannon, i highly doubt this wasn’t intentional.

November 3rd, 2011