Our best posts
- Why No One Has Killed Your Favorite Rapper
- Trap Geniuses: Why Selling Rap is like Selling Crack
- The Rapper's Flow Encyclopedia
- The Beastie Chronicles — I
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations
- Verse to Verse: Arcade Fire (via StereoIQ)
- Top 10 Television Theme Songs
- Verse to Verse: Jay-z
- Verse to Verse: Kanye West
- Rap Genius Presents: The Top 100 Rap Songs of 2012
- Scarface: The Holy Bible of Rap Music
- Great Expectations: The RapGenius Guide to Rap Albums in 2013
- NEW VIDEO from the latest verified rapper on Rap Genius: 50 Cent
- NAS INTERVIEW: why Nas wants to explain his own lyrics on Rap Genius
- Showing Our Poetry Love
- Rappers Crying
- Life is Good's Future Impact
- GODFATHERS OF RAP GENIUS: Ben Horowitz Interviews Steve Stoute
- Rap Genius Explanation Competition
- The Top 5 People Rappers Reference
- RapGenius Ranks the First Half of 2012
- Hannibal Buress: First Comedian Verified on Rap Genius
- Bricks to Billboard, Grams to Grammys: Rap Genius' Top 25 Jay-Z Verses
- Who's this new Bada$$ kid???: A UK Perspective
- RGU Lesson Two: Me and the Devil Blues
- A$AP ROCKY INTERVIEW: Maboo v. Nardwuar
- What Does Trust Mean in the Rap Game?
- RGU Lesson One: The Signifyin' Monkey
- Bragging in Hip Hop
- Professor Rapper: 7 Uncommon Black History Facts as Told by Kendrick Lamar
- Rap Genius goes Inside the Lines with Mac Miller
- Rap Genius Interviews B.o.B.
- Interview With B Horowitz: RG Verified Blogger
- Drake Says He's The First Person To Successfully Rap And Sing. Here's why he's wrong.
- An Open Letter from Donald Glover
- Rap Genius Nas interview PREVIEW
- Rap vs. Ronald Reagan
- Are the fans getting more ignorant?
- Operation Free Earl
- Rap Genius of the Month: Big Ghostfase
- The Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011
- Why There Will Never be a 'GOAT' in Hip-Hop: An Extensive Analysis
- 30 Rock: On Gunplay and 2Chainz
- SUBJECT: Jones, Russel Tyrone
- What to Expect from Rap Albums in 2012: The RapGenius Guide to Listening Safely in a Hype-Cycled Universe
- Top 100 Rap Songs of 2011
- The Direction of Hip-Hop
- Machine Gun Kelly Inside the Lines
- R.A THE RUGGED MAN AND EMINEM: BEEF, OR NO BEEF?
- Stereo IQ's Top Albums of 2012
- The Recent History Of Mixtape Trolling
- Is Pete Rock's Disappointment Justified?
- Rappers' Obsession with Jewish Culture
- My Philosophy on Socrates References in Rap
- The Navy Seal Who Killed Osama bin Laden loves That "Red Nation" Track MTV Banned
- Dear Shyne, Ask Yourself: 'What Is A Classic Album?' Ya Bish!
- Five Tips For Unsigned Rappers
- Is The Rap Game Pretentious?
- You Can't Rap, But You Can Make A Song
- WTF is a Basquiat?
- Retrospect for Lu: One Year Later...
- "Triple Beam Dreams": A Reinvigoration of Tradition
- "Six Minutes, Slim Shady, You're On"
- Rap Genius Political Appointees 2012
- Top 10 Lines From Drake's "Take Care"
- Rap Geniuses of the Month: Kembe X / Alex Wiley
- Freak Wit It - The Five Greatest Censored Versions of Hip Hop Songs
- Inside the Rappers Studio: A Witty Nicki Minaj?
- Black Star: Let's ALL Get Down!
- Don’t Become a Rapper If: A Checklist
- Can’t Wait To Be King: If J. Cole Really Were Simba
- All in the Name of P***Y: 7 Women Who Made Fresh Beef Into Poison Meat
- The Many Nicknames of Lil Wayne
- Fuck You; Pay Me (By Not Buying My Music)
- Lupe Fiasco: The Proust of Rap
- Is it right to hate fame?
- Rappers: they're just like us!
- Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor: All the Lyrics Explained
- Which Throne are You Watching?
- 10 Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas For The Hip Hop/Music Lover
- Kill Whitey: Top 10 Corporate Greed Rap Lyrics
- Introducing the Rap Map™ - your guide through the gangsta terrain of the planet
- Hella Based: The Many Faces of Lil B
- The Five Nastiest, Most Explicit Sex Scenes in Rap History
- Big Sean's "Finally Famous"
- I Think I'm Turning Japanese: Rap's Infatuation With Benihana
- That Shit Cray: Top Ten Meme Lines of the Year Thus Far
- Liquid Swords: Rap Genius on the Rap Genius
- Common: "A Letter To The Law" Video Breakdown
- Track-by-Track Guide to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- THE HISTORY OF HIP HOP (as told by Rap Genius)
- Eatbox: rappers eat pussy sometimes, too
- Bad Meets Evil Hell: The Sequel Lyrics
- ALL of Tyler, The Creator's "Bastard" Explicado
- Joey Bada$$ & Kendrick Lamar: This Generation’s Biggie & Pac? : A UK Perspective
- Eminem's Infinite Explained
- MCA Keeps Rocking in the Afterlife
- Tyler the Creator - Goblin
- Tyler gets pizzunked
- Wax: From YouTube To Def Jam
- My Kingdom For A Platinum Football Field
- Wale: The Antithesis of J. Cole
- Belief in Based God
- Notes on "Ready To Die"
- "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop
- Rappers and the Alphabet: A Romance on the D.L.
- Lil Wayne Carter 4 Cover
- The Many Nicknames of Tyler, the Creator
- Tyler, The Creator vs. Woody Allen
- Curren$y "Covert Coup": All The Lyrics Explained
- "These n*ggas be mad -- that's why they stay hating" : Thoughts on V-Nasty
- Rage Against the Machine: Rap, Rock and Revolution
- Curren$y's Weekend At Burnie's Syncs With The Film
- ENTER THE WU: 36 Chambers
- Big Sean is Finally Famous...boiiiii
- Rap Genius LLP: A NEW Legal Service for the Rap Community
- One Love. Elzhi's "Elmatic"
- Rap Genius Watch The Throne Cover
- Raponomics: Top Ten Foreign Currency References Of All Time
- Interview With Jay-Z's Financial Biographer: Rap Genius Editor SnoopZoggyZogg
- Top 25 Rap Albums of 2011
- An Intro to Break Beats
- Excerpt: They call me Jay Electronica
- Al Qaeda / Taliban rap paper plate awards: a discussion of Jihadi references in rap lyrics
- International Underground: Hip Hop as Global Rebel Music
- Rap Genius in the OED
- 2011's Best Twitter Moments
- Frank Ocean Nostalgia Ultra - all the lyrics explained
- We Found Earl!
- Interview: Vince Staples
- Kanye & Pharrell at Design in Miami: Breaking Down Understanding and Rap Genius
- Subliminal Satanic Messages in Jay-Z
- An Open Letter Regarding OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All)
- Crooked I Decodes Crooked I
- Kanye in Paris
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Despot reveals a supergroup and gives his fans a SPECIAL MESSAGE!
- Pass Through, Ghost-like: A Multi Before I Die Mixtape
- A Modest Proposal: Why those white-bread, hella suburban rappers matter
- XV Reasons Why XV's The Next Big Thing
- Most commonly misheard rap lines
- Tyler the Creator: Tron Cat
- Religion in Hip Hop: A RapGenius Overview
- Hip-Hop's TECHNOlogic Revolution
- Wiz Khalifa: probably fucked your bitch
- Nas interview PREVIEW
- Dominic Strauss Khan & Ghostface
- Nas, Illmatic: All the lyrics to every song explained
- Jay-Z: "Rap Is Poetry"
- Cadence & Flow -- A Study in MMG
- Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
- The Classic Yo! MTV Raps Returns, One Night Only!
- Rhyming Words with Themselves, sort of: Top Ten Homophone Rhymes of All Time
- "Tastes like Swag": Cooking with Lil B (Part1: Wonton Soup)
- Adrien Brody Reciting 10 Crack Commandments
- M-m-m-maybach Music
- Lupe Fiasco's LASERS
- Donald Glover Interview: "What the fuck is a Childish Gambino?"
- Bad Meets Sequel?
- Gil Scott Heron - Father of Rap
- On "Blue Slide Park": A Review of Moderate Proportions
- "Well I Guess, This Is My Dissertation" - Notes on Graduation
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Nicki Minaj's Titty
- Jay-Z vs. RapGenius.com: Who's Better at Decoding Jay-Z's Lyrics?
- Hip Hop & Islam: The Sacred Nexus
- Lil Wayne Explains Lil Wayne
- Congressman Tweets Dickpic: Inspired by Kanye? Or Mannie Fresh? Who knows?
- Cole Summer Saga Continues..
- "Yonkers" Video Breakdown
- Lil B "Charlie Sheen" music video breakdown
- Paid tha Caust to be tha Boss: Rappers discussing the Nazis
- Woman's work: transporting drugs for rappers
- Lupe Fiasco's "Words I Never Said" Music Video
- Rap Genius on German MTV!
- Jay-Z on Biting Biggie's Rhymes
- Rappers: Suckered by Obama's Charm, Just Like the Rest of Us...
- RIP Macho Mane - Wrestler, Rapper, Baller
- Curren$y Interview With DDS
- Virginia's Finest: Intalek Interview
- "Empire State of Mind" video breakdown
- Hell: The Sequel
- "Don't Wanna Go Home" lyrics – Jason DeRulo
- Fabolous "I'm Raw": A Close Reading
- I Love Hip-hop, But...Part I
- Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song decoded
- Interview with producer and OFWGKTA affiliate BrandenBeatBoy
- Drake, Thank Me Later: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained
- Dre - Is Detox coming?
- ALL the lyrics to Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Explained
- Fabolous SOUL Tape
- RIP Biggie Smalls (the Rap Genius)
- Rap Genius of the Month: Don Trip
- DIY: Turning the RG shirt into an RG Lady-Tee
- Osama Got Popped..
- Thank You Bouillabased God
- Hip-hop Superbowl: Black and Yellow vs Green and Yellow
- Pusha's "Fear of God" Mixtape: Don't Be Scurred
- V-Nasty Saying The "N-Word"
- StereoIQ Lines of the Week: July 30-August 7
- Eminem, Recovery: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- Psychiatrist Advises Degenerate Geniuses to "Check Your Head"
- All of the Lights: Seizure-tastic
- "Well I guess, this is my dissertation"- Graduation: Decoded
- Hipster Girl Raps "Look At Me Now"
- Lil Wayne and Birdman's Notorious K.I.S.S.
- Jay-Z 101 at Georgetown University
- Young Dr. Dre on TV!
- Drake care...
- Lil B's "I'm Gay"
- Lil B album to be called "I'm Gay"
- 420 NEWS: Kid Cudi quits quitting weed
- #Ambition (cover)
- Freddie Gibbs: Cold Day In Hell Cover
- BEEF: Fox News vs. Jon Stewart (& Common)
- Young Jeezy's TM103: Hustlerz Ambition Review
- Young and Beautiful: The Anomaly That is Lana Del Rey
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/17/2013
- Carter IV Preview: Lil Wayne rolling with a cougar
- Tat My Name On You So I Know It's Real
- Siri vs Biggie
- ALL of the "All of the Lights"
- "Words I Never Said": Lupe Fiasco's Anthem for the Egyptian Revolution?
- Bad Meets Evil on Fuse TV at Bonnaroo
- Eminem vs. Weezy: Who's the King of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative lyrics?
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Cyhi is an Otis Fan
- N***AWATCH 2011: V-Nasty Calls A Black Man "N***a" In A Fight
- Mac Miller "Blue Slide Park" Tracklist
- Q: what will be this year's MOST MEME Halloween costume?
- MMG loves lyrics just like RG
- Wiz & Amber sitting in a tree.. T - A - T - T - O - O - I -N -G
- RUH ROH: Tyler the Creator Arrested (Again)
- Poll: What are the best "fuck songs" / "love songs" in rap music?
- NEW VIDEO: Lupe Fiasco's "Bitch Bad"
- RG RANCH SXSW RECAP (part 2)
- Introducing the Rap Genius Artist in Residence: The Black Cobain Experience
- Lil Wayne on Roman's Revenge 2.0: Only One Verse?
- 13 YEAR OLD KENDRICK LAMAR WISHES HE HAD RAP GENIUS
- TDE on Tour & Too funny
- Wale Attention Deficit: DECODED
- Southern Boys Collide: Big KRIT & Yelawolf collaboration coming soon
- The Game R.E.D. Album Preview
- Rap Hoods - Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Big K.R.I.T. goes live from the underground and gets verified with RapGenius
- Lupe is a rap god but also human
- ras kass keeps it raw
- What is Wayne? The Artist Lives
- Rap Genius Interview: Adam Bradley, editor of the Yale Anthology of Rap
- New Freshness: Urbana Poppin' Champaign (UPC)
- Ab-Soul Drawing Contest on Rap Genius?!
- Monday Morning with the BRKF$T Club
- Rhyme Spotters: Twinkies
- RIP KING CAPITAL STEEZ
- Artist in Residence: The Confessional, Day One
- Common talks LUV on Rap Genius - Live Ustream!
- first ever freestyled verified explanation (don't ask me how)
- Lupe Fiasco Exclusive world premiere: breaking down "bitch bad"
- Ras Kass Behind the Lines with Rap Genius
- Behind the Bars with RiFF RaFF, part 1
- Behind the Bars with Riff Raff, part 2 (prepare to be enlightened)
- Does Bruno Mars have a space in hip hop?
- Slaughterhouse tells RG what they really think about Black Hippy
- Introducing RapMetrics™: The Birth of Statistical Analysis of Rap Lyrics
- LUPE FIASCO EXCLUSIVE world premiere: Explore Lamborghini Angels
- LUPE IS HERE
- BIG BOI NOW VERIFIED ON RG!
- EXCLUSIVE Lyrics and More From Skyzoo's New *A Dream Deferred* -- UPDATED!!
- What Does Common Think About Rap Genius?
- 2012 BET Cyphers Lyrics: Who spit fire?
- Grand Theft Audio: The Music of San Andreas
- The Importance of Music Education
- The Top Ten Verses of 2011
- big boi RG fan contest: are you big's rap genius?
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 1
- MEEK MILL EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE: Maybach curtains
- Ne-Yo is Now verified!
- Dreadlocks. Rasta?
- Blog fam Interview: AFH - Kendrick Lamar "GRIT"
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 2
- big boi exclusive: new outkast next?
- Verified Artist Lushlife is hosting an RG COmpetition
- "Can't Knock The Hustle": How Jay-Z Came Up on Ace of Spades
- "I Got More at Stake Than Philly": Reasonable Doubt decoded
- Joey Bada$$ new single "Unorthodox"
- Woman sleeps with Nas, Jay-Z, and Allen Iverson; reveals penis secrets
- RANCH RECAP: RG at SXSW part 1
- Jay-Z, Eminem, and "Renegade": Who Killed Whom?
- Rap Genius x BET: Video Breakdown of Stalley's "Fountain of Youth"
- Lulu's son shine: What is Jay-Z talking about in "A Star is Born"?
- Rap Genius University: Rhyme Types
- "Tree" - Kid Cudi & Wiz Khalifa
- "Loud Noises" by Bad Meets Evil
- 2Pac on Intellectual Property
- "Everywhere I Go" by 2Pac
- Kendrick Lamar "Hiii Power" Music Video Breakdown
- "She Wanna Have My Baby" by The Game
- "Get it?" Why do rappers explain their own lines in the Age of Rap Genius?
- Interview - Indie Artist "b.a.sick"
- The Fine Art of the Name Drop: From Pac to R.A.
- Obama sings "Let's Stay Together"
- MO Purp please! New music from Alex Wiley, Kembe X and Chance the Rapper
- Either Kanye and Ghostface both sleep head to toe with their respective cousins, or Kanye is biting
- Hip Hop's Hero's Hubris?: RG Introduces Asaad
- Lupe Fiasco (and Big Sean) - "Wait for Me"
- Drake Interview
- "Acura Integurl" by Frank Ocean
- Lyrics to Tyga's Well Done 2 Mixtape
- Norwegian Mass Murderer Hates Hip-hop
- The Bullitts X Jay Electronica MOOVIE
- "I'm On One" lyrics – Tyga
- "Oh My Remix" lyrics – DJ Drama
- Annals of the Rap Orientalist: Talk of Money in Rap
- FREESTYLE BATTLE: Lupe Fiasco vs. Bill O'Reilly
- Odd Future in Germany
- MeLo-X = Sade + The Weeknd
- "Return Of Simba" by J. Cole
- J Cole Breaks Down His Album Title
- "Dreams Money Can Buy" by Drake
- Odd Future Is The New Beatles
- News Genius Lines of the Week, 05/03/2013
- Big K.R.I.T. booed at Highline Ballroom
- Soulja Boy: The Movie (Trailer)
- "Trouble on My Mind" lyrics – Pusha T
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain says farewell
- "I'm On One Freestyle" lyrics – Chamillionaire
- What's Wrong With John Galliano?
- Tyler The Creator Bonds With Tim Westwood
- Oh Mercy Me: New Music & An Artist to Watch
- "Uncle Otis" lyrics – The Game
- Consequence's "Pusha T Diss"
- Frank Ocean on "Watch The Throne".. Good Move? Bad Move?
- Rap Genius Reviews Dreams and Nightmares
- Jetlifer SinnersRemorse Reviews Curren$y's Priest Andretti
- Nardwuar Interviews Casey Veggies
- Kush and Corinthians: Religious Contradictions in Hip Hop
- Lil Wayne Carter IV Release Date
- MJ Faded Way: Perfect
- The 5 degrees of decadence in "Fashion Rap"
- Big Sean Arrested
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain spits a fire freestyle
- Wiz Khalifa x Curren$y x Big Sean = STONER MIXTAPE OF THE CENTURY
- Cam'ron Threatens iTunes
- Goblin L.A. Concert
- Tyler the Creator & Odd Future on Tim Westwood
- Black Hippy Interview
- Watch The Throne (Snippets)
- Birdman Forbes Interview
- Tyler Arrested In L.A.
- Thurnis Haley: Really Into Golf
- NEW MUSIC: "Hotel" by NRK (Nobody Really Knows)
- Watch The Based
- Lupe Fiasco's Long-Awaited Lasers...Cover Art
- The Honors English Rap Genius Challenge - CONTEST RULES
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/10/2013
- In the Zone: Jay-Z and Kanye West Live at Bank Atlantic Center
- EARL IS FREE!
- Rap Genius Editor Teaches Kreayshawn Makeup Techniques
- INSIDE GAME: The Making of Martians vs Goblins
- Rap Genius of the Month: Touré
- Kreayshawn's Ballinest Fan? Drake
- A$AP FERGENSTEIN: on the origins of "A$AP"
- "Watch The Throne" Preview
- Ambition 2: BEHIND THE SCENES
- J Cole on How Jay-Z REALLY Feels About "Cole World: A Sideline Story"
- Game's track-by-track breakdown of the Red Album
- Was Slug the O.G. Drake?
- Skylar Grey x RG x Gigg "Final Warning" Verse Contest
- Prodigy's Book: The Anti-Decoded
- Lil Wayne: "Dear Anne" Lyrics Explicado..
- "Her Room" by Teyana Taylor
- Roots, How I Got Over: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- "Marvins Room" by Drake
- "Ronald Reagan Era" by Kendrick Lamar
- RIP Big Pun
- Detox - July 26 Release Date?
- Honors English Lyrics Challenge Coming Soon - Sneak Peak
- TV Night at Cam's
- Artist in Residence: Making of "The Recipe" freestyle w/ Black Cobain
Actavis – Actavis to Acquire Warner Chilcott to Create Premier $11 Billion Revenue Global Specialty Pharmaceutical Company Lyrics
A$AP Rocky – Quick Ain’t Fair (Adidas Commercial) Lyrics
Barclays Premier League – Final League Table 2012/13 Lyrics
Barclays Premier League – Stats and records 2012/13 Lyrics
Beyoncé – Apology to Fans Lyrics
Blood, Sweat & Tears – Spinning Wheel Lyrics
The Breeders – Cannonball Lyrics
Bulgarian Prosecutor of the Public – Discovery of 350,000 Fraudulent Ballots in Sofia, 05/10/2013 Lyrics
Carl Sherron – The 11th Channel Lyrics
Childish Gambino – Body So Tight Lyrics
Darude – Sandstorm Lyrics
David Beckham – Retirement Announcement Lyrics
D-Dash – From The Bottom Lyrics
DeLorean – All Eyez on Me Lyrics
DeVante – Dollar & A Dream Lyrics
Donovan – Atlantis Lyrics
Eddie Winslow – Baby Lyrics
Emmelie de Forest – Only Teardrops Lyrics
Eve – All Night Lyrics
Eve – Zero Below Lyrics
Fayçal – Requiem pour encre fine Lyrics
French Montana – We Go Wherever We Want Lyrics
Gilbere Forte – Nolita Lyrics
Hot Chocolate – You Sexy Thing Lyrics
Jadakiss – Count It Lyrics
Jeff Weiss – 2pac: Victory Is Merely a Matter of Making it to the Golden Land Lyrics
Jon Connor – Rise Up Lyrics
Jonwayne – Numbers On The Hoard Lyrics
Julian Malone – IIOVIIIO Lyrics
Kanye West – Awesome (Freestyle) Roseland Ballroom Lyrics
Kanye West – Black Skinhead Lyrics
Kanye West – New Slaves Lyrics
Kanye West – Rant at Adult Swim Upfront Lyrics
Kanye West – Yeezy Season Lyrics
Lana Del Rey – Queen Of Disaster Lyrics
LCD Soundsystem – Drunk Girls Lyrics
The Lonely Island – I Fucked My Aunt Lyrics
Lupe Fiasco – Philosophy Sunday Lyrics
Lupe Fiasco – Philosophy Sunday (Free Speech) Lyrics
MJS – Off the Pole Lyrics
National Transit Safety Board – Countermeasures to Reduce Alcohol-Impaired Driving Lyrics
Oregon Health & Science University – Scientists Report First Success in Cloning Human Stem Cells Lyrics
Peter Frampton – Show Me The Way Lyrics
Queens of the Stone Age – Kalopsia Lyrics
Rep. Trey Radel (FL-19) – Comments on Rap Lyrics
Rio Ferdinand – Retirement from Internationals Lyrics
RKZ – Namaste Lyrics
Russian Federal Security Service – Russian FSB Detains Accused Member of CIA Lyrics
Sepp Blatter – Lessons have not been learned Lyrics
Smallpools – Dreaming Lyrics
Solange Knowles – Looks Good With Trouble (Remix) Lyrics
Statik Selektah – 21 & Over Lyrics
Vice President Biden – Response to Miles (7 YO) from Wisconsin about Guns Lyrics
Vic Mensa – Did It B4 Lyrics
Victoria Beckham – A Mind Of Its Own Lyrics
Wale – Love Hate Thing Lyrics
Wax Fang – Majestic Lyrics
Weekend – End Times Lyrics
The Weeknd – Kiss Land Lyrics
The White House – Statement Re: HR 45 — Repealing the Affordable Care Act Lyrics
Wu-Tang Clan – Execution In Autumn Lyrics
Yahoo! – Yahoo! to Acquire Tumblr Lyrics
The Zombies – She’s not There Lyrics
The Zombies – Time of the Season Lyrics
Niro – Les mains sales Lyrics
Fayçal – Requiem pour encre fine Lyrics
Spreez the MC – Dear Mom Lyrics
French Montana – Gifted Lyrics
M!xTapper – G-Swag Lyrics
Hoobstank – The Reason Lyrics
DJ Quik – Dedication Lyrics
Kay One – Hugo Boss Lyrics
Scotch – VBT 2012 16tel RR vs. ME-L Techrap Lyrics
Sycess – Atme ein Lyrics
Scotch & Das W – Bis die Sonne sich zeigt Lyrics
Quebonafide & TomB – Blockbuster Lyrics
Kenneth Washington – Stranger Lyrics
Breaking Down Basketball – Season by Season Quick Overview (NBA) Lyrics
Dub G – I Don’t Like (Remix) Lyrics
Kanye West – Rant at Adult Swim Upfront Lyrics
ODG – No Syrige Lyrics
Kanye West – New Slaves Lyrics
Kery James – La mort qui va avec… Lyrics
Obie Trice – Bad Bitch Lyrics
It’s plain to see that Lana Del Rey has become quite the pop sensation over the past year. She’s taken the internet by storm and shown Adele how to really make a theme song with The Great Gatsby’s “Young And Beautiful” (move over, “Skyfall”). But in a world where pop music has become upbeat, suggestive hooks over poorly produced EDM beats, where does someone who has described herself as the “self-styled gangsta Nancy Sinatra” fit in?
As seen in the picture above, Ms. Del Rey often projects the most innocent Lolita-esque appearance, even describing herself as “Lolita lost in the hood.” But that image was tainted after hearing her second studio album Born to Die. Is this corrupted innocence what pop music has been lacking? Do we need someone to say things like “pick me up and take me like a vitamin,” or even the infamous “my pussy tastes like Pepsi cola?”
One would at least have to give credit with the amount of success Ms. Del Rey has had: Born to Die has received widespread critical acclaim and has sold over 3 million copies along with receiving a ton of accolades.
Perhaps the most inexplicable thing about Lana Del Rey is her ability to leave absolutely everything and nothing to the imagination of her listeners. It helps to make her music something that is truly fascinating. Her ability to set a scene and tell a story is unparalleled in pop music today, exampled in her emotionally gripping single “Video Games” or the bridge in “Gods and Monsters”
It is very rare to see an artist attack such heavy material, especially knowing who their target audience is (young people). Lana Del Rey has created her own niche in pop music and has fully embraced it, and listeners eat it up. They love the maturity and her ability to tell them a story that eats them alive emotionally. It’s what makes her who she is as an artist.
With all praise comes some hate, and Lana is no exception. Early last year, when she began receiving a lot of mainstream exposure, she performed on Saturday Night Live, an act which received a lot of negative response and earned Ms. Del Rey a lot of hater. But don’t all artists need an opportunity to adjust to the spotlight that comes with their newfound “fame?” Not fretting, Lana, when questioned, simply said
“I’m not a natural performer. But my fans know that.”
She’s definitely made a change over the past year and it shows in her newest single, “Young and Beautiful,” in which she sings
I think it’s safe to say she’ll be just fine.
Anyone who has listened to at least one of Ms. Del Rey’s songs can tell she has been heavily influenced by the icons of the fifties; her influences give her that vintage, throwback style that kids these days seem to enjoy. Everyone knows who Elvis is, everyone knows who Marilyn is, everyone knows who Jesus is; they were all the ultimate symbol of the intangible things they represented. This is also what Lana Del Rey is. She symbolizes an exuberant youthful freedom and the very definition of living, proving that she doesn’t need to “fit in” to the pop music culture. Lana has simply carved her own place in it.
Check out Lana Del Rey’s “Born to Die” on Rap Genius.
- Do Kanye’s high tops come in girl sizes?
- You would have to be a total slut to date Chris Brown
- Did you know Ghostface Killa has a blog??
- Ooooo is that a thug passion?
- How does Beyonce dance in those shoes??
- Did you get the new Drake album?
- Did you get the new Common album?
- Did you know Drake is part Jewish?
- Is Rap Genius working on your computer? I keep getting the pinwheel thingy
- Lupe is Muslim…but he’s still, like, got a lot of respect for women
- I think when Gucci Mane talks about making love to the money, he’s really talking about a girl
- My boyfriend says I look like Rihanna
- Ohh you mean the guy from “Community”?
- Donald Glover is the next Kanye…
- I don’t know, he’s kind of ghetto…
- This is my “thug face” (makes kissy face)
- I be that pretty motherfucker.. right?
The week of May 17th, 2013 pits IRS scandals with phone hacking, Kanye West, stem cells, and David Beckham, leaving shocking news for every type of person. Though West’s ranting on stage is nothing new, the retirement of Manchester United’s legendary player beside a partial meltdown of the United States' bureaucracy is perhaps even more chaotic than the already tumultuous spring. Here are the News Genius Quotes of the Week for May 17th.
News Genius: We’ll never retire. Or be cloned. Maybe.
5 — “They used names like Tea Party or Patriots and they selected cases simply because the applications had those names in the title. That was wrong, that was absolutely incorrect, insensitive, and inappropriate — that’s not how we go about selecting cases for further review.”
The scandal of the week confirmed what many had suspected during the 2012 presidential election campaign: the IRS, particularly the Cincinnati office, pursued political groups outside of normal processes when considering each for 501c(4) tax status. While Lerner refers particularly to groups with “conservative,” “Tea Party,” or “patriot” in their name, the same extreme questioning was levied against liberal groups. While the issue is likely to lead to a number of resignations, misplaced Congressional hearings, and more gridlock, the defense of the IRS is inexcusable; sources note that the deputy commissioner knew of the issue as early as May 2012. Unfortunately for America, these kinds of struggles will inevitably delay action in Congress even more.
4 — “I have a very high confidence that versions of this technique will work very well; it’s something that the field has been waiting for”
Via Wikimedia Commons
While stem cells are one of the most promising medical therapy techniques in the modern era, their source is far more bleak: human embryos. This barrier has made the widespread adoption of stem cell research and therapy rather limited, hindering the progress of new information that the field needs. Thus, the recent success in cloning human stem cells is a major breakthrough for the study of future therapies, a controversy-free source that promises, when perfected, to eliminate federal restrictions, claims of “baby killing,” and similar obstacles to widespread adoption. Don’t expect a Star Wars “Attack of the Clones” type future, though — this research is a far cry from fully cloning a human being.
3 — “To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country.”
Via Telegraph UK
After one of the most prolific football careers in history, one of the legends has finally retired from the sport he helped define. David Beckham — striker, model, and short term champion of American soccer — has completed his last season with Manchester United. His career placed him in the role of the UK’s hero, sending him to every championship, tournament, and college poster imaginable. He even landed a role in the title of a movie, Bend it Like Beckham. While a host of talented players, such as Messi, Villa, and Rooney, will continue to thrill, the game will certainly miss its golden child for years to come. Let’s just hope this doesn’t turn into another Favre situation; after all, it’s better to burn out than to fade away.
2 — “I ain’t kissin' nobody’s motherfucking babies — I drop your baby and you sue me and shit.”
Via USA Today
Adding to an already prolific group of concert rants, Kanye West at a private May 15th show broke down his issues with “celebrity” and fame. While the topics — paparazzi, Saturday Night Live, and private life — were nothing new, the last line of the rant left everyone confused. Why are there babies? Is Kanye dropping an infant on purpose? The answer is more innocent: West is not a politician that picks babies from the crowd, kisses them, and poses for pictures. He is here to make music, not to show off (cough). He has no time for the camera, dropping the “baby” as soon as it gets passed to him, as he runs off to the studio. Yes, you should sue him for that. And call the police.
1 — “I am writing to object in the strongest possible terms to a massive and unprecedented intrusion by the Department of Justice into the newsgathering activities of The Associated Press.”
Via McClatchy DC
News broke this week of a long-term wiretapping case opened by the Department of Justice secretly, against the Associated Press. After the AP broke a story about the outing of a CIA agent in Turkey, the DOJ legally, but privately, acquired a warrant to tap 20 AP-associated lines, tracking the discussion of classified information related to the Turkey case and new developments. While the warrant, however corrupt, is completely legal under post-Patriot act lawmaking, the situation is entirely suspect. After revelations that the Federal Government has a hold on all digital communications surfaced last week, nothing is safe. Kids, here’s the new motto: never put it in writing or speech.
This episode of Outside the Lines With Rap Genius, we bring you a great convo with R.A. the Rugged Man. Hot on the heels of the release of his new album, we talk to the underground legend about his open and honest lyrics, his rap idols, his friendships with Biggie and Norah Jones, and tons more.