NWTS review.

I just decided to do this yesterday having listened to this album once again. Before I start I’ll go ahead and admit that Imma big Drake fan.

Tuscan Leather- love the beat and the shrieking girl sample thing. Nice start, very braggadocio, the flow in this part is decent. However, where this song really takes off is with the beat and flow change and than Drake delivers a very very good verse. Than it changes again and for a second you believe that this nigga may be spending too long on the intro. However this verse offers more-different flow again and some good lines.
Favourite line- “I make mistakes, I be the second to admit it. I think that’s why I need her in my life to check me when I’m tripping."
8/10

Furthest thing- Production is on point again. Nice mellow Cudi feel to it. Fits perfectly with the hook. Hook is 9/10. Verses are aight, they just don’t jump out. The beat changes and so does Drake. The whole mood. Goes full braggadocio.
Favourite line- “yours truly the boy, I just build and build more y'all niggas just build and destroy”.
Or
“Girl don’t treat me like a stranger girl you know I seen ya naked."
8/10

Started from the Bottom- catchy as fuck and does exactly what it needs to. Perfect banger. Bit superficial but whatever. Bit repetitive but it works.
Favourite line-“started from the bottom now we here"
8/10

Wu Tang Forever- one of the best beats of the album. Lyrics are good. The change of the voice is sick. The verse after he changes his voice is dope. Hook is solid 8/10. Needs more rapping even though singing is on point.

Favourite line- “I know we only fucking out of spite cause your man don’t, do you right.”

Own it
Beautiful start. Near perfect. Then a great transition into the “next time we…” lines. Good shit. I don’t really vibe to the man saying Own it heaps but whatever. love the simple production that focuses the attention on the poignancy of Drakes lyrics. After he drops the bomb of ‘niggas talking more than bitches these days’ it steps up a notch and delivers an even better verse.
Favourite line- “You’re still the one that I adore. Ain’t much out there to have feelings for.”

8.5/10

Worst Behaviour- this track has me banging. Production has me banging and you can’t help shouting ‘MOTHERFUCKER NEVER LOVED US’. Bit indifferent about the rest of the song though, gets a bit boring. However, in saying that, the last verse is decent.

Favourite line- “always hated the boy but now the boy is the man motherfucker I done grown up.”

7/10

From Time- maybe my favourite of the album. Vintage Jhene Aiko, delivering an incredible hook and intro. Drakes flow on this is fucking sick. The lyrics are deep-lot of feeling here. Production is spot on aswell, the sharp string sounds aligning perfectly with the purposeful rapping.

Fav line- “I like when money makes a difference but don’t make you different.”

9.5/10

Hold on we’re going home-this track screams radio. Neither here or there for me. Production is decent. Lyrics are generic. Normally Drakes relationship lyrics are more perceptive but idk song is catchy. Not too bad.

Favourite line “you’re a good girl and you know it.”

7/10

Connect- underrated song tbh. Opens with the strong line; “isn’t it amazing how you talk this shit and we still lack communication. Vintage fucking Drake. The production allows very easy listening, and urges you to chill out an murmur ‘swangin’ with Drake. Once again nice flow. Not much wrong with this. The last 10 seconds of this song wasn’t needed. It doesn’t get your dick hard like the next track does doe.

Favourite line- “I wish she would learn to love people and use things, not the other way around."
8/10

The Language- yeah yeah. “I don’t know why they been lying but your shit is not expiring.” Amazing first lyrics after the beat has got you vibing for some good lyrics. Drake delivers. As attractive as the sensitive Drake is, the narcissistic Drake in this song is perfect. Hook is awesome. Production is awesome. Rapping is awesome. And they all work with effortless cohesiveness to make a great song.

Favourite line- “She just wanna smoke and fuck I said girl that’s all that we do."
9.5/10

Too much- fell in love with this immediately. Sampha has a beautiful start and his voice intertwines perfectly in Drakes verses. Drakes flow is fucking awesome on this one. Content is pretty good. Wish it went longer.

Favourite lines- “heard once that in dire times when you need a sign that’s when they appear” or
“I guess since my text message didn’t resonate I just stand here.”

9/10

305 to my city- intro is a bit boring to me. I get sick of hearing ‘I get it’. Yes, Drake we know you get women so much better than the rest of us- even strippers. I wait for something to happen in this song but he just keeps empowering strippers with a boring flow. Doesn’t do much for me at all.

Favourite line- “we’re not in Kansas anymore” (I’m not even sure what this means but I like it).
5/10

Pound Cake- GOAT transition from the dude talking to the girl singing. The next 15 seconds gets you keen for Drake. Drake delivers 10/10. He talks perceptively and honestly, basically justifying his success in the game. He worked for it. Similar sentiment to ‘The Motion’ in the way where Drake talks about how people treat you different when successful. Jay-Z delivers a good verse with GOAT sibilance (Jay-Z does S sounds better than anyone ever). Also i can tolerate Jay-Z saying cake. Dope production on this. Great song.

Favourite line- “I hear you talking, say it twice so I know you meant it."
8.5/10

Paris Morton music 2

Drake is a bit defensive in this track. Rightly so, deserves more respect than he gets. Flow is dope as always. Beat is good, works beautiful with the piano to create a poignancy to the track. Longish intro- works. Short but good.

Favourite line- “I’m the big homie, they still be trying to lil bro me dog."
8/10

Come Thru- okay beat. First verse flow is alright. Hook is decent. Second verse is better although I find the lyrics to this song a bit boring. However, halfway through the change up gets my interest back up (“why has it been so long”). Even though he ain’t rapping this is my favourite part of the song. Maybe he could say more things than “you deserve rounds” but whatever.

Favourite line- “who you been crying to, who you been flying to, who’s bed you been sleeping in, someone’s been hiding you. Where have you been?"
7.5/10

All Me- absolute banger. Best is sensational. Hook is amazing. 2chainz feature is…I guess what you want from 2chainz. Pretty fucking good tbh. Great quotables. Drake comes through with great and energy and tbh probably the best flow of the album. Braggadocio as fuck and works great.verses like this are what makes NWTS so different from Take Care. “GOD DAMN!”. Sean fucking delivers with dope flow and even more quotables than 2chainz.

Favourite line- “Should I listen to everyone or myself, cause myself just told myself you the motherfuckin man don’t need know no help.
9/10

The Motion- Incredible start with the base and cello or whatever that other instrument is. Great melody as intro. Love the opening lines “it’s not me and you, it’s not me it’s you”. Verses are short and sharp in this. Once again great fucking flow, hats off Drake. As good as the hook is, this song needs more rapping however. Sampha’s contribution is absolute class and works perfectly. Anyway, fucking love this song. Underrated.

Favourite line- “looking back on it I guess my pride is intact, cause we said no strings attached, and I still got tied up in that."
Or
"Everything that I write is either for her or about her so she’s with me even when I’m here without her."
9/10

As you can see from my rankings I love this album. Tried to be as objective as I could but I’ve got so much enjoyment from it. In my opinion it’s extremely underrated and in top 5 AOTY for 2013. As far as an album it doesn’t feel as complete or flowing as Take Care but deffs a strong pass from Drake. As far as lyrics go, drake doesn’t blow your mind in this album with metaphors and entendre a etc but all in all a pretty good album.

A-

February 18th, 2014

nice review. personally i liked his first two albums better

February 18th, 2014

Take Care >>> TML >>> NWTS

February 18th, 2014

To me Take Care is probably 9.8/10 and TML is like 8/10 and SFG maybe 9ish.

February 18th, 2014

Nice review. I love 305 To My City haha

February 18th, 2014

I read the whole thing and almost totally agree. Tuscan Leather is 11/10. Love that song. All Me as well. Sampha is so nice on this album.

February 18th, 2014

i git it i git it

February 18th, 2014

great review! props. i think NWTS is his best work to date!

February 18th, 2014

i highly disagree with much of your review

February 18th, 2014

@Illest_Son fair enough man. What’s your opinion on the album? Why don’t you like it?

February 18th, 2014

@Watty never said i hated it, just i feel u overrate some songs, and underrate others, and your overall rating i feel is way too overrated

February 18th, 2014

“we’re not in Kansas anymore” (I’m not even sure what this means but I like it).

tfw OP hasn’t seen wizard of oz

February 18th, 2014

I probably listen to this album nearly every day as it’s just an album I can listen to from start to finish. (Same with 1999 and Good Kid, m.A.A.d City)

My favourite songs are; From Time, Too Much and Pound Cake.

Loved your review mate.

February 18th, 2014

Sean fucking delivers with dope flow

What

February 18th, 2014

mfw 305 To My City was my favourite track on the album

February 18th, 2014

Come Thru The GOAT man

OP obviously never put a Order In For A Chicken

February 18th, 2014