What would the rap game be like today if Tupac shakur and Christopher wallace never existed

Almost everybody who knows a little bit about rap music in general has pac and Biggie cemented as the best two rappers of all time. If people want to get “creative” they might have nas or em in their top two. Personally I have eminem at #1 but thats irrelevant to the point im trying to make.

The biggest debates on this site seem to revolve around pac, big, nas(illmatic) eminem and lil wayne.

First off I want to talk about Illmatic. It changed the game, no doubt. Having said that and almost 20 years passed Alowing rap to evolve yet people still defend illmatic as this immortal untouchable piece of art. Its such a widely accepted opinion that if you dont love it, your not a fan of ‘real hip hop.’ In reality that album was like a stepping stone that only rasised the bar during that “golden era” of rap. The equivalent of this would be like saying the Boston Celtics of the 1960s were the best nba team of all time, however we all know they would be mediocre at best in todays league.

“Pac and Big top five dead or alive” I know this doesnt apply to everyone but for those who feel guilty leaving big or pac out of your top 5 list ask your self this . If Your car only had a cd player, and you can choose ONE artist s discography to have in it who do you pick? Personally, as much id love to hear 10 crack comandments and Niggas bleed forever, I would choose an artist with a large body of work. The fact that pac and big died young is a tragedy but you cant assume that had they lived their quality of rap would have continued at that level. Everybody declines as they age weather its em nas jigga or kanye. If you have big and pac as goats thats your opinion.. but dont imclude them because thats what every other fuckboi says so you dont want to seem ignorant and not include them. have a mind of your own, if you bump drake 24/7 and only heard 7 day theory twice, say you like drake better than 2pac! Shit I have fabolous in my top 5…

Em or wayne: aka apples or oranges. You cant compare them because they are polar opposites. There will never be another eminem, or lil wayne. They are just as important to the game as pac and big. But to argue over who is better is just retarded. When it comes to rapping perfectly to format and rhyming syllables with the beat eminem is the rap god. But weezy brings an abstract element to his music that em could never do. The brillance behind waynes ability to rap in metaphors and still have a legitimate meaning is unreal. its like em raps with the right side of his brain and weezy uses the left . Not comparable. Both dope.

In all honesty it seems like half of the people whos post on this site just pretend to like shit because they dont wanna seem like they arent real rap fans. next time someone asks you what the best album of all time is dont just blurt out mmlp or illmatic unless you actually love that album. I dont care who you like or what your opinion is but atleast be real.

This doesnt apply to everyone but those of you who stil claim illmatic is the
Best rap album of all time and dont even know the words to “halftime” you mightjust be a poser.

November 22nd, 2013
Nasir's photo

A lot of the people they influenced throughout there life probably wouldn’t be rapping, and not just rappers but people in general.

November 22nd, 2013
Lampz's photo

Stopped reading after your first sentence.

November 22nd, 2013
PTICA's photo

Are you implying 2Pac has small discography?

November 22nd, 2013

To answer the question: It would be a bit more violent, but apart from that not much change

To answer your ramble: tl;dr

November 22nd, 2013
Jezzaboii's photo

If Biggie and Pac never existed, I think..

Jay Z and Nas would be the KINGS of Hip-Hop and maybe they could’ve died when they where beefing making them the two HUGE legends of Hip-Hop?

I think if Tupac wasn’t around…. The whole California rap sound wouldn’t be what it is today. It would probably be different. I also think Dre would be called the King of the West Coast and would have probably dropped Detox.

I think if Biggie wasn’t around….. The early stages of the 2000 NY sound rap would be different. Probably undeveloped like if Pac never existed.

November 22nd, 2013
Bolly's photo

Honestly I’d probably be somewhat the same as it is now, except Jay-Z wouldnt be as big.

November 22nd, 2013
Barrk's photo

ded at

Almost everybody who knows a little bit about rap music in general has pac and Biggie cemented as the best two rappers of all time.

November 22nd, 2013
Barrk's photo

I got 2pac at 4 & biggie not even in my top 10

November 22nd, 2013
FanaHOVA's photo

Jay Z and Nas would be the KINGS of Hip-Hop and maybe they could’ve died when they where beefing making them the two HUGE legends of Hip-Hop?

Jay Z wouldn’t exist without Biggie

November 22nd, 2013

Jay Z wouldn’t exist without Biggie

He owes nothing to Biggie but features, he was makin raps before BIG

November 22nd, 2013
FanaHOVA's photo

He owes nothing to Biggie but features, he was makin raps before BIG

Oh don’t make me laugh.

November 22nd, 2013
thechea's photo

Let me just quote you here and see if I’m getting this right…

“Its such a widely accepted opinion that if you dont love it (referring to Illmatic), your not a fan of ‘real hip hop.’ In reality that album was like a stepping stone that only rasised the bar during that “golden era” of rap. The equivalent of this would be like saying the Boston Celtics of the 1960s were the best nba team of all time, however we all know they would be mediocre at best in todays league.”

So you are implying that Illmatic is “mediocre” by today’s standards?

November 22nd, 2013
Barrk's photo

@thechea
Rofl

November 22nd, 2013
thechea's photo

I’d just like to add that I’m not saying you have to love Illmatic and hail it as the holy grail, but to say that it is average by today’s standards, or any standards for that matter, is just ridiculous in my opinion.

November 22nd, 2013