From what I hear in the recording, the way he pronounced the first 3 syllables in American and the word pie definitely sounded like it had more emphasis when contrasted with ‘can’. Same with the syllables on the next line when compared to ‘was’.

He is stressing the vowel sounds Ehh, Eee __I over three lines. If Don Mclean was to choose an alternative word that didn’t fit the Eh Ee rhyme scheme, it would have spoiled the rhythm and flow of the melody, or at least sound less catchy. And the same vowels are heard over three lines so judging by the laws of probabilities, I wouldn’t put it down as coincidental. Don Mclean was on some ish.

September 30th, 2013

@DiceCube “From what I hear in the recording, the way he pronounced the first 3 syllables in American and the word pie definitely sounded like it had more emphasis when contrasted with ‘can’. Same with the syllables on the next line when compared to ‘was’.”

It sounds to me like you’re comparing the cadence with which he says “American” and “levee was.” Yes, they have a similar emphasis in comparison to the sentence, but if you want to start discussing lazy, absolute shit rhymes, you’ve given a pretty good example there, if by some stretch of the imagination that’s a rhyme.

Of course prose started rhyming and built the fundamentals of the lyrics of all genres of music. To denounce that and say it was Don Mclean is to say that the English language hasn’t inspired the writing of The Catcher In The Rye.

Still, imo, a huge reach and an increasingly moot point.

September 30th, 2013

mods pls move this to rock genius forum

September 30th, 2013
Teebird's photo

ban OP pls

September 30th, 2013

Only Gucci could make that shit rhyme

squad

September 30th, 2013

I’m well aware of what slant/half rhyme is. Things like vocal and opal are. What Don McLean does isn’t. He pronounces it A-mer-i-can pie and the leh-vee was dry. The only things that rhyme are a/the, i/vee (which is a really loose half rhyme), and pie/dry.

And if measuring/treasuring is lazy and shouldn’t count then so shouldn’t things like monkey and one key, which would mean like half of the multis in rap shouldn’t count. Just look at this song.

September 30th, 2013

@mipetizz No it’s not lazy, it takes skilful rhyming technicality to identify which syllable are prominent and which ones are silent before working on a multi and knowing what rhyming words you can get away with as oppose to rhyming the same word with itself which is unintelligible. Secondly, feminine rhymes (Treasuring/Measuring) where the ending syllables are identical, are equivalent to saying rhymes like b);

a) Scornfully/Mournfully
B) Cat just died / Rat just died

Now would you consider b) a multi? Both examples are 3 syllables long. But just because feminine rhymes are singular words, all of a sudden they magically become dope multies. See kid, in the Hip hop world, all the great multisyllabic rappers (Eminem, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Big Pun, Dice Cube) approach words syllable to syllable. This perspective eliminates feminine rhymes as multies. This is why in Kool G Rap’s book How to Rap none of the multisyllable compound rhyme example feature feminine rhymes. And go to Hip hop sites like Flocabulary.com, feminine rhymes are excluded from the examples.

And if you think Don Mclean’s rhymes still isn’t a multi because of was and can. Then check out this example by Eminem. This line in Eminem’s Lose Yourself lyric is the most referenced example for dope multies everywhere, even by Rapgenius.

arms are heavy There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti
He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to drop bombs,
But he keeps on forgetting

Now I’ll assume you have no doubt that the above is considered a multi right? Okay moving along. This is where I will break it down and show the striking similarities it has with Don Mclean’s rhyme.

Arms are heavy
Mom’s spaghetti
calm and ready
on forgetting

Are has a Ah sound, the A in spaghetti is pronounced like the I in spit, the vowel in and has a Eh sound, and the O in forgetting has the same sound as the vowel in Rock. The silent syllable in this example is just like the Don Mclean rhyme scheme I pointed out. And the syllables in both Eminem and Don’s examples also end with a different consonants. If this highly referenced Eminem rhyme scheme is considered a multi by many Hip hop sources , then I don’t see why American Pie and The Levee Was Dry shouldn’t .

There’s levels to this shit, you need to expand from your 2nd grade Dr. Seuss perspective on rhyming.

October 1st, 2013

@#MLTS I already made one for Rock genius, this thread fits both genres.

@Teeb I got the backing of Maboo the king of Purple hats, he is the one that promoted me :)

October 1st, 2013

@DiceCube

I will admit to feminine rhymes having a certain lacking rhyme quality. However, I’ll still say that when used correctly, they have their place. Lines like “Cat just died/rat just died” are partially commonplace, but they generally
Have more rhyming syllables prior to the repeated words.

It’s all good that you’ve taken to educating yourself about the science of rhymes, but the fact of the matter is that for the most part what you’re saying is known by anybody who avidly listens to rap, you’ve just attached
specific terminology to it.

I would argue that in that Eminem example you gave, the rhymes you’ve bolded are the most miniscule part of the rhyme schemes throughout the verse. Even then, those lyrics from Lose Yourself have a much more prominent and well-done
example of slant rhymes.

And gtfoh with that “kid” and “Dr. Seuss” shit you pretentious douche bag.

October 1st, 2013