Our best posts
- IllumiNOT-Me: 10 Ways Rappers Deny Being in the Illuminati
- Kanye West Is Not a Jackass
- From Art Basel to Art Yeezy: Kanye's "New Slaves" Projections as Contemporary Art
- Top 50 Songs of 2013 // January - June
- Slap Genius: Hip Hop's Best Slaps
- When Hip Hop Goes to Court: Rap Lawsuits and Music Law
- She’s Just Being Miley... and Every Other Pop Star in American Music History Ever
- Trap Geniuses: Why Selling Rap is like Selling Crack
- Why No One Has Killed Your Favorite Rapper
- The Rapper's Flow Encyclopedia
- The Beastie Chronicles — I
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations
- Verse to Verse: Arcade Fire
- Top 10 Television Theme Songs
- Verse to Verse: Kanye West
- Verse to Verse: Jay-Z
- Rap Genius Presents: The Top 100 Rap Songs of 2012
- Scarface: The Holy Bible of Rap Music
- Great Expectations: The RapGenius Guide to Rap Albums in 2013
- 100 Most Upvoted Annotations of 2013
- The Personification of Hip-Hop
- NEW VIDEO from the latest verified rapper on Rap Genius: 50 Cent
- NAS INTERVIEW: why Nas wants to explain his own lyrics on Rap Genius
- Showing Our Poetry Love
- Rappers Crying
- POETRY GENIUS: How To Read And Why
- Life is Good's Future Impact
- GODFATHERS OF RAP GENIUS: Ben Horowitz Interviews Steve Stoute
- Rap Genius Explanation Competition
- The Top 5 People Rappers Reference
- RapGenius Ranks the First Half of 2012
- Hannibal Buress: First Comedian Verified on Rap Genius
- Bricks to Billboard, Grams to Grammys: Rap Genius' Top 25 Jay-Z Verses
- RGU Lesson Two: Me and the Devil Blues
- What Does Trust Mean in the Rap Game?
- RGU Lesson One: The Signifyin' Monkey
- A$AP ROCKY INTERVIEW: Maboo v. Nardwuar
- Who's this new Bada$$ kid???: A UK Perspective
- Professor Rapper: 7 Uncommon Black History Facts as Told by Kendrick Lamar
- Bragging in Hip Hop
- Inside the Lines with RZA: Part 1
- Rap Genius goes Inside the Lines with Mac Miller
- Interview With B Horowitz: RG Verified Blogger
- Are the fans getting more ignorant?
- Rap Genius Interviews B.o.B.
- An Open Letter from Donald Glover
- Rap Genius Nas interview PREVIEW
- Drake Says He's The First Person To Successfully Rap And Sing. Here's why he's wrong.
- Operation Free Earl
- Rap vs. Ronald Reagan
- Rap Genius of the Month: Big Ghostfase
- 30 Rock: On Gunplay and 2Chainz
- What to Expect from Rap Albums in 2012: The RapGenius Guide to Listening Safely in a Hype-Cycled Universe
- Why There Will Never be a 'GOAT' in Hip-Hop: An Extensive Analysis
- SUBJECT: Jones, Russel Tyrone
- The Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011
- Top 100 Rap Songs of 2011
- The Direction of Hip-Hop
- The Recent History Of Mixtape Trolling
- Rappers' Obsession with Jewish Culture
- Dear Shyne, Ask Yourself: 'What Is A Classic Album?' Ya Bish!
- Five Tips For Unsigned Rappers
- The Navy Seal Who Killed Osama bin Laden loves That "Red Nation" Track MTV Banned
- Is Pete Rock's Disappointment Justified?
- Stereo IQ's Top Albums of 2012
- R.A THE RUGGED MAN AND EMINEM: BEEF, OR NO BEEF?
- Is The Rap Game Pretentious?
- My Philosophy on Socrates References in Rap
- Machine Gun Kelly Inside the Lines
- WTF is a Basquiat?
- You Can't Rap, But You Can Make A Song
- "Six Minutes, Slim Shady, You're On"
- Retrospect for Lu: One Year Later...
- Rap Genius Political Appointees 2012
- "Triple Beam Dreams": A Reinvigoration of Tradition
- Top 10 Lines From Drake's "Take Care"
- Rap Geniuses of the Month: Kembe X / Alex Wiley
- Freak Wit It - The Five Greatest Censored Versions of Hip Hop Songs
- Black Star: Let's ALL Get Down!
- Inside the Rappers Studio: A Witty Nicki Minaj?
- Can’t Wait To Be King: If J. Cole Really Were Simba
- Don’t Become a Rapper If: A Checklist
- All in the Name of P***Y: 7 Women Who Made Fresh Beef Into Poison Meat
- Fuck You; Pay Me (By Not Buying My Music)
- The Many Nicknames of Lil Wayne
- Introducing the Rap Map™ - your guide through the gangsta terrain of the planet
- Hella Based: The Many Faces of Lil B
- Is it right to hate fame?
- Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor: All the Lyrics Explained
- Rappers: They're Just Like Us!
- 10 Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas For The Hip Hop/Music Lover
- Lupe Fiasco: The Proust of Rap
- Which Throne are You Watching?
- Kill Whitey: Top 10 Corporate Greed Rap Lyrics
- Common: "A Letter To The Law" Video Breakdown
- Liquid Swords: Rap Genius on the Rap Genius
- Joey Bada$$ & Kendrick Lamar: This Generation’s Biggie & Pac? : A UK Perspective
- The Five Nastiest, Most Explicit Sex Scenes in Rap History
- My Kingdom For A Platinum Football Field
- Selena Gomez does Birthdays, Biebers, and Beats in her new album Stars Dance
- Tyler the Creator - Goblin
- Wax: From YouTube To Def Jam
- Eminem's Infinite Explained
- Bad Meets Evil Hell: The Sequel Lyrics
- Tyler gets pizzunked
- Kirk Knight Shines on Summer Knights: A UK Perspective
- Track-by-Track Guide to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- ALL of Tyler, The Creator's "Bastard" Explicado
- Eatbox: rappers eat pussy sometimes, too
- Wale: The Antithesis of J. Cole
- MCA Keeps Rocking in the Afterlife
- THE HISTORY OF HIP HOP (as told by Rap Genius)
- Big Sean's "Finally Famous"
- That Shit Cray: Top Ten Meme Lines of the Year Thus Far
- I Think I'm Turning Japanese: Rap's Infatuation With Benihana
- ENTER THE WU: 36 Chambers
- Raponomics: Top Ten Foreign Currency References Of All Time
- Curren$y's Weekend At Burnie's Syncs With The Film
- Rage Against the Machine: Rap, Rock and Revolution
- Rappers and the Alphabet: A Romance on the D.L.
- International Underground: Hip Hop as Global Rebel Music
- Rap Genius LLP: A NEW Legal Service for the Rap Community
- Tyler, The Creator vs. Woody Allen
- "These n*ggas be mad -- that's why they stay hating" : Thoughts on V-Nasty
- Frank Ocean Nostalgia Ultra - all the lyrics explained
- Interview With Jay-Z's Financial Biographer: Rap Genius Editor SnoopZoggyZogg
- Rap Genius Watch The Throne Cover
- Excerpt: They call me Jay Electronica
- One Love. Elzhi's "Elmatic"
- Notes on "Ready To Die"
- Al Qaeda / Taliban rap paper plate awards: a discussion of Jihadi references in rap lyrics
- The Many Nicknames of Tyler, the Creator
- Top 25 Rap Albums of 2011
- 2011's Best Twitter Moments
- Rap Genius in the OED
- Curren$y "Covert Coup": All The Lyrics Explained
- Belief in Based God
- Lil Wayne Carter 4 Cover
- An Intro to Break Beats
- "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop
- Big Sean is Finally Famous...boiiiii
- Gil Scott Heron - Father of Rap
- Hip-Hop's TECHNOlogic Revolution
- Pass Through, Ghost-like: A Multi Before I Die Mixtape
- Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
- Nas interview PREVIEW
- Dominic Strauss Khan & Ghostface
- Adrien Brody Reciting 10 Crack Commandments
- M-m-m-maybach Music
- Crooked I Decodes Crooked I
- Lupe Fiasco's LASERS
- Jay-Z: "Rap Is Poetry"
- XV Reasons Why XV's The Next Big Thing
- A Modest Proposal: Why those white-bread, hella suburban rappers matter
- "Tastes like Swag": Cooking with Lil B (Part1: Wonton Soup)
- We Found Earl!
- Nas, Illmatic: All the lyrics to every song explained
- Wiz Khalifa: probably fucked your bitch
- An Open Letter Regarding OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All)
- Kanye & Pharrell at Design in Miami: Breaking Down Understanding and Rap Genius
- Most commonly misheard rap lines
- Kanye in Paris
- Tyler the Creator: Tron Cat
- Religion in Hip Hop: A RapGenius Overview
- Bad Meets Sequel?
- Rhyming Words with Themselves, sort of: Top Ten Homophone Rhymes of All Time
- Interview: Vince Staples
- Donald Glover Interview: "What the fuck is a Childish Gambino?"
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Despot reveals a supergroup and gives his fans a SPECIAL MESSAGE!
- Subliminal Satanic Messages in Jay-Z
- On "Blue Slide Park": A Review of Moderate Proportions
- The Classic Yo! MTV Raps Returns, One Night Only!
- Cadence & Flow -- A Study in MMG
- Curren$y Interview With DDS
- Jay-Z vs. RapGenius.com: Who's Better at Decoding Jay-Z's Lyrics?
- Lupe Fiasco's "Words I Never Said" Music Video
- Virginia's Finest: Intalek Interview
- "Well I Guess, This Is My Dissertation" - Notes on Graduation
- "Well I guess, this is my dissertation"- Graduation: Decoded
- Fabolous "I'm Raw": A Close Reading
- Dre - Is Detox coming?
- Lil B "Charlie Sheen" music video breakdown
- Fabolous SOUL Tape
- RAP GENIUS EXCLUSIVE: Nicki Minaj's Titty
- Hip Hop & Islam: The Sacred Nexus
- Hell: The Sequel
- Rap Genius on German MTV!
- RIP Macho Mane - Wrestler, Rapper, Baller
- "Don't Wanna Go Home" lyrics – Jason DeRulo
- Nicki Minaj Pink Friday: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song decoded
- Drake, Thank Me Later: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained
- "Empire State of Mind" video breakdown
- "Yonkers" Video Breakdown
- Lil Wayne Explains Lil Wayne
- Psychiatrist Advises Degenerate Geniuses to "Check Your Head"
- StereoIQ Lines of the Week: July 30-August 7
- Osama Got Popped..
- DIY: Turning the RG shirt into an RG Lady-Tee
- ALL the lyrics to Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Explained
- RIP Biggie Smalls (the Rap Genius)
- Congressman Tweets Dickpic: Inspired by Kanye? Or Mannie Fresh? Who knows?
- Woman's work: transporting drugs for rappers
- Thank You Bouillabased God
- Rap Genius of the Month: Don Trip
- Hip-hop Superbowl: Black and Yellow vs Green and Yellow
- Jay-Z on Biting Biggie's Rhymes
- Pusha's "Fear of God" Mixtape: Don't Be Scurred
- Eminem, Recovery: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- All of the Lights: Seizure-tastic
- V-Nasty Saying The "N-Word"
- Cole Summer Saga Continues..
- Interview with producer and OFWGKTA affiliate BrandenBeatBoy
- I Love Hip-hop, But...Part I
- Rappers: Suckered by Obama's Charm, Just Like the Rest of Us...
- big boi exclusive: new outkast next?
- Eminem vs. Weezy: Who's the King of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative lyrics?
- Lil Wayne and Birdman's Notorious K.I.S.S.
- Was Slug the O.G. Drake?
- The 5 degrees of decadence in "Fashion Rap"
- Either Kanye and Ghostface both sleep head to toe with their respective cousins, or Kanye is biting
- "Get it?" Why do rappers explain their own lines in the Age of Rap Genius?
- Roots, How I Got Over: ALL the lyrics to EVERY song explained!
- RIP Big Pun
- Rap Genius University: Rhyme Types
- Lulu's son shine: What is Jay-Z talking about in "A Star is Born"?
- Jay-Z, Eminem, and "Renegade": Who Killed Whom?
- Woman sleeps with Nas, Jay-Z, and Allen Iverson; reveals penis secrets
- "I Got More at Stake Than Philly": Reasonable Doubt decoded
- "Can't Knock The Hustle": How Jay-Z Came Up on Ace of Spades
- The Top Ten Verses of 2011
- Introducing RapMetrics™: The Birth of Statistical Analysis of Rap Lyrics
- Rap Genius Interview: Adam Bradley, editor of the Yale Anthology of Rap
- The Game R.E.D. Album Preview
- Wale Attention Deficit: DECODED
- Lil Wayne on Roman's Revenge 2.0: Only One Verse?
- Poll: What are the best "fuck songs" / "love songs" in rap music?
- Wiz & Amber sitting in a tree.. T - A - T - T - O - O - I -N -G
- "Words I Never Said": Lupe Fiasco's Anthem for the Egyptian Revolution?
- ALL of the "All of the Lights"
- Tat My Name On You So I Know It's Real
- Carter IV Preview: Lil Wayne rolling with a cougar
- 420 NEWS: Kid Cudi quits quitting weed
- Lil B album to be called "I'm Gay"
- Hipster Girl Raps "Look At Me Now"
- Prodigy's Book: The Anti-Decoded
- Lupe Fiasco's Long-Awaited Lasers...Cover Art
- Thurnis Haley: Really Into Golf
- Tyler Arrested In L.A.
- Tyler the Creator & Odd Future on Tim Westwood
- Goblin L.A. Concert
- Lil Wayne Carter IV Release Date
- Big K.R.I.T. booed at Highline Ballroom
- Odd Future Is The New Beatles
- "Dreams Money Can Buy" by Drake
- "Return Of Simba" by J. Cole
- FREESTYLE BATTLE: Lupe Fiasco vs. Bill O'Reilly
- Annals of the Rap Orientalist: Talk of Money in Rap
- "Acura Integurl" by Frank Ocean
- "She Wanna Have My Baby" by The Game
- Kendrick Lamar "Hiii Power" Music Video Breakdown
- "Marvins Room" by Drake
- "Everywhere I Go" by 2Pac
- "Tree" - Kid Cudi & Wiz Khalifa
- "Loud Noises" by Bad Meets Evil
- 2Pac on Intellectual Property
- "Ronald Reagan Era" by Kendrick Lamar
- Detox - July 26 Release Date?
- Lil Wayne: "Dear Anne" Lyrics Explicado..
- "Her Room" by Teyana Taylor
- Interview - Indie Artist "b.a.sick"
- Obama sings "Let's Stay Together"
- MO Purp please! New music from Alex Wiley, Kembe X and Chance the Rapper
- Hip Hop's Hero's Hubris?: RG Introduces Asaad
- Lupe Fiasco (and Big Sean) - "Wait for Me"
- Drake Interview
- Lyrics to Tyga's Well Done 2 Mixtape
- Norwegian Mass Murderer Hates Hip-hop
- The Bullitts X Jay Electronica MOOVIE
- "I'm On One" lyrics – Tyga
- "Oh My Remix" lyrics – DJ Drama
- Odd Future in Germany
- MeLo-X = Sade + The Weeknd
- J Cole Breaks Down His Album Title
- Soulja Boy: The Movie (Trailer)
- "Trouble on My Mind" lyrics – Pusha T
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain says farewell
- "I'm On One Freestyle" lyrics – Chamillionaire
- What's Wrong With John Galliano?
- Tyler The Creator Bonds With Tim Westwood
- Oh Mercy Me: New Music & An Artist to Watch
- "Uncle Otis" lyrics – The Game
- Consequence's "Pusha T Diss"
- Frank Ocean on "Watch The Throne".. Good Move? Bad Move?
- Rap Genius Reviews Dreams and Nightmares
- Jetlifer SinnersRemorse Reviews Curren$y's Priest Andretti
- Nardwuar Interviews Casey Veggies
- MJ Faded Way: Perfect
- Big Sean Arrested
- Artist in Residence: Black Cobain spits a fire freestyle
- Wiz Khalifa x Curren$y x Big Sean = STONER MIXTAPE OF THE CENTURY
- Cam'ron Threatens iTunes
- Black Hippy Interview
- Watch The Throne (Snippets)
- Birdman Forbes Interview
- NEW MUSIC: "Hotel" by NRK (Nobody Really Knows)
- Watch The Based
- In the Zone: Jay-Z and Kanye West Live at Bank Atlantic Center
- EARL IS FREE!
- Rap Genius Editor Teaches Kreayshawn Makeup Techniques
- INSIDE GAME: The Making of Martians vs Goblins
- Rap Genius of the Month: Touré
- Kreayshawn's Ballinest Fan? Drake
- A$AP FERGENSTEIN: on the origins of "A$AP"
- "Watch The Throne" Preview
- Ambition 2: BEHIND THE SCENES
- J Cole on How Jay-Z REALLY Feels About "Cole World: A Sideline Story"
- Game's track-by-track breakdown of the Red Album
- Jay-Z 101 at Georgetown University
- Young Dr. Dre on TV!
- Drake care...
- Lil B's "I'm Gay"
- #Ambition (cover)
- Freddie Gibbs: Cold Day In Hell Cover
- BEEF: Fox News vs. Jon Stewart (& Common)
- Young Jeezy's TM103: Hustlerz Ambition Review
- Siri vs Biggie
- Bad Meets Evil on Fuse TV at Bonnaroo
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Cyhi is an Otis Fan
- N***AWATCH 2011: V-Nasty Calls A Black Man "N***a" In A Fight
- Mac Miller "Blue Slide Park" Tracklist
- Q: what will be this year's MOST MEME Halloween costume?
- MMG loves lyrics just like RG
- RUH ROH: Tyler the Creator Arrested (Again)
- NEW VIDEO: Lupe Fiasco's "Bitch Bad"
- RG RANCH SXSW RECAP (part 2)
- Introducing the Rap Genius Artist in Residence: The Black Cobain Experience
- 13 YEAR OLD KENDRICK LAMAR WISHES HE HAD RAP GENIUS
- TDE on Tour & Too funny
- Southern Boys Collide: Big KRIT & Yelawolf collaboration coming soon
- Rap Hoods - Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Big K.R.I.T. goes live from the underground and gets verified with RapGenius
- Lupe is a rap god but also human
- ras kass keeps it raw
- What is Wayne? The Artist Lives
- New Freshness: Urbana Poppin' Champaign (UPC)
- Ab-Soul Drawing Contest on Rap Genius?!
- Monday Morning with the BRKF$T Club
- Rhyme Spotters: Twinkies
- RIP KING CAPITAL STEEZ
- Artist in Residence: The Confessional, Day One
- Common talks LUV on Rap Genius - Live Ustream!
- first ever freestyled verified explanation (don't ask me how)
- Lupe Fiasco Exclusive world premiere: breaking down "bitch bad"
- Ras Kass Behind the Lines with Rap Genius
- Behind the Bars with RiFF RaFF, part 1
- Behind the Bars with Riff Raff, part 2 (prepare to be enlightened)
- Does Bruno Mars have a space in hip hop?
- Slaughterhouse tells RG what they really think about Black Hippy
- LUPE FIASCO EXCLUSIVE world premiere: Explore Lamborghini Angels
- LUPE IS HERE
- BIG BOI NOW VERIFIED ON RG!
- EXCLUSIVE Lyrics and More From Skyzoo's New *A Dream Deferred* -- UPDATED!!
- What Does Common Think About Rap Genius?
- 2012 BET Cyphers Lyrics: Who spit fire?
- Grand Theft Audio: The Music of San Andreas
- The Importance of Music Education
- big boi RG fan contest: are you big's rap genius?
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 1
- MEEK MILL EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE: Maybach curtains
- Ne-Yo is Now verified!
- Dreadlocks. Rasta?
- Blog fam Interview: AFH - Kendrick Lamar "GRIT"
- Celebrating Common: 20 years of verified explanations, pt. 2
- Verified Artist Lushlife is hosting an RG COmpetition
- Joey Bada$$ new single "Unorthodox"
- RANCH RECAP: RG at SXSW part 1
- Rap Genius x BET: Video Breakdown of Stalley's "Fountain of Youth"
- The Fine Art of the Name Drop: From Pac to R.A.
- News Genius Lines of the Week, 05/03/2013
- Kush and Corinthians: Religious Contradictions in Hip Hop
- The Honors English Rap Genius Challenge - CONTEST RULES
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/10/2013
- Skylar Grey x RG x Gigg "Final Warning" Verse Contest
- Young and Beautiful: The Anomaly That is Lana Del Rey
- News Genius Quotes of the Week, 05/17/2013
- The 7 Stages of Yeezus: From "Through the Wire" to "I Am a God"
- "Jimmy's Back": A Documentary about Mass Incarceration by Dice Raw
- Why Kanye Chose No Album Artwork
- Top 10 Whistleblowers
- Wale Contest: Unlock the Meaning Behind The Gifted Lyrics and Win!
- Artist in Residence: Making of "The Recipe" freestyle w/ Black Cobain
- Honors English Lyrics Challenge Coming Soon - Sneak Peak
- TV Night at Cam's
We’re all familiar with the “Hip Hop Battle,” when (usually) two men are engaging in a sparring of words in an attempted concept of who-can-embarrass-the-other-the-worst. But, it’s all for sh-ts and giggles until that “how-much-you-love-your-baby-money” comes in to play. Although an actual kidnapping has never occurred, a few have been robbed of some heartbeats in the process. Whether it refers to a friend, a lover, or a baby mother, once women are added into the equation, the stakes are higher and the egos are flying high as eagles. Here’s 7 of the most popular battles that went from subliminal to BLATANT DISRESPECT by a simple mention of the opposite sex.
For starters, number 7., Rihanna
As mentor, motivator and inspiration, Jay-Z helped catapult Rihanna into the world of super-stardom she sits upon today. (The b*tch just topped Madonna and Youtube for goodness sake!) But back in the days of puppy love, Chris Brown became a new member of the family. Beginning in Summer 2007, and officially surfacing as a couple in February 2008, the two easily became the most watched couple worldwide.
That definitely didn’t change the following February 2009, when Brown was charged with felony battery and Rihanna’s brutally beatened pictures hit the internet. It was then that Jay-Z was rumored to have referred to Brown as a “dead man walking” and reportedly attempted to blackball his career into a standstill.
While it seems things may have calmed down for Rihanna and Chris over the past year, 2011 proved that Jay-Z isn’t so forgiving.
Having one of the richest moguls in the music industry on your bad side isn’t the greatest blessing.
But women have been the cause of worse disdain in the industry.
Such as our number 6., Serena
We should all be familiar with this sissy quarrel by now (pun intended). Common releases “Sweet” on his album, “The Dreamer.” Most likely, people associated the song’s content with that of Drake and told him on Twitter. Drake got butt-hurt and responded “I might sing, but I ain’t no bitch. If Common got something to say, say it to my face.” Common admits the song wasn’t directed at him, but most definitely applies to him. And so, we get Drake’s “response” on “Stay Schemin'”
Meanwhile, everyone’s aware of the elephant in the room. Common and Serena dated on and off for three years, beginning 2007. Drake, who seemingly started a little something with Serena in 2011 (as told to Angie Martinez and Complex Magazine), was the latest love swirl in the rumor mill. So, it’s only right to assume that the real issue here, ladies and gentlemen, is a case of Helen of Troy, or Serena of Grand Slam Champ (I tried.)
Yet and still, you haven’t seen anything yet….
Number 5 belongs to Beyonce
While your first thought may be Lil Wayne, from which I quoted earlier, the actual culprit is Cam'Ron. Although once labelmates and businesss partners, the beef between the two has lasted well over a decade. In 2000, before rumors of Beyonce and Jay-Z’s love affair hit the mainstream, the (then) two rising stars Cam'Ron and Beyonce recorded the song “Do It Again” for his second LP “S.D.E,” which also included a few diss lines to Jay on the track “Let Me Know”.
But things really heated up when Damon Dash signed Cam'Ron to Roc-A-Fella, co-owned by Jay. A year later, during Jay’s vacation, Dame announced the promotion of Cam'Ron to VP of the booming label. In just two years to follow (2004), Dame and Jay sold 50% interest of Roc-A-Fella to Def Jam which ended in the collapse of the famed label. Cam'Ron went on to say many things about Jay, but none more than his words on “You Got to Love It.” He blamed Jay for his VP snub, a shooting, and the distrust between him and Dame Dash. But he also added:
Clearly it hit a bit of a nerve. Uncharacteristic of Jay-Z, he responded in Rick Ross' “Hustlin' Remix”
And though Jay hardly ever responds anymore, it really hasn’t ended since…
Moving along, number 4 is for Mariah
This time, we’ll just glide over Nick Cannon’s lyrics and stick to the facts. Before Nick Cannon entered the picture, Mariah dated Eminem for a short length of time in 2002. But it was pretty obvious that he never got over her, as he took time out to diss her in “Superman” and “When The Music Stops.” But Mariah put all the rumors to an end when she stated on Larry King Live: “I hung out with him, I spoke to him on the phone. I think I was probably with him a total of four times. And I don’t consider that dating somebody.”
It wasn’t a over. Mariah imitated him on her live tour as a puppet. And so he included her in another rhyme of his on “Jimmy Crack Corn.”
But in 2009, Eminem released “Bagpipes in Baghdad” that detailed his claimed love affair with Mariah Carey, which she denied. Mariah had already wed Nick Cannon a year prior, who took offense to Eminem’s characteristically overly-dramatic lyrics dripped in blood:
Nick Cannon stepped in. Wrote a blog post. Deleted it. Mariah then released “Obsessed” which featured an Eminem look-a-like as the stalker. Eminem then released the brutal diss track “The Warning” which not only slandered both Nick and Mariah, but embarrassed the hell out of his self:
Listen, girly, surely you don’t want me to talk
About how I nutted early cause I ejaculated prematurely
And bust all over your belly and you almost started hurling
And said I was gross, go get a towel, your stomach’s curling
Or maybe you do, but if I’m embarrassin' me I’m embarrassin' you
Nick then responded with a diss I’d rather forget, but it’s the thought that counts right? The two agreed to finally put the feud to rest.
Women really be driving you men mad, huh? It gets no better from here..
Number 3 goes to Chrissy. Yup. From Vh1’s Love & Hip Hop
If you ask why, you must not know too much about Max B. Once a friend and confidant of Jim Jones, Max B was a Dip Set/ByrdGang affiliate. He was the man behind the pen of Jimmy’s successful “We Fly High (Ballin)” and countless other hooks and verses. The “beef” set in, initially, when Max B expressed wanting to do solo work but was denied. Max B left the group, and signed a three album deal with Amalgam Digital alongside Joe Budden and Peedi Craak.
In his solo career, Max B began to make a prominent name for himself. Not too long after, he released this video claiming he committed sexual acts with Jimmy’s long-time girlfriend Chrissy, and released the song “She Touched it In Miami” soon-after. Although the rumor has never been solidified as fact, the next year proved how Jimmy never got over the disrespect.
In 2009, Max B was reprimanded for armed robbery, kidnapping, and murder. He looked to his old friend Jimmy for help (2 million dollar bond), who is said to have only helped him out of love for their mutual friend and rapper Stack Bundles who died a few years previous. But Jimmy agreed on one term— that he handed over his publishing. Since then, the feud hasn’t gone away, but Max is currently awaiting a new trial to appeal his 75 years sentence in jail……..
With that said, number 2 is Faith Evans
This should really be a no-brainer as to why. After having fell in love with the Notorious B.I.G and marrying after only 2 weeks, Faith and Biggie were one of the first known power couples in hip-hop. But before we were robbed of seeings its full potential due to the murder of Biggie in 1997, it was threatened by the most tragic rap battle in history.
At the height of Biggie and Tupac’s feud, Faith Evans became the star attraction of the battle. Tupac, who survived an attempted murder in 1994, believed until his death that Biggie and Puffy were scandalously involved.
To heighten things, Biggie’s “Who Shot Ya,” which he reported was written and recorded well before Tupac’s shooting, released some time in 1995 during Tupac’s allegations. Believing the song was directed at him, Tupac released “Hit Em Up,” and took the feud to new heights:
While Faith denied the allegations, it caused a great split between the two, which was documented in the biopic of Biggie’s life, Notorious.
Although it was said by Junior MAFIA’s Lil Cease that “Long Kiss Goodnight” was Biggie’s response to the record, there was no official response released. And only 3 months after the release of the controversial record, Tupac Shakur was shot to death in Las Vegas. 6 months later, Biggie Smalls met his death by another unknown assailant in Los Angeles.
Here’s number 1. WHO, you ask? That’s Carmen Bryan.
Known as Nas' baby mother, and famed as Jay-Z’s ex-fling, the battle between Jay-Z and Nas got real personal real fast once her identity was revealed.
Things between Nas and Jay-Z were long buzzing under the surface. From the early 90s, when Raekwon beefed with Biggie, Biggie copied Nas' idea for his album cover, and Jigga started switching up flows (if you’re uneducated on this topic, kick up your feet and jam to “Last Real Nigga Alive”) there was a bit of a.. lack of trust, to say the least. But things didn’t heat up to the point of (what we thought then) was no point of return, until both rappers were at nearly equal leveling in their careers.
Both had classic debut albums, huge followings, and were revered nation-wide as guaranteed legends in the game. But, there can only be one at the top, right? Jay-Z blew off some frustration in the popular “TakeOver” and sparked the lighter for the number one rap battle of all time. Through all of the shots thrown in the song, nothing stuck out as much as the provoking:
While many were clueless about the alluded act, Nas responded with the explosive diss record, “Ether” that took the hip-hop world by storm. It’s known today, arguably, as the number one response record in hip-hop history. And clearly, (as you can hear here), it hit Jay hard.
So he responded with this in “Super Ugly”:
All I really know is your ho wants to be with me
And she ain’t playing, believe what I’m saying
She creeps with me and sleeps between the sheets
Me and the boy AI got more in common than just balling and rhyming
Get it? More in Carmen
I came in your Bentley backseat, skeeted in your Jeep
Left condoms on your baby seat
Here nigga, the gloves is off, the love is done
It’s whatever, whenever, however nigga — one
And since you infatuated with saying that gay shit
Yes you was kissing my dick when you was kissing that bitch
Nas then responded on radio, as well. It was such a low blow that even Jay-Z’s mother demanded that he apologized. Which he did. Live on radio. Nas later on went to set the record straight on his follow up album God’s Son on the record “Real Niggas Alive* (mentioned earlier.)
Then this nigga’s with Jigga too much
He used to say Jay wanted my spot
I laughed, stayed home, never hung a lot
A quiet man who used to be alone planning
Baby moms thought I was too quiet, couldn’t stand it
She hit the streets, later on she hitting the sheets
With a rapper who wanted me on his songs, thinking he strong
I taught her how to watch for cars who might follow
Taught her street shit that I know
Her weakness was Shawn yo
But that’s her, I ain’t mad baby, it made me stronger
Now I get my paper longer
Eventually Nas got the last word, but DAMN that was a hell of a ride! You can’t deny the power of the p****y. But for goodness sake, fellas, control yourselves! No matter how hard you fall on lost love, remember what Kanye learned and stay true to finding love the real way, and keeping away from the drama!