6x's 2011 Review Rankings

6xPlatinum's photo

I began using the forum in August of this year and since then I’ve reviewed eight albums. Game’s RED Album was first, followed by Cudi’s Man on the Moon (1), and then Lupe’s Lasers. After that I took quite the break until November and then began taking the reviews a little more serious.

This is a list of albums that I reviewed and then ranked by the ratings that I gave them. I did review Cudi’s Man on the Moon, but since it wasn’t released within this calendar year, 2011, it is excluded .

Please note: Game’s RED Album was my very first review and the only album that I reviewed with a different formula. So I may have (definitely) overrated it a bit, but I will stand by the rating that I gave it, just know that it wasn’t done up the same way as the others. From here on out, all of my reviews should be done with the same method.

I’m not saying that these are the top albums of 2011, they are just the albums that I reviewed and how I rated them. This year’s list is small, but next year’s should be much larger and undoubtedly more debatable.

8th) …

Lasers

by Lupe Fiasco

2.16/5

High(s): All Black Everything
I’ve revisited this album a few times. Always with the same mentality, “Was it that bad?”… Yes. Yes it is. I stand by this rating. I may (definitely) have overrated “Out of My Head,” but that would have only lowered the overall rating. And yes, “State Run Radio” is AWFUL.
My review is here

7th) …

Blue Slide Park

by Mac Miller

2.82/5

High(s): Smile Back
I said it in my review; I like Mac Miller, the kid can flow. But his subject matter is fucking terrible. I didn’t mind some of the beats, but for the most part this thing is just easily forgettable. “Up All Night” is worse than Lupe’s “State Run Radio.” In retrospect, I may have been a little too kind with some things.
My review is here

6th) …

Radioactive

by Yelawolf

3.75/5

High(s): Write Your Name, Everything I Love the Most
Prior to reviewing this album I had never listened to Yelawolf. I had heard a few features here and there but never anything from his own releases. I was honestly a little shocked at how much I liked him. After I reviewed this I checked out his mixtape Trunk Muzik 0-60, which was quite superior to *Radioactive. I look forward to checking out some of his other work. The biggest downside to this album was definitely the hooks.
My review is here

5th) …

Camp

by Childish Gambino

3.9/5

High(s): You See Me, Backpackers, Bonfire
He gets quite a lot of hate and I suppose I understand why. I however, really enjoy his writing. It’s pretty damn witty and I’m not typically impressed by punch line rappers. If you read my review, you’d know that I hated on his singing a lot, since then, it’s grown on me a little bit. A friend of mine is a vocal coach and I had him check out the tracks where Gambino sings and he said it was fine. So maybe I’m just an asshole and didn’t like the way it sounded, but like I said, it’s growing on me. Again, like I said in my review, Gambino is doing what Lil Wayne can’t. Not a bad album.
My review is here

4th) …

Take Care

by Drake

4/5

High(s): Shot for Me, Lord Knows, Look What You’ve Done
If there’s anyone that gets a lot of hate, it’s Drake. He may not be the best rapper or even the best R&B singer around, but he’s a highlight in the current hip hop world. Here on Take Care I felt like he strayed away from the YMCB shit (except on “Headlines” and “HYFR”) and went down his own path – which is so-so-so much better. I think 40 did an awesome job overseeing the whole project, it definitely all fits in very well and the production paints a dazzling picture. A lot of people were griping about the length, I don’t normally care about length, but imagining this album without a few of the tracks, like “Headlines”, “HYFR” and “Make Me Proud”, dropping it by 10-15 minutes may have put this album higher on year end lists. It’s definitely a step in the right direction for Drake.
My review is here

3rd) …

R.E.D. Album

by Game

4.25/5

High(s): The City, Ricky, The Good, the bad, the Ugly
Like I stated above, this was my very first review and I didn’t have the same approach to it as I did the rest of my reviews. So 4.25/5 is quite overrated, I didn’t do track by track ratings to come out to a total, but again, I’ll eat it and stick by it. Kendrick’s feature on “The City” is fucking amaaaazzzziiiiing. The album boasts some pretty good beats with some average to above average features. Game just put out a video for “Martians vs Goblins” so it’s currently trending a bit. The album features Dr. Dre narrating throughout and I actually thought that concept was pretty cool. It’s what you’d expect from a Game album. Game fans love it, Game haters hate it.
My review is here

2nd) …

The Dreamer, The Believer

by Common

4.29/5

High(s): Gold, Ghetto Dreams, The Dreamer
I know a lot of people were anticipating this album all year, conveniently set with a release date in late December. I’m still infatuated with the production on this album and Common is as lyrical as ever. I really hope that this whole “Sweet” debacle wasn’t just for popularity, but what can I do? I wouldn’t argue against anyone that said this was the album of the year.
My review is here

1st) …

All 6’s and 7’s

by Tech N9ne

4.3/5

High(s): He’s a Mental Giant, Cult Leader, Technicians
I listen to All 6’s and 7’s in the same way I’d watch Gladiator. It’s big, it’s long, it includes some of the best verses of the year, the production is wonderful, it flows extremely well. And all of this comes from my first Tech N9ne experience. I’m very glad that I decided to give this album a spin. I highly recommend it to everyone. Don’t let the 4.3/5 rating fool you, this shit has so many tracks, it’s inevitable that the overall score suffers. Even the bonus tracks that weren’t included on the album brought some fire. I absolutely love “F.A.N.S.”, I wish it would have been included. My only gripe with my review is how easy I went on some of the songs in the middle of the album. “Overtime” and “Fuck Food” could have been excluded from the album and I would have been happy.
My review is here

So there you have it. Those are the album’s I’ve reviewed from 2011 and their ranks according to my ratings. Discuss, debate, call me an idiot, bitch because I’m saying that BSP is better than Lasers, and let me know what I should get primed to review for 2012. My 2012 year end list should be a lot cooler, just because I’ll have many more reviews to go off of and not a giant leap from 2.8/5 to 3.75/5

There were plenty of other reviews from other users on this site, HERE is a thread that includes a lot of the reviews themselves and a few links to some of the newer reviews. Give them some love too.

And one last time… I’m not saying that these are the top albums of 2011

December 23rd, 2011
J-Franks's photo

I liked TD/TB the best of these. Keep up the good work son.

December 23rd, 2011

I’ve never really seen someone review track-by-track like this, but I think it is really cool. These are some good reviews, nice job 6xPlatinum. I don’t think Take Care, The R.E.D. Album or All 6’s and 7’s were as good as you rated them, but it is your opinion. Also, the fact that you wasted your time with Blue Slide Park shows that you really care about these reviews. Why did you do reviews for Watch The Throne, Ambition, or Section.80? I would like to see those.

December 23rd, 2011
6xPlatinum's photo

YoungCityBandit,

Thank you very much for respecting my opinion and appreciating what I do. Yes, I do care about reviews, I’m going to try and do even more for 2012. I’m not really sure why I didn’t review those albums. Ambition came out as I was doing my A6&7, and Take Care was looming so I sort of just skipped Ambition. I’m going to try and fit more in. I contemplated doing Return of 4Eva but decided that it came out so early in 2011, it would be irrelevant now. I figured the same thing for a few other albums from the year.

I intentionally skipped over a few albums because other users reviewed them and I respected their work. Ones that come to mind are Jeezy’s TM:103, Mobb Deep’s Black Cocaine, The Root’s Undun and Watch the Throne.

December 23rd, 2011
kpleto77's photo

Good reviews, but Blue Side Park better than Lasers? I understand Lasers was mediocre but was it that bad, no not worse than anything Mac Miller related.

December 23rd, 2011

Holy shit, The R.E.D. Album getting a 4.2/5 is kind of baffling to me.

December 23rd, 2011

The only thing I don’t agree with is that Camp got a 3.9 I think it deserves a 4.5 cause of how much work Donald puts into his production

December 23rd, 2011
Conch's photo

I know it’s been said, but, 6X, you churn out that
analytical fire, kid! I can’t wait to read your reviews next year!

December 23rd, 2011

You’re impressed by gambinos punchlines?
No hate, serious question now. Have you listened to any other punchline rapper? That’s mostly what I listen to and he’s extremely low tier.

December 23rd, 2011
6xPlatinum's photo

@balla
I have listened to other punchline rappers and Gambino is the only one that I actually find humorous. I actually laugh at this guy’s lines, the shit is funny. I’m not saying he’s a better emcee than someone like Big L, I just really appreciate his writing.

Now I am admitting that I personally overrated Game’s R.E.D. Album a bit, but have you guys actually listened to it? Don’t just overlook it because it’s Game. The album is pretty good. Is it possible that you guys are underrating it? HipHopDX just had their Year End Awards and R.E.D. Album was chosen as the “Readers Choice Album of the Year”. So I know I’m not the only one that thought it was good. Whatcha all think? Tech N9ne was also awarded “Emcee of the Year”.

HERE is the link to the HipHopDX award page

December 24th, 2011

^Game’s good, but the beats on R.E.D were garbage. And I was amazed when I saw that on HHDX.

December 24th, 2011
6xPlatinum's photo

I didn’t think all of the beats on R.E.D. were garbage. The three songs I listed as high points up there all had good production. “The City” wasn’t that special as far as production. But “The Good, The Bad, The Ugly”, “Martians vs. Goblins” and “Ricky”, you didn’t like those?

December 24th, 2011

No offense CrosChriss, but 6x is not a kid. He’s 25 years OLD. (Emphasis on the old part)

December 24th, 2011
6xPlatinum's photo

December 24th, 2011

Mac Miller is charismatic and has a good flow, but Blue Slide Park was TERRRIBLE and that’s coming from a fan. You should check out his older mixtapes like K.I.D.S. and Best Day Ever

May 28th, 2012