Is Hip Hop really dead?

Is Hip Hop dead? Are these new cats bringing it back?

IMO: Yeah, it’s dead. Rap died in 2006. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4RzMEcFOHo Game killed Hip Hop. This was the final track that put Hip Hop in it’s coffin. RIP Hip Hop 1979-2006.

February 19th, 2014
keiser's photo

Nope, it’s not dead.

February 19th, 2014

How did Game kill hip hop when he dropped one of the best albums of the last decade?

February 19th, 2014
Ganoly3's photo

I disagree. Hip-hop is not at all dead, although a new “type” of hip-hop is becoming popular. As seen by Kanye’s Graduation album and EL-P’s work on R.A.P Music and Run The Jewels, hip-hop is slowly heading down a more “alternative” type route. EDM-type beats are becoming more popular, while boom-bap beats are moved aside. I wouldn’t say this “old” type of hip-hop is being completely shunned, because rappers like Joey Bada$$ and B.I.G Krit still use and rely off of these beats and instrumentals heavily. Hip-hop is not at all dead, but is heading down a new path.

February 19th, 2014

@KushedGodStan What???? I’m saying this was the final nail in the coffin, everything after this, SOFT. Obvi The Documentary is one of the GOAT. I’m saying Game literally killed the game. This shit beat any verse ever…

February 19th, 2014

Lol yeah it’s so dead Idk why people like it Techno is the future.

February 19th, 2014

Not even close to being in a comma, 2013 was a great year and 2014 is showing a lot of promise

February 19th, 2014

Well Nas says it so it must be true…

Seriously though 2013 was a great year for hip-hop, had me so excited for the future with loads of great albums being released. Haven’t been so excited for the future of hip hop in ages!

February 19th, 2014

Some great albums 2006 and on

Hell Hath No Fury
Fishscale
Food and Liquor
Graduation
Below the Heavens
Jay Electronica’s shit
The Preface
A Kid Named Cudi
MBDTF
Gas Mask
Section.80
Return of 4eva
Elmatic
Undun
Good Kid MaaD City
12 Reasons To Die

^ And that’s all mainstream shit (barring Gas Mask). There’s still so much more depth as you get even more underground. Nah, hip hop ain’t dead lol.

February 19th, 2014

“Mainstream shit”

shit as in a good thing, not bad way

February 19th, 2014

You deserve two slaps to the face for making this thread.

February 19th, 2014
HMN's photo

Hip Hop died along w/ Tupac and Biggie.

February 19th, 2014

)

February 19th, 2014

@JetsElectronica sorry, I must have misunderstood. Anyway, I still think hip hop is alive and well. 2010-present have been exceptional years for hip hop imo, and we have a lot more to look forward to with crews like SaveMoney, A$AP Mob, TDE and Beast Coast to name a few.

February 19th, 2014

Rap is still Alive but Hip Hop is dead

February 19th, 2014