OT: Losing weight

Yo what’s good everybody? I put together a little resource for those who want to/are thinking about losing weight. As you’ve probably heard, diets are a great way to lose weight quickly and gain it back in 6-12 months. These 10 “rules” that I put together are not at all about dieting or nutrition, but just some general physiological things you need to know in order to really lose weight (primarily from fat) and keep it off.

I’m posting it here because I’m worried a lot of you mfers don’t get a lot of daily physical activity…just kidding. I’d really just like to know what you think about this text:

• Does it completely make sense?
  • Do any concepts need a more clear explanation?
  • Any specific questions that the information raises?
  • Is it useful?

Please let me know what you think, and what other sort of health texts you’d like to start seeing. Thanks!

http://news.rapgenius.com/Health-genius-weight-loss-and-what-you-should-know-annotated

February 14th, 2014
February 14th, 2014
A1_Day's photo

You should throw in weight lifting. Even really basic compound lifts can really help you as a newcomer. More muscle = better metabolic rate (the more muscle you add, the easier it is to burn fat).

Even if you’re in a calorie deficit, as a newbie you can still add muscle and lose weight in your first year of lifting.

February 14th, 2014

Good shit.

Concerning food, you should also mention the extreme but effective only proteine diet. A guy I know did that shit. You prolly know that your body can make energy molecules out of proteine molecules.

I tried but couldn’t keep it up. You feel weak as shit in the gym but it def work since all the fat you body can use is the one already stored and from proteines.

February 14th, 2014

ALso, I would add to eat early in the morning, to get your digestive system “on.”

Fuck seriously, I suck at explaining this shit in english, I learn all that specific talk in french, haha.

February 14th, 2014

will I become make muscle if i take testosterone ?

February 14th, 2014
Swords's photo

@Haifisch Parlez-Vous Francais?
Boi, I forgot all of my French a long ass time ago, but you can try, and I’ll decipher.

February 14th, 2014
MHealx's photo

This is really good. I like the fact you made it about a lifestyle change, rather than diet or exercise based. A holistic approach is needed. You briefly mentioned resistance training — that could be something to go further into, since many people always associate weight loss with activities like “running”.

Added a few suggestions but other than that well done. Where are you at with your studies?

CC: @Ezzo

February 14th, 2014
Ezzo's photo

Thank you very much, @SR_thePangloss for starting this conversation, and for @XXXV for tagging me. ;)
(Shoutout to @Haifisch who has been providing great suggestions, as well.)

Overall, I LOVE this idea of having “Health Genius” tips/steps. This is going to be promoted on the FB/Twitter pages, for sure!

A Couple of Things

Firstly, my apologies to those who have been working diligently at uploading content. I know I’ve kind of been slacking on HG content over the last month or so. But I hope to definitely put some work in; we actually have a couple of verified artists on lock, and they will be annotating a HG-related page very soon!)

One suggestion I would like to make (and this goes for any page): PICTURES! We definitely need them. We’ve had conversations about how we are trying to reduce wordy annotations. Not to say that your annotations are too wordy, @SR_thePangloss. I just highly believe that the common saying of “A picture is worth a thousand words” holds true. And videos can even say a lot more…!

Also… I’m curious about what @SR_thePangloss thinks about this being a group-based thing. If other people are interested, I can definitely talk to a staff member about getting a subforum started for Health Genius where we can stay committed on expanding the Health Genius project (cc @SameOldShawn) and discussing anything we think is worthy of putting up on the site… while also coming up with material on our own. We could start Google Docs and have Google Hangouts where we can discuss certain health topics and create a crowdsourcing page before it’s even uploaded onto the site!

Moving to the “Content”

The content looks fantastic. To echo what @XXXV said, I really like the fact that you made this about lifestyle change rather than a dietary change. When it comes to weight loss, I think the majority of people (even some health practitioners) like to emphasize on one’s diet.

I was thinking that we could mention something about metabolism. Either define it in the “terms to know” or mention it in one of the points.

Actually, come to think of it, it may be a good idea to put each term in text… where, instead, users can click on the “terms” and then we can define the terms via annotations.

That's all I got so far. SOLID WORK!

February 14th, 2014

If you want to lose weight, make sure you end the day at a CALORIC DEFICIT. If you are not willing to count calories, losing weight is still just as doable, but figuring out how much you can eat per day may be a little more difficult.

February 14th, 2014

@XXXV last semester before I have to do this 400 hour internship smh..

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all, definitely checkin' those out and seein' what changes I can make.

@A1_Day I’ve started some pretty basic stuff like that here, but I’ll get some more up soon. Right on!

February 14th, 2014
Leverag's photo

am skeleton

February 14th, 2014
February 14th, 2014
MHealx's photo

@SR_thePangloss

400 hours…Ouuuch! Got a placement yet?

February 14th, 2014
Shaneee's photo

I’m not going to bother reading it, but I made a quick post in the lift genius thread, concerning someone asking how to lose weight. Before copying it here, I’ll add, I’m always down to answer questions in regards to anything biologically.

Ok.
First, calculate your BMR:
BMR Calculator (this will suffice)

Then, put in appropriate activity multipliers:
(Your number)x1.2=For sedentary people/rest days
(Your number)x1.375=Your usual training day
(Your number)x1.55=Very strenuous training.. ie 1.5+hours of aerobic training, hard physical labor jobs, etc.
You won’t need to go higher than that most likely.

Next, reduce that number ^ by 20% (or just a general 500 kcals)

Then, choose your macro breakdown.. some solid choices: (p/c/f)
20/50/30
30/40/30
40/30/30
(Fat should be kept @30% for optimal hormonal output)
Or rather, keep fat at 30% of your calorie intake. Then, aim for at least 1.6g/kg of protein, then whatever % is left put it into carbs.
Choose any foods you wish to fulfill this breakdown.
Meal frequency and timing as well as composition are irrelevant
For dieting, I recommend an intermittent fasting protocol, it helps me a lot with satiety issues.

Now, because of the TEF, your calories are not what you will expect.
Let’s convert them, assuming someone chose this, as an example:
200g protein
350g CHO
50g fat
Normally you’d expect: 800cal/1400cal/450cal
Because of TEF, you actually get: 560cal(30%)/1330cal(5%)/441cal(2%)

Every 7-10 days, remove a fixed percentile from the cals and repeat recursively. Let’s just use 10 days for this example.
Drop between 2.5-5% depending on somatotype (Let’s just go with 2.5% for this example).
Our total true cals is 2331cals.
That * .975 will equal 2273cals which means a 58cal drop.

Now, revert back to normal kcal to figure the correct # of grams to drop from whichever macro you choose.
Example: For CHOs — 58/.95=61cal then 61/4 will result in 15g removed from CHOs.
I assume you can do this calculation now for any macro, but for protein it will result in 21g gone.
Continue to drop on your specific day, recursively, by the amount already specified (2.5-5%)

I’ll also address some hormonal effects of dieting (briefly):

Ghrelin will increase, Leptin will decrease, Testosterone will rise, estrogen will decrease, thyroid hormones will decrease, cortisol (and thus catecholamines) will increase.
This is also the main reason for REFEED days (not a cheat day) every probably 7-10 days while starting the dieting, and as you get down into the 10% and less range, more often. It’s because the refeed days will resensitize leptin (specifically CHOs), which then has huge implications on fat loss (via hypothalamus signaling).. such as an increase in metabolism (via increased catecholamines and thyroid hormones), and a decrease in hunger (affecting ghrelin, neuropeptide Y, agouti-related peptide, etc — these hunger hormones, and positively affecting satiety hormones such as melanocortins, CCK, PYY, GLP1, etc).

As far as training goes during a deficit, do strength training (but not excessively heavy loads due to decreased collagen density whilst cutting).
I can go into more detail on the above ^ if you wish, but in short, strength training during cutting will help to attenuate microtears."

February 23rd, 2014