I HAVE TO WRITE AN ESSAY -- about Kendrick Lamar

My Thesis?

That Kendrick Lamar has what it takes to be a Hip-Hop legend.

I will argue this essay through sales, his continuation to remain relevant since he dropped Swimming Pools, as well as his raw talent.

I will drop the essay here once I have it graded. If anyone has any other things I can argue it would be greatly appreciated.

October 24th, 2013

Control verse nigga.

(talk about how it revived competition)

October 24th, 2013
RTJII's photo

his continuation to remain relevant since he dropped Swimming Pools

so…

a year of relevance is how you’ll prove he will be a legend?

Should just change essay to Drake, he has better sales & has been more relevant (and for longer) than Kendrick tbh.

October 24th, 2013

GKMC sales aren’t enough evidence to prove he has what it takes to be a legend. I’d recommend talking about someone more interesting.. Like Kanye West

October 24th, 2013

The potential of the Drake vs. Kendrick thing to get bigger

October 24th, 2013

you must have a cool teacher.

1 reference to name dropping does it help or hurt his career.
2 Is he influencing hip hop? GKMC didnt have any big hits but still did well in sales.
3 Can he continue his success without changing his style.

October 24th, 2013

I could do Drake, yes.

And Kanye is already legend status, or I would have done that

October 24th, 2013

Make a point of the fact that he is a reaction to what has been popular before, but instead of going in a completely opposite direction (which is what most “fresh” artists do) he goes down the same road as his peers, but takes a critical standpoint (as opposed to the glorification of the 2000’s).

Also write about how he made a name for himself. First he maintained a steady “underground” audience, then got noticed by Dre and made a major label album which was more “mainstream” than his previous efforts, but didn’t suffer any sacrifices. You should compare him to Eminem if you decide to write about this.

The fact that he’s been able to balance backpacker and mainstream acclaim is what makes him so important.

October 24th, 2013

Well, you have to indicate which rappers you consider to be legends. And if that list is laughable, then this essay is dead on arrival. Not that it matters for the purpose of some class. The fact that you’re focusing on sales is a bad start though- some of the most critically acclaimed rap albums of all time haven’t even gone gold or platinum. Sales indicates great marketing more than anything else.

October 24th, 2013

Legends:

Eminem
Rakim
Nas
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Andre 3000 (outkast period)
2Pac
Biggie
KRS-ONE

Just to name a few.

October 24th, 2013
Barrk's photo

seems like a legit list

October 25th, 2013

Looking back a year since GKMC dropped, how has it influenced mainstream hip hop, and are rappers following his influence?

Did Control help his career, or hurt him in raising the expectations for his next project?

Do you think Control really brought competition? In my opinion it tried, was a short fad, and didn’t quite do what it was supposed to.

October 25th, 2013

Should just change essay to Drake, he has better sales & has been more relevant (and for longer) than Kendrick tbh.

Tru shit @RTJII

Plus, Drake was the one who gave Kendrick his first bit of relevancy tbh

October 25th, 2013
JFKilla's photo

@swagkingkale

pls gtfo

October 25th, 2013
October 25th, 2013