Our best posts
- Why No One Has Killed Your Favorite Rapper
- Trap Geniuses: Why Selling Rap is like Selling Crack
- The Rapper's Flow Encyclopedia
- The Beastie Chronicles — I
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations
- Verse to Verse: Arcade Fire (via StereoIQ)
- Top 10 Television Theme Songs
- Verse to Verse: Jay-z
- Verse to Verse: Kanye West
- Rap Genius Presents: The Top 100 Rap Songs of 2012
- Scarface: The Holy Bible of Rap Music
- Great Expectations: The RapGenius Guide to Rap Albums in 2013
- NEW VIDEO from the latest verified rapper on Rap Genius: 50 Cent
- NAS INTERVIEW: why Nas wants to explain his own lyrics on Rap Genius
- Showing Our Poetry Love
- Rappers Crying
- Life is Good's Future Impact
- GODFATHERS OF RAP GENIUS: Ben Horowitz Interviews Steve Stoute
- Rap Genius Explanation Competition
- The Top 5 People Rappers Reference
- RapGenius Ranks the First Half of 2012
- Hannibal Buress: First Comedian Verified on Rap Genius
- Bricks to Billboard, Grams to Grammys: Rap Genius' Top 25 Jay-Z Verses
- Who's this new Bada$$ kid???: A UK Perspective
- RGU Lesson Two: Me and the Devil Blues
- A$AP ROCKY INTERVIEW: Maboo v. Nardwuar
- What Does Trust Mean in the Rap Game?
- RGU Lesson One: The Signifyin' Monkey
- Bragging in Hip Hop
- Professor Rapper: 7 Uncommon Black History Facts as Told by Kendrick Lamar
- Rap Genius goes Inside the Lines with Mac Miller
- Rap Genius Interviews B.o.B.
- Interview With B Horowitz: RG Verified Blogger
- Drake Says He's The First Person To Successfully Rap And Sing. Here's why he's wrong.
- An Open Letter from Donald Glover
- Rap Genius Nas interview PREVIEW
- Rap vs. Ronald Reagan
- Are the fans getting more ignorant?
- Operation Free Earl
- Rap Genius of the Month: Big Ghostfase
- The Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011
- Why There Will Never be a 'GOAT' in Hip-Hop: An Extensive Analysis
- 30 Rock: On Gunplay and 2Chainz
- SUBJECT: Jones, Russel Tyrone
- What to Expect from Rap Albums in 2012: The RapGenius Guide to Listening Safely in a Hype-Cycled Universe
- Top 100 Rap Songs of 2011
- The Direction of Hip-Hop
- Machine Gun Kelly Inside the Lines
- R.A THE RUGGED MAN AND EMINEM: BEEF, OR NO BEEF?
- Stereo IQ's Top Albums of 2012
- The Recent History Of Mixtape Trolling
- Is Pete Rock's Disappointment Justified?
- Rappers' Obsession with Jewish Culture
- My Philosophy on Socrates References in Rap
- The Navy Seal Who Killed Osama bin Laden loves That "Red Nation" Track MTV Banned
- Dear Shyne, Ask Yourself: 'What Is A Classic Album?' Ya Bish!
- Five Tips For Unsigned Rappers
- Is The Rap Game Pretentious?
- You Can't Rap, But You Can Make A Song
- WTF is a Basquiat?
- Retrospect for Lu: One Year Later...
- "Triple Beam Dreams": A Reinvigoration of Tradition
- "Six Minutes, Slim Shady, You're On"
- Rap Genius Political Appointees 2012
- Top 10 Lines From Drake's "Take Care"
- Rap Geniuses of the Month: Kembe X / Alex Wiley
- Freak Wit It - The Five Greatest Censored Versions of Hip Hop Songs
- Inside the Rappers Studio: A Witty Nicki Minaj?
- Black Star: Let's ALL Get Down!
- Don’t Become a Rapper If: A Checklist
- Can’t Wait To Be King: If J. Cole Really Were Simba
- All in the Name of P***Y: 7 Women Who Made Fresh Beef Into Poison Meat
- The Many Nicknames of Lil Wayne
- Fuck You; Pay Me (By Not Buying My Music)
- Lupe Fiasco: The Proust of Rap
- Is it right to hate fame?
- Rappers: they're just like us!
- Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor: All the Lyrics Explained
- Which Throne are You Watching?
- 10 Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas For The Hip Hop/Music Lover
- Kill Whitey: Top 10 Corporate Greed Rap Lyrics
- Introducing the Rap Map™ - your guide through the gangsta terrain of the planet
- Hella Based: The Many Faces of Lil B
- The Five Nastiest, Most Explicit Sex Scenes in Rap History
- Big Sean's "Finally Famous"
- I Think I'm Turning Japanese: Rap's Infatuation With Benihana
- That Shit Cray: Top Ten Meme Lines of the Year Thus Far
- Liquid Swords: Rap Genius on the Rap Genius
- Common: "A Letter To The Law" Video Breakdown
- Track-by-Track Guide to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- THE HISTORY OF HIP HOP (as told by Rap Genius)
- Eatbox: rappers eat pussy sometimes, too
- Bad Meets Evil Hell: The Sequel Lyrics
- ALL of Tyler, The Creator's "Bastard" Explicado
- Joey Bada$$ & Kendrick Lamar: This Generation’s Biggie & Pac? : A UK Perspective
- Eminem's Infinite Explained
- MCA Keeps Rocking in the Afterlife
- Tyler the Creator - Goblin
- Tyler gets pizzunked
- Wax: From YouTube To Def Jam
- My Kingdom For A Platinum Football Field
- Wale: The Antithesis of J. Cole
- Belief in Based God
- Notes on "Ready To Die"
- "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop
- Rappers and the Alphabet: A Romance on the D.L.
- Lil Wayne Carter 4 Cover
- The Many Nicknames of Tyler, the Creator
- Tyler, The Creator vs. Woody Allen
- Curren$y "Covert Coup": All The Lyrics Explained
- "These n*ggas be mad -- that's why they stay hating" : Thoughts on V-Nasty
- Rage Against the Machine: Rap, Rock and Revolution
- Curren$y's Weekend At Burnie's Syncs With The Film
- ENTER THE WU: 36 Chambers
- Big Sean is Finally Famous...boiiiii
- Rap Genius LLP: A NEW Legal Service for the Rap Community
- One Love. Elzhi's "Elmatic"
- Rap Genius Watch The Throne Cover
- Raponomics: Top Ten Foreign Currency References Of All Time
- Interview With Jay-Z's Financial Biographer: Rap Genius Editor SnoopZoggyZogg
- Top 25 Rap Albums of 2011
- An Intro to Break Beats
- Excerpt: They call me Jay Electronica
- Al Qaeda / Taliban rap paper plate awards: a discussion of Jihadi references in rap lyrics
- International Underground: Hip Hop as Global Rebel Music
- Rap Genius in the OED
- 2011's Best Twitter Moments
- Frank Ocean Nostalgia Ultra - all the lyrics explained
- We Found Earl!
- Interview: Vince Staples
- Kanye & Pharrell at Design in Miami: Breaking Down Understanding and Rap Genius
- Subliminal Satanic Messages in Jay-Z
- An Open Letter Regarding OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All)
- Crooked I Decodes Crooked I
- Kanye in Paris
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Despot reveals a supergroup and gives his fans a SPECIAL MESSAGE!
- Pass Through, Ghost-like: A Multi Before I Die Mixtape
- A Modest Proposal: Why those white-bread, hella suburban rappers matter
- XV Reasons Why XV's The Next Big Thing
- Most commonly misheard rap lines
- Tyler the Creator: Tron Cat
- Religion in Hip Hop: A RapGenius Overview
- Hip-Hop's TECHNOlogic Revolution
- Wiz Khalifa: probably fucked your bitch
- Nas interview PREVIEW
- Dominic Strauss Khan & Ghostface
- Nas, Illmatic: All the lyrics to every song explained
- Jay-Z: "Rap Is Poetry"
- Cadence & Flow -- A Study in MMG
- Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
- The Classic Yo! MTV Raps Returns, One Night Only!
- Rhyming Words with Themselves, sort of: Top Ten Homophone Rhymes of All Time
- "Tastes like Swag": Cooking with Lil B (Part1: Wonton Soup)
- Adrien Brody Reciting 10 Crack Commandments
- M-m-m-maybach Music
- Lupe Fiasco's LASERS
- Donald Glover Interview: "What the fuck is a Childish Gambino?"
- Bad Meets Sequel?
- Gil Scott Heron - Father of Rap
- On "Blue Slide Park": A Review of Moderate Proportions
- "Well I Guess, This Is My Dissertation" - Notes on Graduation
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Nicki Minaj's Titty
- Jay-Z vs. RapGenius.com: Who's Better at Decoding Jay-Z's Lyrics?
- Hip Hop & Islam: The Sacred Nexus
- Lil Wayne Explains Lil Wayne
- Congressman Tweets Dickpic: Inspired by Kanye? Or Mannie Fresh? Who knows?
- Cole Summer Saga Continues..
- "Yonkers" Video Breakdown
- Lil B "Charlie Sheen" music video breakdown
- Paid tha Caust to be tha Boss: Rappers discussing the Nazis
- Woman's work: transporting drugs for rappers
- Lupe Fiasco's "Words I Never Said" Music Video
- Rap Genius on German MTV!
- Jay-Z on Biting Biggie's Rhymes
- Rappers: Suckered by Obama's Charm, Just Like the Rest of Us...
- RIP Macho Mane - Wrestler, Rapper, Baller
- Curren$y Interview With DDS
- Virginia's Finest: Intalek Interview
- "Empire State of Mind" video breakdown
- Hell: The Sequel
- "Don't Wanna Go Home" lyrics – Jason DeRulo
- Fabolous "I'm Raw": A Close Reading
- I Love Hip-hop, But...Part I
- Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song decoded
- Interview with producer and OFWGKTA affiliate BrandenBeatBoy
- Drake, Thank Me Later: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained
- Dre - Is Detox coming?
- ALL the lyrics to Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Explained
- Fabolous SOUL Tape
- RIP Biggie Smalls (the Rap Genius)
- Rap Genius of the Month: Don Trip
- DIY: Turning the RG shirt into an RG Lady-Tee
- Osama Got Popped..
- Thank You Bouillabased God
- Hip-hop Superbowl: Black and Yellow vs Green and Yellow
- Pusha's "Fear of God" Mixtape: Don't Be Scurred
- V-Nasty Saying The "N-Word"
- StereoIQ Lines of the Week: July 30-August 7
- Eminem, Recovery: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- Psychiatrist Advises Degenerate Geniuses to "Check Your Head"
- All of the Lights: Seizure-tastic
- "Well I guess, this is my dissertation"- Graduation: Decoded
- Hipster Girl Raps "Look At Me Now"
- Lil Wayne and Birdman's Notorious K.I.S.S.
- Jay-Z 101 at Georgetown University
- Young Dr. Dre on TV!
- Drake care...
- Lil B's "I'm Gay"
- Lil B album to be called "I'm Gay"
- 420 NEWS: Kid Cudi quits quitting weed
- #Ambition (cover)
- Freddie Gibbs: Cold Day In Hell Cover
- BEEF: Fox News vs. Jon Stewart (& Common)
- Young Jeezy's TM103: Hustlerz Ambition Review
- Young and Beautiful: The Anomaly That is Lana Del Rey
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/17/2013
- Carter IV Preview: Lil Wayne rolling with a cougar
- Tat My Name On You So I Know It's Real
- Siri vs Biggie
- ALL of the "All of the Lights"
- "Words I Never Said": Lupe Fiasco's Anthem for the Egyptian Revolution?
- Bad Meets Evil on Fuse TV at Bonnaroo
- Eminem vs. Weezy: Who's the King of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative lyrics?
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Cyhi is an Otis Fan
- N***AWATCH 2011: V-Nasty Calls A Black Man "N***a" In A Fight
- Mac Miller "Blue Slide Park" Tracklist
- Q: what will be this year's MOST MEME Halloween costume?
- MMG loves lyrics just like RG
- Wiz & Amber sitting in a tree.. T - A - T - T - O - O - I -N -G
- RUH ROH: Tyler the Creator Arrested (Again)
- Poll: What are the best "fuck songs" / "love songs" in rap music?
- NEW VIDEO: Lupe Fiasco's "Bitch Bad"
- RG RANCH SXSW RECAP (part 2)
- Introducing the Rap Genius Artist in Residence: The Black Cobain Experience
- Lil Wayne on Roman's Revenge 2.0: Only One Verse?
- 13 YEAR OLD KENDRICK LAMAR WISHES HE HAD RAP GENIUS
- TDE on Tour & Too funny
- Wale Attention Deficit: DECODED
- Southern Boys Collide: Big KRIT & Yelawolf collaboration coming soon
- The Game R.E.D. Album Preview
- Rap Hoods - Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Big K.R.I.T. goes live from the underground and gets verified with RapGenius
- Lupe is a rap god but also human
- ras kass keeps it raw
- What is Wayne? The Artist Lives
- Rap Genius Interview: Adam Bradley, editor of the Yale Anthology of Rap
- New Freshness: Urbana Poppin' Champaign (UPC)
- Ab-Soul Drawing Contest on Rap Genius?!
- Monday Morning with the BRKF$T Club
- Rhyme Spotters: Twinkies
- RIP KING CAPITAL STEEZ
- Artist in Residence: The Confessional, Day One
- Common talks LUV on Rap Genius - Live Ustream!
- first ever freestyled verified explanation (don't ask me how)
- Lupe Fiasco Exclusive world premiere: breaking down "bitch bad"
- Ras Kass Behind the Lines with Rap Genius
- Behind the Bars with RiFF RaFF, part 1
- Behind the Bars with Riff Raff, part 2 (prepare to be enlightened)
- Does Bruno Mars have a space in hip hop?
- Slaughterhouse tells RG what they really think about Black Hippy
- Introducing RapMetrics™: The Birth of Statistical Analysis of Rap Lyrics
- LUPE FIASCO EXCLUSIVE world premiere: Explore Lamborghini Angels
- LUPE IS HERE
- BIG BOI NOW VERIFIED ON RG!
- EXCLUSIVE Lyrics and More From Skyzoo's New *A Dream Deferred* -- UPDATED!!
- What Does Common Think About Rap Genius?
- 2012 BET Cyphers Lyrics: Who spit fire?
- Grand Theft Audio: The Music of San Andreas
- The Importance of Music Education
- The Top Ten Verses of 2011
- big boi RG fan contest: are you big's rap genius?
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 1
- MEEK MILL EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE: Maybach curtains
- Ne-Yo is Now verified!
- Dreadlocks. Rasta?
- Blog fam Interview: AFH - Kendrick Lamar "GRIT"
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 2
- big boi exclusive: new outkast next?
- Verified Artist Lushlife is hosting an RG COmpetition
- "Can't Knock The Hustle": How Jay-Z Came Up on Ace of Spades
- "I Got More at Stake Than Philly": Reasonable Doubt decoded
- Joey Bada$$ new single "Unorthodox"
- Woman sleeps with Nas, Jay-Z, and Allen Iverson; reveals penis secrets
- RANCH RECAP: RG at SXSW part 1
- Jay-Z, Eminem, and "Renegade": Who Killed Whom?
- Rap Genius x BET: Video Breakdown of Stalley's "Fountain of Youth"
- Lulu's son shine: What is Jay-Z talking about in "A Star is Born"?
- Rap Genius University: Rhyme Types
- "Tree" - Kid Cudi & Wiz Khalifa
- "Loud Noises" by Bad Meets Evil
- 2Pac on Intellectual Property
- "Everywhere I Go" by 2Pac
- Kendrick Lamar "Hiii Power" Music Video Breakdown
- "She Wanna Have My Baby" by The Game
- "Get it?" Why do rappers explain their own lines in the Age of Rap Genius?
- Interview - Indie Artist "b.a.sick"
- The Fine Art of the Name Drop: From Pac to R.A.
- Obama sings "Let's Stay Together"
- MO Purp please! New music from Alex Wiley, Kembe X and Chance the Rapper
- Either Kanye and Ghostface both sleep head to toe with their respective cousins, or Kanye is biting
- Hip Hop's Hero's Hubris?: RG Introduces Asaad
- Lupe Fiasco (and Big Sean) - "Wait for Me"
- Drake Interview
- "Acura Integurl" by Frank Ocean
- Lyrics to Tyga's Well Done 2 Mixtape
- Norwegian Mass Murderer Hates Hip-hop
- The Bullitts X Jay Electronica MOOVIE
- "I'm On One" lyrics – Tyga
- "Oh My Remix" lyrics – DJ Drama
- Annals of the Rap Orientalist: Talk of Money in Rap
- FREESTYLE BATTLE: Lupe Fiasco vs. Bill O'Reilly
- Odd Future in Germany
- MeLo-X = Sade + The Weeknd
- "Return Of Simba" by J. Cole
- J Cole Breaks Down His Album Title
- "Dreams Money Can Buy" by Drake
- Odd Future Is The New Beatles
- News Genius Lines of the Week, 05/03/2013
- Big K.R.I.T. booed at Highline Ballroom
- Soulja Boy: The Movie (Trailer)
- "Trouble on My Mind" lyrics – Pusha T
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain says farewell
- "I'm On One Freestyle" lyrics – Chamillionaire
- What's Wrong With John Galliano?
- Tyler The Creator Bonds With Tim Westwood
- Oh Mercy Me: New Music & An Artist to Watch
- "Uncle Otis" lyrics – The Game
- Consequence's "Pusha T Diss"
- Frank Ocean on "Watch The Throne".. Good Move? Bad Move?
- Rap Genius Reviews Dreams and Nightmares
- Jetlifer SinnersRemorse Reviews Curren$y's Priest Andretti
- Nardwuar Interviews Casey Veggies
- Kush and Corinthians: Religious Contradictions in Hip Hop
- Lil Wayne Carter IV Release Date
- MJ Faded Way: Perfect
- The 5 degrees of decadence in "Fashion Rap"
- Big Sean Arrested
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain spits a fire freestyle
- Wiz Khalifa x Curren$y x Big Sean = STONER MIXTAPE OF THE CENTURY
- Cam'ron Threatens iTunes
- Goblin L.A. Concert
- Tyler the Creator & Odd Future on Tim Westwood
- Black Hippy Interview
- Watch The Throne (Snippets)
- Birdman Forbes Interview
- Tyler Arrested In L.A.
- Thurnis Haley: Really Into Golf
- NEW MUSIC: "Hotel" by NRK (Nobody Really Knows)
- Watch The Based
- Lupe Fiasco's Long-Awaited Lasers...Cover Art
- The Honors English Rap Genius Challenge - CONTEST RULES
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/10/2013
- In the Zone: Jay-Z and Kanye West Live at Bank Atlantic Center
- EARL IS FREE!
- Rap Genius Editor Teaches Kreayshawn Makeup Techniques
- INSIDE GAME: The Making of Martians vs Goblins
- Rap Genius of the Month: Touré
- Kreayshawn's Ballinest Fan? Drake
- A$AP FERGENSTEIN: on the origins of "A$AP"
- "Watch The Throne" Preview
- Ambition 2: BEHIND THE SCENES
- J Cole on How Jay-Z REALLY Feels About "Cole World: A Sideline Story"
- Game's track-by-track breakdown of the Red Album
- Was Slug the O.G. Drake?
- Skylar Grey x RG x Gigg "Final Warning" Verse Contest
- Prodigy's Book: The Anti-Decoded
- Lil Wayne: "Dear Anne" Lyrics Explicado..
- "Her Room" by Teyana Taylor
- Roots, How I Got Over: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- "Marvins Room" by Drake
- "Ronald Reagan Era" by Kendrick Lamar
- RIP Big Pun
- Detox - July 26 Release Date?
- Honors English Lyrics Challenge Coming Soon - Sneak Peak
- TV Night at Cam's
- Artist in Residence: Making of "The Recipe" freestyle w/ Black Cobain
Thank god the world didn’t end on December 21, because I want an encore. 2012 has been a standout year in rap music. We saw the rise of many rap posses, such as Pro Era, the A$AP Mob, and Black Hippy. Not to mention, the site itself has grown tremendously in popularity and is catching rap references (shouts to Ab-Soul). And we’ve collected numerous big name rappers to break down their own lines.
Near the end of November, I opened a poll for the Rap Genius community to vote which songs were the cream of the crop in the past year. Since then, the votes have been tallied and the results are here (also in a playlist here).
Before we begin, the audience should know this is not my personal list. I would have replaced and switched some of the tracks. That being said, I stand by this list and the choice of the community. So without further adieu…
100 “No Worries” — Lil Wayne
99 “Neato” — Three Loco
98 “Pop That” — French Montana ft. Drake, Rick Ross, & Lil Wayne
97 “Cold” — Kanye West
96 “Flash Gordon” — Roc Marciano
95 “Sixteen” — Rick Ross ft. Andre 3000
94 “LVL” — ASAP Rocky
93 “Walk in Wit the Mo” — Freddie Gibbs ft. Dom Kennedy
92 “Big Spender” — Theophilus London ft. ASAP Rocky
91 “Violet” — The Coup
90 “Thrift Shop” — Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
89 “A Man” — Blu
88 “Sorry” — T.I. ft. Andre 3000
87 “It’s Over” — Murs & 9th Wonder
86 “100” — Big Sean ft. Royce Da 5'9" & Kendrick Lamar
85 “Dead Presidents III” — Logic
84 “Mob Ties” — Nacho Picasso
83 “My Type Of Party Remix” — Dom Kennedy ft. Tyga & Juicy J
82 “My Life” — 50 Cent ft. Eminem & Adam Levine
81 “The Boys” — Nicki Minaj ft. Cassie
80 “The Formula” — Apollo Brown & OC
79 “Get Free Coleworld” — J. Cole
78 “M.I.A.” — Omarion & Wale
77 “Burn” — Meek Mill ft. Big Sean
76 “Same Damn Time” — Future
75 “Tan Leather” — Action Bronson
74 “Goldie” — ASAP Rocky
73 “Exodus 23:1” — Pusha T ft. The-Dream
72 “No Introduction” — Nas
71 “Sushi” — Ras Kass
70 “Hold Me Back” — Rick Ross
69 “Cleaning Out My Closet” — Angel Haze
68 “R.A.P. Music” — Killer Mike
67 “No Lie” — 2Chainz ft. Drake
66 “Remember You” — Wiz Khalifa ft. The Weeknd
65 “Edge Of Destruction” — Machine Gun Kelly ft. Tech N9ne & Twista
64 “The Fever (Aye Aye)” — Death Grips
63 “‘64 Impala” — Murs & Fashawn
62 “She Said OK” — Big Boi ft. Theophilus London & Tre Luce
61 “Can’t Trust Em (Remix)” — Dizzy Wright
60 “9-24-11” — Action Bronson
59 “Santino” — Loaded Lux
58 “We Ain’t Them” — Childish Gambino
57 “24k of Gold” — Big Sean ft. J. Cole
56 “To The World” — Kanye West ft. R. Kelly & Teyana Taylor
55 “I’m Different” — 2Chainz
54 “Respect Game or Expect Flames” — Casual ft. Del The Funky Homosapien
53 “Tell a Friend” — Freddie Gibbs ft. Curren$y
52 “Hammer Dance” — Slaughterhouse
51 “Push Thru” — Talib Kweli ft. Curren$y & Kedrick Lamar
50 “3 Kings” — Rick Ross ft. Dr. Dre & Jay-Z
49 “Mighty Morphin Foreskin” — Captain Murphy
48 “No Idols” — Domo Genesis ft. Tyler The Creator
47 “The Symbol” — Action Bronson
46 “BBQ Sauce” — Sean Price ft. Pharoahe Monch
45 “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” — Big KRIT
44 “Miss America” — J. Cole
43 “Our House” — Slaughterhouse
42 “Same Love” — Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
41 “Oldie” — Odd Future
40 “My Hoes They Do Drugs” — King L ft. Pusha T & Juicy J
39 “Chum” — Earl Sweatshirt
38 “Pain” — Pusha T ft. Future
37 “Celebration (Remix)” — Game ft. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
36 “Iron Age” — KA ft. Roc Marciano
35 “Bandz A Make Her Dance (Remix)” — Juicy J ft. Lil Wayne & 2Chainz
34 “Swimming Pools” — Kendrick Lamar
33 “Bye Baby” — Nas
32 “Zero Dark Thirty” — Aesop Rock
31 “Boobie Miles” — Big KRIT
30 “Crack Spot Stories” — Wu Block ft. Raekwon & Jadakiss
29 “Long.Live.A$AP” — ASAP Rocky
28 “Lamborghini Angels” — Lupe Fiasco
27 “I Don’t Like (Remix)” — Kanye West ft. Chief Keef, Pusha T, Big Sean, & Jadakiss
26 “I’m On 2.0” — Trae Tha Truth ft. Big KRIT, Jadakiss, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, BoB, Tyga, Gudda Gudda, Bun B & Mark Morrison
25 “Goodbye” — Slaughterhouse
The hip hop supergroup works together on a deep track dedicated to ones they’ve lost, and even though Royce doesn’t make an appearance, it holds up.
24 “Reagan” — Killer Mike
Killer Mike’s “Reagan” is one of the top songs of the year without a doubt. Not to mention, RAP Music was an outstanding album.
23 “Just What I Am” — Kid Cudi ft. King Chip
Cudi makes his return with King Chip with a joint about marijuana dependency. Even though for a while he tried to stay clean, Cudi makes dope music with weed in his system, so we aren’t complaining.
22 “Black Lip Bastard (Remix)” — Ab-Soul ft. Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock & Schoolboy Q
Black Hippy had a huge year, with Schoolboy, Soulo, and K. Dot all dropping major releases. This track off Ab-Soul’s Control System only shows why people love to listen to these guys.
21 “Traumatized” — Meek Mill
Say what you want about his rhymes, but Meek Mill has more passion then a lot of artists in the game. Listen to “Traumatized” and you can truly respect his work.
20 “Clique” — Kanye West ft. Big Sean & Jay-Z
Clique.. clique.. clique.. clique.. clique..
This GOOD Music and Roc Nation collab brought together some of the biggest names in music for a song you hear everywhere.
19 “Loco-Motive” — Nas
To honor his old head fans, Nas hooked up with Large Professor and put out a mean track. Life Is Good ended being one of the best cuts of the year and this was a standout record.
18 “White Dress” — Kanye West
Kanye always discussed how much RZA’s production influenced his own. On this track, it was met full circle, as ‘Ye spits some bars that had his College Dropout fans wanting more.
17 “The Full Retard” — El-P
El-P was always known for his dope production. But his album Cancer 4 Cure was met with major critical acclaim and took a lot of listeners by surprise and “The Full Retard” is easily one of the hottest tracks of 2012.
16 “The Jig Is Up (Dump'n)” — J. Cole & Kendrick Lamar
These two promised us a collaborative album in the next year, and after hearing this track, we are praying they keep that promise.
15 “Bitch Bad” — Lupe Fiasco
Lupe Fiasco’s ode to honoring women was met with much acclaim here at Rap Genius. Think the song is deep? Watch the video, as Lupe skewers ideas such as black face actors and minstrels.
14 “Sing About Me, I’m Dying of Thirst” — Kendrick Lamar
Kendrick’s song dedicated to two of his listeners, one of which is deceased, the other being Keisha’s sister (of “Keisha’s Song”). Then after the beat switches up Kendrick’s flow is dangerous.
13 “Mercy” — Kanye West ft. Big Sean, Pusha T & 2Chainz
“Mercy” is a song that still sounds just as mean as the day it dropped. Good Friday 2012 hyped everyone up for GOOD Music’s debut album with one of the best and most catchy songs of the year. Even if you didn’t completely understand what that strange dancehall voice sample was saying.
12 “Elimination Chamber” — Domo Genesis ft. Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples & Action Bronson
Four of the most dope lyricists came together with some of their best work on this track. To have all that backed by an Alchemist beat is asking for an amazing record.
11 “Waves” — Joey Bada$$
Pro Era and ring leader Joey Bada$$ came right out of Brooklyn with some of the nicest sound flows. “Waves” is one song that really shows why Joey is somebody you need to listen to.
10 “The Book Of Soul” — Ab-Soul
Easily one of the most meaningful songs released in the last year, “Book Of Soul” is Ab-Soul basically spilling his heart on a track. Not many rappers do something like this so successfully. You can almost feel Soulo’s pain.
9 “Hands on the Wheel” — Schoolboy Q ft. ASAP Rocky
This East Coast meets West Coast collab always sounds good. Rocky and Q have put out some mean tracks before, and with “Hands On The Wheel,” we ask that they please put out more.
8 “Survival Tactics” — Joey Bada$$ ft. Capital Steez
Rest in peace to the late Capital Steez. If you’ve never heard him, listen to our number eight track of the year. You’ll realize how much talent the game has lost with Cap’s death.
7 “Around My Way” — Lupe Fiasco
Even though Pete Rock wouldn’t rate it as high on his top of 2012 list, we found Lupe Fiasco’s “Around My Way” a strong lyrical display paired with the political awareness and social commentary he was praised for in the past.
6 “M.A.A.d City” — Kendrick Lamar ft. MC Eiht
Kendrick brought back veteran emcee MC Eiht on one of Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City’s titular tracks. One of the most intense songs of the year, and another Kendrick pick, there’s no doubt KDot came strong in 2012.
5 “Hip Hop” — DJ Khaled ft. DJ Premier, Scarface & Nas
DJ Khaled always finds a way to unite the biggest stars in today’s hip hop for mean bangers. But he took it back for this track and recruited Premo. With Scarface and Nasty Nas comparing music to a woman, you have one of the best cuts of the year.
4 “Terrorist Threats” — Ab-Soul ft. Danny Brown & Jhene Aiko
Some people say they don’t feel Danny Brown, and some people say they don’t feel Ab-Soul. But if you like hip hop, you can’t deny that these two came together for one of the dopest tracks of 2012.
3 “Hardknock” — Joey Bada$$ ft. CJ Fly
This song epitomizes the amount of talent in the Pro Era posse. Joey goes in. CJ Fly goes in. This track and these two earn the title of our number three song of the year.
2 “New God Flow” — Kanye West ft. Pusha T & Ghostface Killah
Pusha T admitted to taking some shots in one of the meanest verses dropped this year. Then Kanye rolled through and owned his verse, and made this song a hard, in-your-face, no frills hip hop track. And after Pusha and ‘Ye destroyed their parts, Ghostface anchors it. If you don’t think “New God Flow” is one of the best songs this year and in recent memory, then you might want to check yourself.
The number one spot belongs to…
- “Money Trees” — Kendrick Lamar ft. Jay Rock
Kendrick Lamar dropped one of the best albums in music this year. He also helped put his Black Hippy crew on the map. “Money Trees” is a smart, strong outing by the new West Coast idol. Jay Rock also spits with ferocity and together they have the top rap record of 2012. The Rap Genius community has always loved KDot. And what’s not to love.
Well, there you have it folks. The people of Rap Genius have spoken. Obviously, Kendrick’s outreach has only grown since last year when he had numerous songs on the countdown. Pay attention to the breakout names on this list too, as they could very well be the future of hip hop. Shouts for helping go out to Nappy, J-Franks, Klono, NoSki, BBDS, the homie Lemon, and Maboo the Don.
Love it? Hate it? Feel free to comment below or let me know and hit me on Twitter: @JuicyJC_