Will we ever see another Hip-Hop/Rap artist go platinum in the first week again?

Now I know not many artists across all genres in this day and age have the ability to sell 1,000,000 copies in the first week, let alone hip-hop/rap artists, but we seem to have some worthy contenders this year that can possibly get close.

Now from what I’ve gathered, there have only been 3 rap/hip-hop artists that have gone platinum in the first week:

• Eminem — The Marshall Mathers LP (2000): 1,760,000 copies sold first week.
  • Eminem — The Eminem Show (2003): 1,322,000 copies sold first week.
  • 50 Cent — The Massacre (2005): 1,141,000 copies sold first week
  • Lil Wayne — The Carter III (2008): 1,006,000 copies sold first week.

Now looking at the years these were achieved, it seems highly unlikely that these numbers can be achieved in this day and age. But with that being said I’d like to add that it’s still certainly possible, as Lady Gaga did it in 2011 selling 1,108,000 copies this week and more recently Taylor Swift sold 1,200,000 copies in 2012.

So now that we know that it’s still possible for artists to put up numbers like this, the obvious choices this year in the Rap/Hip-Hop category are: Eminem and Drake.

Now lets look at their last album sales as it will give us a pretty good indication whether it is achievable for the respective artist.

Drake: Take Care (2011): Sold 631,466 copies in it’s first week.

Drake is one of the biggest and ‘hottest’ rapper in the game now and considering his fanbase will have grown since 2011 I would expect an increase in album sales for his next album. While I don’t think it’s possible for Drake to sell 1,000,000 copies in the first week with this album, but with the right single and promotion should see his album sales around the 750,000800,000 mark.

Eminem: Recovery (2010): Sold 741,000 in it’s first week.

Okay so, if I had to pick one rapper who had the best chance of going platnium in the first week, it’d be Eminem hands down. This guy is arguably the biggest artist across all genres and for what its worth, has a staggering 70,000,000 likes on facebook. Now obviously Recovery was a very commercial and radio friendly album with two massive singles (Not Afraid and Love The Way You Lie) and still only managed to sell 741,000 copies. Although the fans that he has gained since Recovery is incredible and with the right single and promotion I can definitely see this album borderlining the platinum status with the album sales around the 900,000 mark.

That being said, my personal opinion is that; while I don’t think it’s feasible for Drake, and unlikely for Eminem, I certainly think that he has the best chance and will get the closest to platinum in the first week.

Thoughts?

May 17th, 2013

eventually yeah

May 17th, 2013
Shad Fer's photo

sadly it’s gonna probably be PSY

May 17th, 2013
smashleigh's photo

Will we ever see another Hip-Hop/Rap artist go platinum in the first week again?

yeah… when a hip hop artist releases an album and their fan base purchases 1,000,000 copies in the first week, lol?

i agree with u that it’s possible for eminem. but platinum in a week seems a little unlikely today, because it’s way too easy to get music for free — unless of course, the album is good enough that some people who don’t usually pay for music do pay for it.

May 17th, 2013

Surely Macklemore

May 17th, 2013
smashleigh's photo

@Shad Fer, is PSY a hip hop artist?

May 17th, 2013
MyNamesCody's photo

yeah… when a hip hop artist releases an album and their fan base purchases 1,000,000 copies in the first week, lol?

Fking smartass

May 17th, 2013

Klonopin’s new project, ‘cause it’s Klonopin, and he’s God I guess

May 17th, 2013
C_Goomba's photo

well with free mp3 downloads, pirated music and people downloading ONLY the singles from an album (simply because they’re too fucking stupid to listen to a whole album or maybe the other songs on the album sucked) it’s not easy for artists. They don’t even make record deals like they used to. The value is sliced in half of what labels used to give artists. Eventually yeah it will happen but think about how technical rap has become since the early and mid 90s, cats are saying a whole bunch of crazy shit. An emcee imho has to be very original and being capable some some sort of chock value. take a look at Eminem…oooo wow look at this the first big white rapper since Beastie Boys50 Cent? wow people still making gun/ tough gangsta videos and songs?
So today i think the most original/captivating artist blowing up is Kendrick, and his GKMC shows it even though it didn’t go platinum in one week. So it WILL happen, I’m 19 so i have another 70-80 more or less years to see an artists become Hip Hop’s weekly Platnium gem.

May 17th, 2013

Yes. It’ll be M'Balls.

May 17th, 2013
C_Goomba's photo

shock value* my bad

also they need to have a very good promotion crew lol Eminem’s album should be one worth waiting for. It’s been over three years since he dropped an album plus with all the little stans that became Em fans because of Recovery this album might go platnium. We just have to see.

May 17th, 2013

Not only mp3 downloads but mostly youtube. If you can hear a song on youtube anytime you want, why would people keep buying so many albums (rhetorical question people, please don’t answer it like last time :).

May 17th, 2013
Kizman's photo

wait, didnt wayne sell 960k 1st week with carter 4?

May 17th, 2013

Going Platinum doesn’t depend on 1 Mill sales.

May 17th, 2013

BTW it seems that every great artist that have an album that did sellout is not better than his less selling albums.

SSLP is highly underrated and in my opinion better than all his other albums.

May 17th, 2013