OT: How long was it before you got your first job?

C_Goomba's photo

I’m 19, and still without a job :/ I search and search but so far no one gets back at me. How old were all of you and where did you work? Some tips and pointers would be nice.

April 9th, 2013

I technically have a very-part time job working for family, but I’m lookin' for a real one right now. Today I’m gonna just go around my shitty little one-mile town and pop into anything with a “now hiring” sign like “ayyy lemme drop off a resume”

April 9th, 2013
Cujo's photo

get a fucking rad ass cover letter and references yo

April 9th, 2013

I’m still searching lol

April 9th, 2013
Idyllic's photo

jobs like past experience, pretty much of any kind, even volunteer work.
Im 18 and i applied to a bunch of different places for a good 3 months straight before my brother managed to help me get a job.

April 9th, 2013

get a fucking rad ass cover letter and references yo

Cujo one of my fav forumers fursure

April 9th, 2013

I was 16 and for a tip.. Don’t be picky with where you work literally apply eveyrwhere.

April 9th, 2013
Beanhead's photo

tips: be nice, turn up smart to the interviews. Get a dope CV up together. I know it’s tough man but best of luck!

April 9th, 2013

I was 19 when I got my first job. Be confident at the interview and get references or whatever else they ask for. You’ll find something man.

April 9th, 2013
  1. My best advice is to learn how to network, most jobs are found this way. It’s not easy, but nothing worthwhile is.
April 9th, 2013

‘Duhh can you show me where the ice cream is?'
Bitch can’t you see i’m working?

April 9th, 2013

I’ve been working shitty jobs since 15 and these past couple years I’ve been going to school and building my piano teaching studio which is what I do for money now. Now I’m doing music for a cartoon and also a video game and about to put out my mixtape.

April 9th, 2013

Also yeah, definitely network. Ask people if they know of any openings. Almost every time I’ve gotten a job it’s because of a reference of someone that works there. Most kids your age have jobs so just ask around and see if they know if their company is hiring.

April 9th, 2013

At 16 my P.O was like get a job or go to jail. So incentive i think places a big role. Think i have to get this job at every interview be respectful and wit goes a long way. I have never had a cover letter or resume and I’ve been working for 7 years. I always get the job if i get the interview. Especially when a female interviews me.
Swaggin on the interview.

April 9th, 2013
Jimbo51's photo

I’m 21 and have been working part time and going to school full time since I was 13.

Apply anywhere and everywhere

Call people back over and over, if you come off as annoying fuck it you probably wouldn’t have got the job anyways, make sure they know your name
Basically….“dont get forgotten”

Act and look professional (shave, haircut, tuck your shirt in, speak politely and correct….. “yes sir”, “no sir” etc.)

Dont think any job or wage is below you, 8 bucks an hour is 8 more than u are getting now with no job

Bring a resume and be prepared to answer questions and PASS A DRUG TEST

My most recent job drug tested me on the day of my interview, no warning or sending me to a lab or nothin, tested me right there in the manager’s office with an oral swab, go in to interviews clean.

Be ready to work and take orders, don’t think you are better than anyone and if your manager tells you to do some shit, do it, plain and simple

April 9th, 2013