If Biggie and Tupac were still alive, would they still be GOATs?

AndyV's photo

So, I know this has the potential to be a controversial topic, and I want to preface it with this: I really only got into hip-hop within the last year or so. I’ll be the first to admit that I know just about jack-shit about hip-hop before, say, 2003. A corollary of this is that I listen to just about no Tupac and Biggie. That’s just the way it is (Yeah, that’s about the only Tupac reference I can make.)

So, this morning, in my dream-like state of between-sleep-and-consciousness, I thought of something. Would Tupac and Biggie be considered GOAT rappers if they weren’t killed? What if they were still alive today and ended up dropping way the hell off at some point in their careers (a la Lil Wayne)? I’m sure that if Lil Wayne was killed in August 2008 (a couple months after TC3) his name would at least be considered with those two guys by some people.

Thoughts?

February 25th, 2012
Klonopin's photo

I think they would’ve ended up like every other rap artist who was big in the 90’s. .

February 25th, 2012
AndyV's photo

Expand on that thought. Diddy was big in the 90s, Nas was big in the 90s, Jay was big in the (late) 90s.

February 25th, 2012
Conch's photo

Their deaths save their legacies. They left the mortal coil before they had the opportunity to fall and release a boat-load of sub-par material.

That is not to say that they would’ve inevitably fallen off; rather, their murders safeguarded their discographies and gave them a musical immortality. Rather ironic, I’d say.

February 25th, 2012
SeanLysle's photo

Honestly I believe Pac wouldn’t be considered all that great, but Biggie would be, but that’s a BIG maybe.

February 25th, 2012
M1C's photo

nope.

Seriously I’m not even going to front, but I heard back in the day (90’s was he was alive) Tupac wasn’t even talked about as one of the best rappers in the game. The reason he was known was because of his controversial stunts and not really his rap skills. And I think we can all agree Tupac rap skills are average at best, he wasn’t on the same level as Biggie Smalls, Jay Z, and Nas.

He was respected because he spoke the truth and he didn’t give a fuck and I respect him for that too(I’m a fan of Pac). But he isn’t the GOAT nor did he have the potential to be the Greatest of all time like say Biggie Smalls.

February 25th, 2012
Ace23's photo

They are not the GOATs.

February 25th, 2012
M1C's photo

^

Agreed, but Biggie Small did have the potential to be imo.

February 25th, 2012
M1C's photo

@Klonopin

what do you mean when you say:

“they would’ve ended up like every other rap artist who was big in the 90’s.”

February 25th, 2012
M1C's photo

Not every big rapper in 90’s are still relevant.

Jay Z is a big timer worth over 300 Million Dollars
Nas is on the top of his game
Busta Rhymes is still doing his thing
Snoop Doggy Dogg making more pop record than he is making rap records (wonder how Pac would react to this if he was still alive)
…………

and then there are rappers who are almost non-existent to the new rap world for the new listeners (Wu-Tang Clan, AZ, Kool G Rap I can go on for days)

February 25th, 2012
RimmerGawd's photo

if KRS-One died after his debut solo album, I’m pretty sure there might be a good chance he could be overrated like 2Pac or Biggie

February 25th, 2012

Honestly I like Tupac more than Biggie (yeah, yeah, technical skill or whatever, talk to the proverbial hand) and I don’t think that Tupac was one of the greatest ever…good, absolutely, same with Biggie, but GOAT? Nah, not to me at least.

It could’ve happened, because some artists do keep getting better over the course of their careers, but who the fuck knows?

Personally, I think Biggie would’ve been really successful at least for a while, but he couldn’t have hacked it over most modern, synth-driven beats. Whether he really would’ve had the power to change the direction of the industry so that people wouldn’t be using synth-driven beats as much is open for debate, but I doubt it. He would prolly be working with people like Premier and 9th Wonder, and be one of those dudes who’s big in the underground but isn’t “mainstream famous."
As for Tupac, who the fuck knows? He had crazy hard shit sometimes, but he was definitely also willing to make club tracks. Honestly it seems like he would’ve been more likely to fall off eventually, at least to some degree. He definitely could’ve been very successful up to (and even past) that point, though.

tl;dr Pac might be signed to Young Money, Biggie would be a bitter old man who did albums with 9th Wonder.

February 25th, 2012
AndyV's photo

Just to clear things up, I’m saying that they are GOATs because, if you walk up to a random person on the street and ask them, “Who is the best rapper of all time,” ~85% of people will say Tupac or Biggie. That isn’t necessarily my opinion, like I said, I barely listen to them.

Bottom line: Stop saying they aren’t GOATs and contribute to the conversation. MisunderstoodGen, good. I like the contribution. Ace, work on it.

February 25th, 2012
gone_1m2y's photo

No biggie would wear tight jeans and a small t-shit with Elvis hair and tupac would be fat and wear cowboy leather jeans, just kidding they would both hit 10 platinium with every new album. And there wouldn’t be no shitty music like you hear today

February 25th, 2012

85% of people in High school would say Lil wayne or Drake. It doesn’t mean shit

February 25th, 2012